Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Ruddy on tv

Bennett looks comfortable.  Makes you wonder whether he could have fitted into Farke's squad.  Can't be much different from playing under Neves.

Nuno Espirito Santo                                                                 Nuno Espirito Santo

redmond.jpg.7807d601f074b8c58174c6daf56c0931.jpg

Nathan redmond

espirito.jpg.5e27d83aed209083d1ab3402e7a50cf5.jpg

Edited by keelansgrandad

Bennett with a careless chip to his RB losing possession, Liverpool attack the box and Origi fires past a leaden-footed JR from distance. 

Although Ruddy also got a vital fingertip to push a shot onto the post, good save. 

Edited by Rivvo
Clarification

Bennett is a good defender as long as you don't ask him to think too much.  He has a good physique for a defender and as long as he knows what his job is, he is ok. Imo he needs a strong manager who will direct him firmly in what to do, which is maybe what he has had at Wolves.  He didn't do well under Hughton, who although had a sound strategy, relied on players to be able to be intelligent enough to be able to adapt to what he wanted them to do. Several of them weren't, including Bennett. 

As for Ruddy, he has had a good career as a goalkeeper, suffered a bit as a result of injury, but still a good stand by keeper for the top league and probably good enough as a first choice at championship level. Good to see him getting some success at Wolves.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Bennett with a careless chip to his RB losing possession, Liverpool attack the box and Origi fires past a leaden-footed JR from distance. 

Lolz. Can't let that one slide considering your defence of Krul on the Swansea goal.

Can't argue with that ldc, I think he was immense for us in our promotion season under Lambert, the first season in the Premiership exposed him to more work against better strikers and he clearly struggled. Not a criticism, just an observation. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Lolz. Can't let that one slide considering your defence of Krul on the Swansea goal.

:classic_biggrin: Different. We are seeing a better Krul match by match. Yesterday we saw the same JR we've seen for years. And Krul would have saved that Origi shot; no comparison when it comes to agility. LDC has it right. 

It came through the defenders legs, he had very little chance of getting to it. Why don't we talk about the frankly remarkable save he made from Shaqiri's free kick westcoast?

Ruddy was always good at those spectacular saves like he pulled off last night. What he started to struggle with is the low down, close to the body stuff - which teams knew and targeted. 

Krul has the same issues, which is hardly a surprise as they are the results of lower body injuries reducing agility. I’d personally say that Ruddy and Krul are probably about as good as each other, but Krul is cheaper and his distribution is a bit better. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ian said:

It came through the defenders legs, he had very little chance of getting to it. Why don't we talk about the frankly remarkable save he made from Shaqiri's free kick westcoast?

Quite simply because I had to stop watching soon after that Liverpool goal. The point I wanted to make -- "same old RB, same old JR" -- was neatly encapsulated by the Liverpool goal. The fact that keeper was the first position Wolves strengthened once promoted says it all as far as JR is concerned.. 

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ruddy was always good at those spectacular saves like he pulled off last night. What he started to struggle with is the low down, close to the body stuff - which teams knew and targeted. 

Krul has the same issues, which is hardly a surprise as they are the results of lower body injuries reducing agility. I’d personally say that Ruddy and Krul are probably about as good as each other, but Krul is cheaper and his distribution is a bit better. 

I think also with Ruddy, certainly towards the end, I started to wonder about his positioning -he seemed to get beaten by too many long range efforts; one or two fair enough and some go through defenders etc., but it seemed to happen a bit too much and I did start to wonder if he ought to have been better positioned in the first place. I actually thought Gunn’s positioning last season was sometimes not the best either actually, seem to remember him being beaten at the front post once or twice.

For me, Krul’s main/only real weakness is his handling when dealing with those low or diving efforts - he pushes far too much back in at the goal instead of out to the wings or for a corner. Possibly could be to do with old injuries making him that fraction of a second slower so he can’t get exactly what he wants behind the ball.

6 hours ago, Aggy said:

For me, Krul’s main/only real weakness is his handling when dealing with those low or diving efforts - he pushes far too much back in at the goal instead of out to the wings or for a corner. Possibly could be to do with old injuries making him that fraction of a second slower so he can’t get exactly what he wants behind the ball.

Pushing the ball straight out rather than to the side would seem to indicate getting too much behind the ball rather than too little? Maybe rather than a fraction of a second slow, he's a fraction of a second too quick?

JR's biggest flaw IMO was his persistent failure to leave his line; he seldom if ever could be said to have dominated his box. And despite his size and bulk, much smaller players could make him appear powder puff (one instance was that late Notts Forest (?) goal at Carrow Road when one of the Forest forwards completely neutralised him simply by linking arms with him).   

14 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Quite simply because I had to stop watching soon after that Liverpool goal. The point I wanted to make -- "same old RB, same old JR" -- was neatly encapsulated by the Liverpool goal. The fact that keeper was the first position Wolves strengthened once promoted says it all as far as JR is concerned.. 

'Same old' RB is playing regularly in a side sitting 9th in the Premier League that is regularly lauded for the style of football they play...

19 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Sounds a bit like you watched, picked out the bit that backed up your preheld opinion and moved on.

Surely not? 😉

8 hours ago, king canary said:

'Same old' RB is playing regularly in a side sitting 9th in the Premier League that is regularly lauded for the style of football they play...

He is, despite, rather than because of, being the same old RB. But yes, well done him. I suggest we file this exchange to refer to again this time next season. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Sounds a bit like you watched, picked out the bit that backed up your preheld opinion and moved on.

Surely not? 😉

Actually no, but with a couple of minor alterations such as "read" instead of "watched", that seems a pretty fair description of your post! :classic_tongue: