Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

Naming The Stands - Who Would You Choose?

Keelan is the obvious top choice.

But surprised no-one has mentioned Stringer. Mr Norwich through and through and superb as player and very decent manager to boot. His win stats are very good. Cannot think of many folk who have done that.

I think to narrow it down, they need to be a one Club player or something similar.  None of this Sutton, Huckerby or  Holt nonsense.  Real legends, Can't really see past Keelan myself although I believe we signed him from Kidderminster. There are others before my time but I won't comment on those. 

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Keelan played 673 games for us and nobody will ever come close to that so how that achievement has never been recognised in any way shape or form is a mystery to me.

Agree completely. Something really should be  done  before  it's too late.

At SOTB Keelan never makes the "best ever" team. They always choose Ken Nerthercott.

Correction. They usually choose Ken Nethercott who was also chosen as the greatest.

Edited by nutty nigel
To make it factual..

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree completely. Something really should be  done  before  it's too late.

How do we go about something like this?

Approach the club or get someone like Archant on board?

Anybody out there got contacts?

Pete - are you there..? 

Terry Allcock thought so too...

416 appearances/0 goals

In an age when the word legend is too freely applied to former players, no one would dispute Ken Nethercott’s right to legendary status - except the man himself, forever modest about his achievements in well over a decade at Carrow Road and always keen to stay out of the spotlight.

The Bristol-born keeper did Army service in Italy before he was signed by City manager Cyril Spiers, and made his first team debut at Northampton in a Division Three South game in September 1947, just a week after being demobbed.

In all, he played 416 times for City between 1947 and 1959, putting him eighth in the club’s all-time appearance list, and is best remembered for his heroism in the game that proved to be his last.

Ken Nethercott in action at Carrow Road.  The player in the centre is Maurice Tobin. Picture: ArchantKen Nethercott in action at Carrow Road. The player in the centre is Maurice Tobin. Picture: Archant

It was in the FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United on February 28, 1959, that Nethercott dislocated his shoulder with half an hour remaining and City trailing 1-0.

However, in the days before substitutes, he insisted on carrying on as they fought back to draw 1-1 and earn a replay.

Nethercott had helped Archie Macaulay’s third division side knock out Manchester United and Tottenham in previous rounds, but alas, the injury at Bramall Lane ended his career.

Years later, he recalled: “Lots of players with bad injuries carried on playing in those days. That’s what you did because teams didn’t have substitutes. If you went off the field, you were letting the side down, so if at all possible you ignored the pain and got on with it. It was only for half an hour and I had nothing to do, so it didn’t matter.”

Ken Nethercott, with his right shoulder discolated, leaves the pitch at Bramall Lane after an heroic FA Cup display. Picture: ArchantKen Nethercott, with his right shoulder discolated, leaves the pitch at Bramall Lane after an heroic FA Cup display. Picture: Archant

Former team-mate Terry Allcock has no doubts about Nethercott’s rightful place in City history.

He said: “That game was a reflection of the type of man Ken was. I broke my collarbone once and the pain was excruciating, so I know what it was like, but he played on with one hand. Sadly that proved to be his last game.

“I played at Norwich with Kevin Keelan, Sandy and other goalkeepers in between but Ken was the best of the lot, in my opinion.

“He was brave, his use of the ball was second to none and as a person he was so unassuming. Ken was a very quiet, modest, likeable guy.

“He was the perfect gentleman on and off the field. I recall games when he played the opposition almost on his own and then he’d come in afterwards and shake hands with the rest of us in the dressing room and say ‘Well done’.”

The FA Cup provided another of the highlights of Nethercott’s career when City beat Liverpool 3-1 in 1951. His one international outing came for England B in a 2-2 draw against Scotland in Edinburgh in 1953.

Oddly, and to City’s eternal shame, Nethercott was never granted a testimonial.

He played briefly for Norwich City B team - “but I felt like a grandfather with all those young boys” - then for Wisbech, then spent 25 years working for Rowntree Mackintosh. He lived at Drayton Road, Norwich.

Roy Blower, Lord Mayor of Norwich and a lifelong City fan, described it as “a very sad day”.

He said: “I find it very difficult to put into words. Ken was a great man - one of life’s true gentlemen. People like that come along once in a blue moon.

“I remember standing behind the goal at Bramall Lane on the day he was injured and he was Mr Courageous to play on like he did and, of course, it ended his career.

“I sponsored the banners with pictures of Ken and Johnny Gavin at Carrow Road because they were two of my heroes and now they have gone within a few months of each other.”

Next time we go through a questionable patch, perhaps we could name the top tier of the Barclay the “Stringer Upper” and all the Delia haters that crawl out of the woodwork could have a little hub where they boo and harrumph together. 

• Like 2

If we ever build another tier on top of the City Stand it could be the Crouch (or maybe the Rosario) Extension. Any bits built onto the back of a stand could be called the Coney Rear Add-on, in honour of his single goal for the club.

As thhree of the stands are already named after folk ... and known as

Cpt Barclay Stand

Arthur South Stand (I know)

Geoffrey Watling Stand

Surely it should be the Mark Rivers End

ps perhaps we could name part of the Barclay after dear old PC Kidgell

the Handle Bar ?

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

As thhree of the stands are already named after folk ... and known as

Cpt Barclay Stand

Arthur South Stand (I know)

Geoffrey Watling Stand

Surely it should be the Mark Rivers End

ps perhaps we could name part of the Barclay after dear old PC Kidgell

the Handle Bar ?

Perhaps they could stash the cash in the 1010 Till ?

Or a 'cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeseboard'? 🙂

Seriously though, from everything I've heard and read about him, Keelan would be a great choice.

What about the David Bell End?

• Haha 1