Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Ben Marshall

Well going by that cup performance against Portsmouth alongside their desperate need for fullbacks and i'd go as far to say this wouldn't strengthen them!

This story has been knocking around a while, birmingham were also trying to get him in but were apparently told he isn’t available. 

If Norwich do loan him out then there must be at least one ‘home-grown’ player coming in. 

Marshall is a proven Championship player and for me it does raise a question mark over why Farke hasn’t been able to get more out of him. Not necessarily as a starter, but you’d think he could contribute something beyond cup appearances. 

Can’t see him going anywhere this season, useful, homegrown backup. Hasn’t had many opportunities in his preferred position. 

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This story has been knocking around a while, birmingham were also trying to get him in but were apparently told he isn’t available. 

If Norwich do loan him out then there must be at least one ‘home-grown’ player coming in. 

Marshall is a proven Championship player and for me it does raise a question mark over why Farke hasn’t been able to get more out of him. Not necessarily as a starter, but you’d think he could contribute something beyond cup appearances. 

Had an opportunity to impress against Portsmouth albeit not in his preferred position. Certainly didn't take the chance, regardless.

The home grown is the big blocker.  Can see him moving on but not before July.

Gis chance to have an impact in a more suitable role was scuppered by Hanley last weekend so i dont read too much into that, but an appearance as the player ahead of the full back from the bench must be coming.  

Edited by ZLF
Fat fingers

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Had an opportunity to impress against Portsmouth albeit not in his preferred position. Certainly didn't take the chance, regardless.

I feel being shoved to left back in a team reduced to 10 men having not had a minute of senior football for months is barely a fair chance to impress. 

Farke has a habit of freezing out players with little chance of coming back into favour. 

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not exactly. He was started in a more favourable attacking position, and started brightly. But after a re-shuffle due to Hanley's red card, found himself playing as a make shift left back! 

Marshall isn't a full back. He can fill in there, but he hasn't had a run of games in his best position therefore its difficult and rather unfair to judge him. I'd like to see him start on the opposite side to Hernandez, in the three behind Pukki. I hope he gets a chance, because his form for Millwall in a similar position last year was pretty spectacular. 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I feel being shoved to left back in a team reduced to 10 men having not had a minute of senior football for months is barely a fair chance to impress. 

Farke has a habit of freezing out players with little chance of coming back into favour. 

Marshall was given a chance as a starter at the beginning of the season and he didn't really take it - indeed he blotted his copybook with really bad defensive errors against West Brom and with the last minute goal that cost us so dearly at Sheffield Utd. He was then ill/injured for a long period. Under these circumstances, to blame Farke for 'freezing him out' is quite frankly ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Marshall was given a chance as a starter at the beginning of the season and he didn't really take it - indeed he blotted his copybook with really bad defensive errors against West Brom and with the last minute goal that cost us so dearly at Sheffield Utd. He was then ill/injured for a long period. Under these circumstances, to blame Farke for 'freezing him out' is quite frankly ridiculous. 

But not in his favoured position. 

I'm sure many would have not been too fussed had Steipermann been shifted in the summer, on the back of a season in which he played very little and in an unorthodox role. 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Still a chance for him here to impress as I don't go along with this idea that Farke freezes out players. Stiepermann is a case in point, becoming an integral part of the team once he was able show in his preferred position.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Still a chance for him here to impress as I don't go along with this idea that Farke freezes out players. Stiepermann is a case in point, becoming an integral part of the team once he was able show in his preferred position.

If you remember, he didn't pick Tettey at all for the first couple of months last season, and made comments along the lines of "he's a great guy but doesn't really fit with the style of football we want to play". Tettey knuckled down in training and set about proving him wrong - the rest is history.

Trouble is, we don't play play a style that fits his strengths. At Millwall, he played wide and put lots of long balls and crosses into their physical and tall centre forwards.  He would be very good for someone like that - Sheff Utd, Millwall or, dare I say it, Ipswich.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Trouble is, we don't play play a style that fits his strengths. At Millwall, he played wide and put lots of long balls and crosses into their physical and tall centre forwards.  He would be very good for someone like that - Sheff Utd, Millwall or, dare I say it, Ipswich.

Sometimes we might need that though. I personally thought he should have been the third sub against Brentford- would have allowed us to stretch play and have a supply line down both flanks for Rhodes.

I think those saying he shouldn't get game time because he didn't shine at left back in a team with 10 men is laughable though.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Sometimes we might need that though. I personally thought he should have been the third sub against Brentford- would have allowed us to stretch play and have a supply line down both flanks for Rhodes.

I think those saying he shouldn't get game time because he didn't shine at left back in a team with 10 men is laughable though.

It was curious watching that game after the sending off - there was nothing on the left side at all in midfield, although Srbeny covered the left hand side as much as he could - Marshall held back all the second half, even though there were opportunities for him to get forwards at times - and most of the time there was no outlet on the left.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It was curious watching that game after the sending off - there was nothing on the left side at all in midfield, although Srbeny covered the left hand side as much as he could - Marshall held back all the second half, even though there were opportunities for him to get forwards at times - and most of the time there was no outlet on the left.

Well he's always likely to not be bombing on if he has no cover.

I'd imagine he was fulfilling the role Farke asked him to do.

Frozen out might be the wrong words but Farke certainly doesn’t always make the most of the squad. 

Marshall and Rhodes have a proven partnership and as King Canary says sometimes Norwich should try something different if Plan A isn’t working.

As I said, Marshall probably isn’t worth a starting spot but I can believe he couldn’t have made more of an impact from the bench so far this season. 

Has continually been played out of position, so difficult to judge. Feel a bit sorry for him when you compare his performances with this season's Trybull which frankly have been uninspiring. But Farke does seem to have made up his mind about Ben.

To let a homegrown player leave at this stage would be madness unless we have a replacement lined up.

15 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Woodman, I would re-visit your assumption about Sheff Utd if I were you.  Billy Sharp is not particularly tall, and their style of play is very close to our own (carbon copy to be honest).  There's a real chance of both teams cancelling each other out in two weeks time unless one team changes their approach. 

Whatever, if Marshall can suit Sheff Utd's style, then he should be able to suit ours, so recent performance may be why they haven't followed up on early interest.

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Woodman, I would re-visit your assumption about Sheff Utd if I were you.  Billy Sharp is not particularly tall, and their style of play is very close to our own (carbon copy to be honest).  There's a real chance of both teams cancelling each other out in two weeks time unless one team changes their approach. 

Whatever, if Marshall can suit Sheff Utd's style, then he should be able to suit ours, so recent performance may be why they haven't followed up on early interest.

Off the topic of Marshall but Sheff U are the third highest crossers of the ball in the League. They have made only 6 less crosses than Milwall so far this season, their style of play is very different to Norwich’s. 

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree with this. Ben Marshall and Jordan Rhodes used in tandem are a very good Plan B. Often Farke brings Rhodes in, but doesn't make the tactical adjustments to suit his strengths. 

Farke's doing superb this season, no question. But if I was being super critical, I'd say he's quite one dimensional tactically. Thankfully, on the whole, that dimension is paying off so far! 

Shouldnt be helping them in any way shape or form....what if he makes his debut vs rotherham and curls a 90th minute free kick winner into the top corner ...which sparks an upturn in results

.....absolutely no way...if we are looking to ship him out, somebody else please

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Shouldnt be helping them in any way shape or form....what if he makes his debut vs rotherham and curls a 90th minute free kick winner into the top corner ...which sparks an upturn in results

.....absolutely no way...if we are looking to ship him out, somebody else please

Or he plays well for them, Ipswich take some points off out promotion rivals and Norwich go up. 

Webber shouldn’t give two ****s if it is Ipswich or not. If the deal is good for Norwich, he should do it. 

• Like 1

re Sheff U, I was thinking more of crosses to their other forwards - Clarke and now Madine (has he signed for them yet?).

Slightly strange signing if we knew we wouldn't have a playing style to suit his strengths.  I agree, a Plan B alternative isn't always a bad thing - though Pukki's winner came from the pass-pass-pass style (which Farke agreed afterwards, was deliberate as he believed their strengths were in defending long high balls).

Don't get me wrong, if we're chasing an equaliser or winner, I love a winger slinging it in the mixer, but that's very alien to our usual style and we don't have the strikers who suit that approach.

2 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I agree with this. Ben Marshall and Jordan Rhodes used in tandem are a very good Plan B. Often Farke brings Rhodes in, but doesn't make the tactical adjustments to suit his strengths. 

Farke's doing superb this season, no question. But if I was being super critical, I'd say he's quite one dimensional tactically. Thankfully, on the whole, that dimension is paying off so far! 

I think he's actually pretty flexible and willing to make switches.

Where I do think he sometimes falls down is his use of the squad- it seems like he has his core group of favoured players who he uses and others just make up the numbers.

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Or he plays well for them, Ipswich take some points off out promotion rivals and Norwich go up. 

Webber shouldn’t give two ****s if it is Ipswich or not. If the deal is good for Norwich, he should do it. 

Sorry, disagree. This is quite an emotive subject and Webber would be naïve to ignore it. 

Conversely to your narrative,  what if Norwich don't go up and Ipswich stay up thanks to Marshall's contribution? 

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'll take my chances.....with us doing our own job without giving ipswich any help