Sign in to follow this  
glory.win or die.

William Remy

Just a bit if transfer news/rumour.

Read we are on verge of signing William Remy, a French Cb I believe, from Legia Warsaw on a 3 and a half year contract.. 

Maybe a replacement for Klose,whether for now or next season..

Will see if I can find link again

Edited by glory.win or die.

Just found the link myself but cheers for beating me to it.

His age suggests he would be one for now, not one for future, but I have faith if he comes our recruitment will know what they r doing. Be useful to have a bit more pace and athleticism in that area.

If we're giving him a three and a half year deal you'd expect they must think he's got potential at the next level too.

Making signings in our current position is difficult- Premier League level players won't be likely to join but you don't want to spend money on players who might not be good enough for the level we could be playing at in 6 months.

Sounds a bit unlikely. Hanley signed a new long term deal, and there's Zimmerman and Godfrey as well. When asked about Klose on Friday, Farke seemed to be saying he expecting him here for the longterm.

Just to throw fuel on the fire, I'm wondering if Hanley might be shown the door first. His injury after the 1p5wich game was seen as being a disaster for us,truth is we've improved without him and he's now down the pecking order. 

14 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Just to throw fuel on the fire, I'm wondering if Hanley might be shown the door first. His injury after the 1p5wich game was seen as being a disaster for us,truth is we've improved without him and he's now down the pecking order. 

I wonder too. I'm unsure about Grant; he looked good when he came on a week or two ago but that was a terribly agricultural tackle on Saturday. The Zimbo/Klose combo definitely seems our best when both are fully fit, their ability to cover each other making up for lack of pace. Ben looks full of potential too & provides good cover all over the defensive positions, so perhaps this chap's looking a better bet - thinking towards the PL maybe?

26 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I wonder too. I'm unsure about Grant; he looked good when he came on a week or two ago but that was a terribly agricultural tackle on Saturday. The Zimbo/Klose combo definitely seems our best when both are fully fit, their ability to cover each other making up for lack of pace. Ben looks full of potential too & provides good cover all over the defensive positions, so perhaps this chap's looking a better bet - thinking towards the PL maybe?

I'd quite like to see Godfrey and Klose as a pair. 

Re Raggett- I think he, like Remi Matthews, blew his chance in pre-season. Just doesn't look comfortable enough on the ball to play in a Farke system.

50 minutes ago, king canary said:

If we're giving him a three and a half year deal you'd expect they must think he's got potential at the next level too.

Making signings in our current position is difficult- Premier League level players won't be likely to join but you don't want to spend money on players who might not be good enough for the level we could be playing at in 6 months.

Well, that is a question.My working assumption is that IF we get promoted (I think we will end up in the top six) we will not try to stay in the Premier League. We will aim to build by degrees, as Burnley, Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City are doing. If as it happens we stay up, fine. If not, fine.

The point then is that signing NOW someone who might not be PL standard is not a drawback. If we get promoted and they make the grade, fine. If we get promoted and - as expected - we get relegated (perhaps in part because that is a level too far for them) we still have a Championship-level player for the Championship.

I do not believe that if we end up next season in the PL we will throw overboard our slimmed-down wage structure and start recruiting  expensive players.

I know nothing of Remy, but (not least because he can apparently also play in midfield and I suspected we might be after just that kind of utility player) he sounds like a distinct possibility.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, that is a question.My working assumption is that IF we get promoted (I think we will end up in the top six) we will not try to stay in the Premier League. We will aim to build by degrees, as Burnley, Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City are doing. If as it happens we stay up, fine. If not, fine.

The point then is that signing NOW someone who might not be PL standard is not a drawback. If we get promoted and they make the grade, fine. If we get promoted and - as expected - we get relegated (perhaps in part because that is a level too far for them) we still have a Championship-level player for the Championship.

I do not believe that if we end up next season in the PL we will throw overboard our slimmed-down wage structure and start recruiting  expensive players.

I know nothing of Remy, but (not least because he can apparently also play in midfield and I suspected we might be after just that kind of utility player) he sounds like a distinct possibility.

I agree to an extent- but even then you will generally see teams targetting that Championship/Premier League borderline type (Huddersfield signing Pritchard and Ince for instance or Burnley with Brady) that just won't be available to us now.

Perhaps this move could see Passlack returning home early, or Ivo leaving, to keep the homegrown:foreigner ratio ‘workable’?  We’ve had a couple of games where it’s been a bit tight, but have managed pretty well so far.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perhaps this move could see Passlack returning home early, or Ivo leaving, to keep the homegrown:foreigner ratio ‘workable’?  We’ve had a couple of games where it’s been a bit tight, but have managed pretty well so far.

Can’t speak for Ivo, a wonderful City servant till the end, but Passlack will see out the season - this has already been confirmed.

Apparently Legia want €4m for him, so can’t see this one going anywhere to be honest. Norwich are well stocked at centre back and another non-homegrown player doesn’t really seem to be what Norwich need right now. Especially as the player has only recently returned from 4 months out injured with knee ligament damage. 

Suspect it is more something Norwich are/were considering to do in the summer if Klose doesn’t sign a contract - or maybe a player they see being a target should Norwich get promoted. Remy certainly has the credentials to play in the Premier League. 

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Have we really improved without him,  yes we went on a long unbeaten run, but we are shipping a lot of goals

if he joins now I wonder if it will be a little like leitner last season,  brought in as a future replacement with 6 months to acclimatise.

Unless we get promoted I am not sure Klose will be here next season and his experience is key so I can see us wanting to buy that in;  and the only question about godfrey is whether he and the club see him as a CB or just a very good stop gap.

As for Franke & Raggett - they simply have no future here;  so it is not a surprise to see us linked to a CB.   whether it is Remy at this cost is another thing.  

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently Legia want €4m for him, so can’t see this one going anywhere to be honest. Norwich are well stocked at centre back and another non-homegrown player doesn’t really seem to be what Norwich need right now. Especially as the player has only recently returned from 4 months out injured with knee ligament damage. 

Suspect it is more something Norwich are/were considering to do in the summer if Klose doesn’t sign a contract - or maybe a player they see being a target should Norwich get promoted. Remy certainly has the credentials to play in the Premier League. 

It would only really work if we got the Norfolk Cafu back from Walsall so we had a Rémy-Martin pair in central defence...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well that didn't last long- odd as the article wasn't just 'Norwich are looking at him' and more 'this deal is done.'

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Well that didn't last long- odd as the article wasn't just 'Norwich are looking at him' and more 'this deal is done.'

Yeah, it looks a funny one.

Some pretty reputable sources in France but particularly Poland suggesting this was a goer. 

Wonder if it was something Norwich had in reserve with uncertainty over Klose but recent news of contract talks may have meant it is less of a priority. 

I saw he was also linked to Leeds so wonder if there is a bit of underhand tactics from Legia to push his price up a bit. 

If we signed a striker I wouldn't be surprised, but another central defender? Don't we have enough cover there? 

49 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

If we signed a striker I wouldn't be surprised, but another central defender? Don't we have enough cover there? 

Not sure we'll sign anyone to be honest as Stuart has already said quite clearly that there is unlikely to be any incomings but guess that could change if Pinto & Oliviera leave which will save us some wages

If true Farke has given up re promotion.  If we get promoted Klose will resign and his experience will be required.  If promotion and start giving out long term expensive contracts, if relegation follows which is likely we are as deep in the brown stuff as 2 years ago.  If promoted would advise contract extensions to those only in last year i.e. Klose leave others alone with bonuses for staying up and if successful big contracts would follow when affordable after 2 PL seasons.

6 minutes ago, pete said:

If true Farke has given up re promotion.  If we get promoted Klose will resign and his experience will be required.  If promotion and start giving out long term expensive contracts, if relegation follows which is likely we are as deep in the brown stuff as 2 years ago.  If promoted would advise contract extensions to those only in last year i.e. Klose leave others alone with bonuses for staying up and if successful big contracts would follow when affordable after 2 PL seasons.

If we get promoted Klose will resign? I don't follow your logic as he's someone who badly needs to be playing at a higher level IMO. I would have thought the only reason he would still be open to staying would be if we got promoted. 

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If we get promoted Klose will resign? I don't follow your logic as he's someone who badly needs to be playing at a higher level IMO. I would have thought the only reason he would still be open to staying would be if we got promoted. 

Ha ha - the good old English language. 🙂

resign - give up an office, one's employment etc..

re-sign - sign again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Ha ha - the good old English language. 🙂

resign - give up an office, one's employment etc..

re-sign - sign again. 

Good to see that chivalry is not dead; well done Thirsty! :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Living here I get reminded every single day of Churchill's description of the US and UK: "Two nations divided by a common language"! Pete, with his disregard of grammar, spelling and punctuation, would get on perfectly well here :classic_biggrin: