Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Favorite 'he had a right to go down' moment

We often hear pundits declaring so and so was 'clearly touched so he had a right to go down' to win the penalty etc.

My favorite moment of such was watching our flying winger tearing up Millwall at Carrow Road a few seasons ago. there appeared to be a lot of young Hoolies in from London that day and our very own DH came flying into the 18 yard box in front of the away support when he was clearly touched!  Now, I'm not saying he dived however, he completed a very exquisite flip in the box and was duly awarded a penalty as a result of his efforts. Que the away end to go absolutely bananas with rage. The only person in the stadium to see it was not a pen was obviously the Norfolk born ref.

It was an amusing moment made funnier by the mass of Milwall who I'm sure were on the advance stages of invading the Jarrold had DH not decided to gentlemanly miss the resultant penalty.

Happy days!

When Sonny Liston as pole axed by a punch that wouldn't have put a dent in a plate of cold soup. But I guess the guys betting on Clay saw to his quick recovery.

22 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I vaguely recall Hoolahan going down, I think away to Watford when we won 3-0

Don't think he was touched but God it was beautiful.

I was at that game sitting with the owners and directors of Watford, in fact the owner was sitting directly behind me. I had been warned not to show out which was not easy, but for the Hoolahan penalty incident, I was embarrassed into silence, albeit it with a strangled smile. 

3 hours ago, East Rider said:

We often hear pundits declaring so and so was 'clearly touched so he had a right to go down' to win the penalty etc.

My favorite moment of such was watching our flying winger tearing up Millwall at Carrow Road a few seasons ago. there appeared to be a lot of young Hoolies in from London that day and our very own DH came flying into the 18 yard box in front of the away support when he was clearly touched!  Now, I'm not saying he dived however, he completed a very exquisite flip in the box and was duly awarded a penalty as a result of his efforts. Que the away end to go absolutely bananas with rage. The only person in the stadium to see it was not a pen was obviously the Norfolk born ref.

It was an amusing moment made funnier by the mass of Milwall who I'm sure were on the advance stages of invading the Jarrold had DH not decided to gentlemanly miss the resultant penalty.

Happy days!

Grant Holt was a master at winning pens, I remember him upsetting Colin W. during one game lol

Seriously I hate the expression he had a right to go down. No...being touched isn't a foul, contact isn't a foul.

• Like 1

Conversely, the introduction of VAR in my opinion will assist smaller clubs such as us (if we were to make it to the promised land) with contentious (big club bias) decisions, and in doing so will hopefully/may even reduce the diving.

Klasnic vs Tierney 2011.. although it wasnt a penalty incident.. the way Klasnic slight brush of his head against Tierney caused him a massive head injury (which i am glad to say he recovered from after about 30secs) and led to him being sent off... we went on to win 2-1