Sign in to follow this  
grinner

who drops out for god

i know hucks will play on saturday,as leon is cup tied.but who should be left out on saturday week.could he play on left wing and have mcviegh on the right and give hendo a rest .or hucks up front with leon.what a great position to be in boss.

It is probably about the right time to give young Henderson a rest, rather than burn him out. I fancy the following line up:

Green

Edworthy, Fleming, Mackay, Drury

McVeigh, Holt, Francis, Huckerby

Svensson McKenzie

Subs: Crichton, Shackell, Brennan, Jarvis, Roberts

I''d go for that formation and list of personnel, seems pretty balanced and with Hucks and McV on the wings theres plenty of pace... Could also see Hucks and McV swapping at various points of the game, to bamboozzle the oppositions defenders...

I''d certainly pay good money to see that line up!!! Not sure though if Hucks could play left wing as i really can''t see him tracking back to help drury, no place for rivers on the bench i see, damm shame he and worthy don''t get on, on his day he can scare defenders (nearly) the way hucks does!!!

Huckerby has been superb as a centre forward and now we sign him you lot want to shove out on the left wing.

The reason he is so effective is that even though he is up front he can appear anywhere and the opposition don''t know what to do with him- does the centre half follow him out to the left wing or pass him on to the full back. By drifting out to the left it then allows McVeigh to cut in.

Putting him on the left wing would take all this away. Being a left winger would mean he would have to be far more responsible and do some defending which ain''t gonna happen.

You wouldn''t tell Wenger to play Henry on the left wing for exactly the same reason!!

Svensson and Mckenzie will have to be on their toes as there is only one place up for grabs. Won''t it be nice to have some strength in depth and real competition for places.

Nobby G- you''ve got in it one! Our success is about a balanced team- Hucks could play wide left against say mid-table opposition but not at the highest level as we need him occupying their centre backs. Same old story, too many fans have never played football at any level. All of a sudden they are tactical experts. Leave it to Nigel. OTBC

Agree with Laurie´s mail - trust it is a nickname, and not the real Laurie Sheffield - Huckerby must be played as a striker. Although many expect Svensson to take the role of target player, from what I have heard Mckenzie is better in the air than his height would have you believe (as was Laurie Sheffield!), and he appears to have the ability to hold the ball up, so perhaps a Huckerby/McKenzie combination is not unthinkable. One final note of good cheer prior to the New Year, we must be going in to the New Year with the best situation for years as regards injuries, with only the long - term absentee Abbey out. Hope this is not speaking too soon!

i aslo i hav to agree we finially get hucks and u wanna play him on the wing. this is the formation i would play

GREEN

EDWORTHY MACKAY FLEMING DRURY(C)

MCVEIGH MULRTYNE HOLT BRENNAN

HUCKERBY SVENSSON

SUBS: ROBERTS, MCKENZIE, FRANCIS, SHACKELL, CRICHTON

SORRY TO LEON I KNOW HE HAS SCORED 3 IN 3 BUT I THINK SVENSSON WILL WIN MORE HEADERS. AND LEON WOULD BE DANGER COMING OF THE BENCH WHEN IT ANT GOING RIGHT

you can''t play huckerby on the left - that would mean he''d have to trackback and defend. thats why he is better than a striker than a winger

Firstly to Nobby, If you watch Henry you will see that he spends a lot of the match wide left up front and it doesn''t seem to stop him scoring.

Secondly to Laurie, I have played football at a reasonable level and I have run several football teams so I do know a bit about tactics. I am guessing that you have not watched Huckerby much because if you had you would see that he clearly likes to play on the left. If you saw the Cardiff game then you would have seen how Huckerby gave their right back a torrid time after receiving the ball wide left and then attacking goal. He also likes to take the ball left and then cuts back on his right foot to shoot.

I am not trying to tell Worthy how he should line up his team as he is doing ok without my help. If you read my first message you will see that I said I would like to see that starting line up.

you can''t drop mulryne even though he was injuried against a poor derby team on sunday.

Holt and Francis are both ''''Stoppers'''' and people who break up play.
Muryne is a creative player - who does the ball spreading but''s tackling is questionable.

If we played Holt + Francis it would be the same as Malky + Fleming, again both stoppers albeit further up the field.

Do we Really want our four central players being uncreative?
This is what was so good about kenton in the middle of defence - he added creativity, as mulryne does to the midfield.

Mulryne + Francis for me, but worthy wont drop gary

Just a couple of points really:
Silver Fox, although Henry spends a lot of time out wide, he is not deployed as a midfielder or a winger is he? He is not given the restrictions of being a midfielder and thats why he scores the goals, he has no defensive responsibilities. I think if we played Hux wide in midfield it would be brilliant from an attacking point of view, we would be awesome going forward but I wouldn''t be so sure of how disciplined he would be when we didn''t have the ball. I don''t think we be balanced in the midfield from a defensive point of view. Then again it''s just my opinion NW may play Hux there and it works out, who am I to say.

Finally, I think it''s brilliant we can have this sort of discussion about who should be playing because we have good players not in the team, in years gone by the only reason we have debated positions is because the people in the team were doing badly, Daryl Such to think of one. It''s so nice to be getting a good squad of players together. OTBC!

Hooray, a football discussion!!! I was wondering if we were ever going to have a football related discussion on this message board again.

Huckerby could easily be played left wing, but as everyone pointed out that would involve tracking back. However, it''s a good option if we are all out for the victory in the last part of the game I reckon. And Francis isn''t just a stopper at all. He is much more of a goal-getter than Holt, and Mullers too. I think there might be a way we could play all three, but I''m not sure how it would work. This would be my formation -

Crichton ... only joking

Green
Briggs Fleming Mackay Drury
Holt
Mulryne Francis
McVeigh
Svensson Huckerby

And you''re SO right about having a squad of players there now, no room for complacency in the team.

since everyone else is posting 16''s

Greenie
Edworthy Flem Malky Drury
Rivers Mullers Francis Macca
Huckerby Iwan

Bench: Leon Svensson Crichton Holty Hendo/Jarvis

Maybe even Lewis on the Bench as long term Crichton replacment (or Greeno replacement when he leaves)

no i ain''t

i belive huckerby and the big man up front could work well especially as huckerby cna hold the ball up for 10 minutes whilst he gets into the penalty box