Sign in to follow this  
Darth Canary1

Time to end the league cup?

People's thoughts? Watched the demolition of Burton and reckon they should bin the checkatrade and just use the league cup. I think the whole competition is pointless now

Why? Because one team is better than the other one (albeit much better)? No way, the competition relies on all participants trying their best, so unless Burton fielded a deliberately weakened team then all is good. 

They lost 9-0

thankfully no PL team has been beaten so badly .... in Manchester 😚

...not good for football though is it. What happened to competition? Disrespectful as well, I remember the All Blacks beating someone 97-0 or something a few years ago.  They stopped scoring before it got to 100. Man C could have played exhibition football after they were 5 up still qualified comfortably and allowed Burton some self respect. 

Maybe they would have if it hadn’t been over two legs. However unlikely it may be, the second leg may see Man City suffering with an illness in the squad etc and if Burton then got two or three goals back they’d be rueing their lack of finishing them off in the first leg.

Yes they could have coasted at 5 or 6 -0 but it probably has more to do with the will to win attitude in that team that they continually pushed forward. Plus they has some second string players on the field, looking to impress.

It would be better off if they, firstly referred to it as the league Cup and not the 'Mc Clutch cup' or what ever it is now. Secondly, like the FA cup should have imposed, place a far greater prize at the end and finally allow the final to be played as a single entity, without all the other games that day. 

......….Wish we were still in it!

7 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Man C could have played exhibition football after they were 5 up still qualified comfortably and allowed Burton some self respect

Man City showed Burton real respect in the right way, with team and bench selection and attitude to the game. They looked at the scalps Burton had taken on the way to the semifinal and made quite sure they didn't underestimate Clough's team. I'd rather be beaten 9:0 by a team that's shown me respect, than to have them do the equivalent of pass me a note saying "We have you well beaten now so we are just going to practice party tricks for the rest of the game".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Each to there own westcoast seems like we don't agree on much... funny old game. 

👍 Funny old world never mind game!  

It's a pity the draw didn't give Burton the home advantage for the first leg. They'd probably still have got tonked but now the away leg is so meaningless I doubt Man City will risk anyone of note and the Burton fans won't get to see any of the stars.

The second leg is now virtually a bye.

I think it definitely needs a few changes -

There's no reason it needs 2-legged semi finals/final; make it 1 leg all the way with the lowest-ranked team on the date of the draw getting home advantage (benefits the smaller clubs);

Does anyone really want to go through extra time on a wet Wednesday evening in November? I'd have ET for the first few rounds but then straight to penalties from the last 32 onwards

I'd also suggest a rule for a minimum of 5 U23 (maybe even U21) players in the starting lineup to encourage it as a competition to develop young players. You could even scale that rule by divisions - PL/CH must have 5, L1&2 must have 3.

Players in the Semi final and Final must have made at least one appearance in the competition (or be U21) - You can't play the whole competition with reserves and then dump them and bring in the superstars for the final only.

Scrap the idea of exempting clubs who qualify for Europe until R3 - let them join in R2 with the rest of the PL/CH sides, since they'll mostly be using a mix of youth and squad players anyhow. Too many games for your big stars to handle? Boo hoo, that's called squad management.  

I'd also suggest playing most of the competition in the first half of the season and putting the final on the first weekend of this new 'winter break' that we're getting next season.  The 2 clubs who make the final can maybe get their next set of fixtures pushed back to a Monday or Tuesday so they only lose a couple of days off the winter break. 

12 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

I think it definitely needs a few changes -

There's no reason it needs 2-legged semi finals/final; make it 1 leg all the way with the lowest-ranked team on the date of the draw getting home advantage (benefits the smaller clubs);

Does anyone really want to go through extra time on a wet Wednesday evening in November? I'd have ET for the first few rounds but then straight to penalties from the last 32 onwards

The final is only one leg already and there is no extra time at any point in the cometiton. 

The semi’s could be one game, but at a natural ground (Villa Park etc). Think home/away advantage is too big to determine it based on ‘ranking’. It won’t often be such an obvious mismatch like Man Cith v Burton - who would get home advantage out of Chelsea v Spurs? 

Forcing clubs to play young players would weight it even more in big clubs advantage and there shouldn’t be squad restrictions. 

I don’t think the League Cup is that awful to be honest. It is the secondary cup competition and thus will never be that high a priority but does provide some entertainment and enjoyment for smaller teams. No one really batted an eyelid when West Ham beat Macclesfield 8-0 earlier in the competition - the fact it was the semi makes Man City’s 9 seem more stark. 

No-one mentioned getting rid of the FA Cup at the weekend when Man CIty put 7 past a team in a higher league than Burton.

I know there is so much speculation about Cups but I believe the FA Cup should be a CL spot. UEFA have mucked up our cup competitions by their desire for income from television and having league systems. The Europa League is a much bigger farce than our League Cup and the break up of European nations into smaller ones has made it ridiculous.

Any team that lost 9-0 in the Premier League would need to feel really embarrassed, humiliated and shamed by it.  You'd think they'd actually want to get relegated and stay in lower divisions permanently, to be honest.  At least Burton are 2 divisions below.

Actually the best thing to do with a team that lost by that margin in the Premier League would be to scrap it, but that's just my opinion.