Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

Naming The Stands - Who Would You Choose?

Just browsing through the forum and re-reading the Kevin Keelan birthday thread and this comment from keelansgrandad stood out.

image.png.3be8b77e7edf6d3c003a611652cfdb72.png

I was thinking something similar recently. If we were to name the stands - who would they be in honour of?

How on Earth do you narrow down a list that could have at least half a dozen 'givens' on it?

I've tried to pick icons who, when you look at their whole career, are true club legends.  My list can only go back to the mid-70s when I began watching the team, so I can't comment on players like Ron Davies etc.

My shortlist would be: Keelan, Forbes, Huckerby, Gunn (he already has his 'Club' though).

Secondary - Holt, Wes, Peters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I've tried to pick icons who, when you look at their whole career, are true club legends.  My list can only go back to the mid-70s when I began watching the team, so I can't comment on players like Ron Davies etc.

My shortlist would be: Keelan, Forbes, Huckerby, Gunn (he already has his 'Club' though).

Secondary - Holt, Wes, Peters.

I agree and stalwarts would be my choice - Keelan, Ashman, Forbes for sure.

• Like 1

For me Barry already has annual piece of public recognition with the PoTS award - so a new name would be appropriate.

Keelan would be the stand out candidate  along with big Dunc.       Sutton would be my most recent  player to add.

2 minutes ago, staffordshire canary said:

Sadly these things don’t normally happen until people pass away !!!

There are enough living examples out there - Bobby Charlton, Trevor Brooking, Steve Bull just off the top of my head!

I'd go for our all-time greatest players in each position - GK,DEF,MID,FWD

I'd say Kevin Keelan, Ron Ashman, Jonny Gavin, Terry Allcock

Holt, Wes, Hucks were all massive players and club legends for sure but I wouldnt put any of them on quite the same level of all-time greats. 

• Like 1

Otherwise maybe go for legendary managers... Bowman first ever manager, Reid first to win a trophy, Walker most successful ever/first to lead us into Europe, and maybe leave a stand empty for Farke's name when he leads us to glory? 😛 

Edited by andyc24_uk
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Just browsing through the forum and re-reading the Kevin Keelan birthday thread and this comment from keelansgrandad stood out.

image.png.3be8b77e7edf6d3c003a611652cfdb72.png

I was thinking something similar recently. If we were to name the stands - who would they be in honour of?

How on Earth do you narrow down a list that could have at least half a dozen 'givens' on it?

I don't think there are more than one Shay Given and no idea why we'd name a stand after him anyway... Perhaps in honour of Safri's goal? 🤪

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The Matt Jarvis Treatment Room may be popular ..

Although Gerry Howshall and MLJ would get votes....

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Jens Berthel-Askou Bar

Love these suggestions. Somebody (can't remember who - maybe Mr Chops) wrote on this forum a few years ago that the Ginger Pele should have a statue in his honour. It would be in two parts - him in the South Stand swinging his leg, with the ball in Morrisons car park!

We could name them after the players we sold to fund them?....the kevin reeves river end....the robert fleck barclay....the david phillips undersoil heating.....the arsonist attackers city stand (allegedly)

Keelan played 673 games for us and nobody will ever come close to that so how that achievement has never been recognised in any way shape or form is a mystery to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

I agree and stalwarts would be my choice - Keelan, Ashman, Forbes for sure.

I didn't mind Adrian Forbes, but I'm not sure he warranted enough to get a stand named in his honour! 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grando said:

I didn't mind Adrian Forbes, but I'm not sure he warranted enough to get a stand named in his honour! 😉

Tampa Time wouldn't be the same without him!

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The Ivan Kidgel Police Room...

Nigel

That quote is above the head of  99% of the readers on this site

The Main Stand should be named after Ed Balls because the facilities under the stand are acomplete BALLSUP