Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

Russ departs.....

Russell Martin has left League 1 club Walsall.....saying too much time away from his family as the reason for his departure......

Best of luck for the future Russ........

MY,

I should imagine he has something else lined up more local to his home town.

No suprise there, don't think they loved him quite as much as most of Norfolk did. They've slipped down the table since his arrival. There's been a few criticism's lately on their forums.

I assume his family still live in Norwich. Kids at school etc means a lot of married players play for clubs away from their families. Can't be easy or pleasant and a proper reason for leaving.

Hi Lessingham, haven't seen you post in a while, have I missed you or have you not been on here much lately?. 

Russ wouldn't go there would be?

2 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

It would make the testimonial spicy. 

There won't be many supporting ' Team  Russ' if he does join that lot down there*

* Down there... Both geographically and League position. Also could describe the atmosphere at portaloo rd too.

Russ lives in Brighton, hence LDC's suggestion I should imagine.

If he went to Ipswich what's the big deal he's a professional footballer who has a couple of years left at best,

Anywhere would be better than Walsall

32 minutes ago, daly said:

If he went to Ipswich what's the big deal he's a professional footballer who has a couple of years left at best,

Anywhere would be better than Walsall

I think the big deal is that we're discussing this as supporters. Sure,he's got a living to make, we understand that but as fans we'd rather he didn't play for our rivals. 

I have just visited their forum and the fans didn't like him much.

Described as as a selfish player who didn't get on with other players.

Vastly different from the Russ at Norwich.

Clearly he didn't rate the move and hated the place.

I personally do not think he should play on and should now seek a role in a managerial set up in some form.

He always used to say with confidence that he will be here in a coaching/management role, however that was pre Webber so I’m not convinced that would work out for him.

It is a confusing one- Walsall fans seem a combination of confused about the reasoning and pleased he's gone as he's not been good.

I wonder if he still has the heart for playing- won't be surprised if he retires and goes into coaching full time.

If he does go to Ipswich then that really will be the final nail in the coffin for them right now... and the coffin has many nails already bashed in... oh dear.

I suppose if he did go there and they stayed up at least we would have a ready-made scapegoat to blame it on? 😉

Apples

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

I suppose if he did go there and they stayed up at least we would have a ready-made scapegoat to blame it on? 😉

Apples

Pity that all professional footballers do not have the same attitude as Russell Martin eg Pogba at Man U

Cannot see Ipswich dropping out of TC and unless we secure top 2 probably be continuing  the Local Derby next season

I have a friend who is a Walsall fan - tells me that his performances were dire and the fans really did not take to him. It’s been sad watching his decline - was a great servant to the club but his legs seem to have gone some time ago. We certainly kept faith in him at least 1.5 seasons too long...l2 might be his standard now

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

MK Dons are a lot closer to his family than Walsall, which his first priority

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well he's certainly not endeared himself to Walsall fans.

It's all happened very quickly, almost like it was done before it was announced. Walsall fans will have noticed. While it may be 'closer to home ' if he lives in Brighton  it's not going to save him that much traveling time.