Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Congratulations Simon Power

Signed until 2021 with a further year option. Here's hoping he's the next Academy to First Team player.

Under-23s winger Simon Power has signed a new deal at Norwich until June 2021, with the option of a further year, and will join Dutch second-tier side FC Dordrecht on loan for the rest of the season.

The 20-year-old joined City from University College Dublin in January 2018 and has since become a key part of the Club’s Development Squad.

Speaking to canaries.co.uk from Dordrecht’s winter training camp in Spain, Power said: “I’m delighted [to sign a new deal]. I only signed an 18-month contract last year so I was under a bit of pressure to prove myself.

“I suppose I’m a bit relieved to have signed the new deal and I’m really looking forward to the future now.

“Playing at Norwich has been really different from playing university football. But it didn’t take me long to settle in. Regular football has helped me improve.

“I’ve really enjoyed living in Norwich. It has been something new for me, with it being the first time I’ve had away from my family. But I’ve made some good mates.

“I’m very thankful to everyone at the Club. I was told my physique needed to get better when I first started as I was quite skinny. But the Academy have helped me a lot and I’ve become more of an athlete now."

power-wolves.jpg

Power is the third City player in the space of a year to join a Dutch side on loan after Todd Cantwell’s stint at Fortuna Sittard last season and Savvas Mourgos' spell with Dordrecht, who Power is now joining.

The Irishman is excited by the prospect of playing in another country and hopes to follow in the footsteps of his City colleagues.

“Todd had a great season last year and he’s doing so well back at Norwich this year," said Power. "Savvas was doing well also, but was unfortunate to pick up that injury.

“I’m excited to learn about the Dutch way of playing. I think it can only benefit my game. The next few months should be very exciting.

“Dordrecht normally have around 4,000 fans for each home game so it will be a different but good experience to play in front of so many people.”

Good news. Putting our younger players out on loan to Dutch clubs is a great way to develop their ability to solve. Problems on the pitch for themselves. The board's policy of developing our own players as part of being a sustainable club is working well so far.

Seems to have gone quiet with Adam Phillips, who is out of contract at the end of the season, and was supposed to join Simon Power at Dordrecht.

Whatever Cantwell learned in the Dutch league last year certainly benefited him hugely. I like this route; an increasing number of British youngsters are reaping the benefits of playing abroad, and good to see us being proactive in giving our young players the kind of experience that the club deems will best benefit them. Does Neil Adams still manage the loans, or did that arrangement disappear with Farke/Webber? Haven't heard his name mentioned for a while, but similarly I don't remember him leaving...

Good to hear, Ray. As I said in my previous post, it's really impressive the way we're tailoring loans to suit players rather than just going down the English loan route all the time. Really chuffed that Neil is still with the club and making a significant impact by the sounds of it!

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to revising an adapted version of the old "Lee, Lee, Lee Power" chant when he breaks into the first team!

Can a player who was signed at the age of 19 be described as an ‘academy product’ when football academies are for players up to the age of 18? 

I also have a bit of an issue when Godfrey is described as an academy product despite never actually being in Norwich’s academy. 

They've improved while under our club's care. They see themselves in the same light as Lewis, Cantwell and Aarons. I see them as our own. 

Like you say Beth, you have issues 😀

Edited by nutty nigel