Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Don't get this not bothered about FA cup

Many of us remember the days when football wasn't on the TV and Cup Final day started early on Grandstand and evn my Mum used to sit and watch it all.

Chap in the white suit walking up the steps for community singing, and the hush when Abide With Me was sung by a 100K at the ground and millions in their living rooms (lounges hadn't been invented).

And I agree with Daly that it is a disappointment that we still can't engender that day and the rounds before when us as a club got so excited about a cup run which we sometimes managed successfully. 59 gripped the whole county and later on the country who, apart from the people of Bedfordshire. wanted to see little Norwich with their unusual strip get to Wembley. And I think people saw winning the FA Cup was more important than the League title, certainly pre European competition.

But since our achievement in getting to the top echelon, we have many times been seen as a giant to knock out. And I didn't see many headlines really astonished that Portsmouth beat us.

So I think anyone pre 1972 might still yearn for a Wembley visit. But it isn't the old Wembley anymore and I think we will have to do with the League Cup visits.

T

14 hours ago, daly said:

If Man City who have played 11 games since Dec 1st can put out a team who want to  in the FA Cup then surely we should have at least brought on the subs much earlier.

And this weeks award for the most ludicrous comparison goes to..................................

Well I was quite disappointed we lost in the dying seconds......especially after playing resiliently for 75 plus minutes with 10 men.......

I also wish we were in the draw tonight for the next round, before we had to play the replay at Fratton Park......

If we got a home draw against Man Utd, Spurs or one of the other hip Prem sides.....I'm sure that the 'FA Cup not bothered brigade' would be frantically purchasing tickets for that home game......Yes Soiree!..... 

The amount of money awash in the Premiership has undoubtedly diluted the competition.  Championship clubs are quite rightly prioritising promotion over a chance to progress to play a 'big club at home'.  As has been said, no one outside the top 6 in the Prem has any real chance to win it - and their second squads are often far superior to a decent Championship side.

Whoever said that they enjoyed the Chelsea games (Nutty?) - we weren't in the position we are in this season, so our priorities were different and we chose to play our full strength teams in those games.  It's a very different situation this year.

Getting to Wembley isn't the fantasy it used to be: semi-finals are played there, league games are played there, American football is played there (and made a recent England game an absolute farce).  The pitch is terrible now, when it used to be the hallowed turf.

I hope, and in fact feel pretty sure, that DF and his players were thoroughly cheesed off with losing on Saturday. I can't imagine any of our foreign players for example, to every single one of whom the FA Cup will always have been "the greatest Cup competition in the world", not wanting to progress and experience the excitement of it. 

Agreed westcoast, that any professional player hates losing any game but I would suggest our foreign players were not even born, when the 'greatest Cup competition in the World' started losing its sparkle, so that would be a mute point in my eyes. 

Crabby, I simply don't believe that players happily surrender the opportunity to experience what a good run in the FA Cup involves. 

I agree with that sentiment westcoast. I would suggest that our players certainly did not surrender on Saturday. The fact we were chasing the game in the 94th minute, having been down to 10 men for the best part of over 80 playing minutes will bear testament to that also.

I just do not believe that our current foreign players have that romantic notion of the FA Cup, that some of us oldies have

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And this weeks award for the most ludicrous comparison goes to..................................

And why is that, 25 squad players in both Premiership and Championship

7 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Q.P.R. at home, still not bothered ?

Dont need to get embroiled in it....we've got 5 huge league fixtures coming up in a row.....lets get on with it.

.....as for portsmouth...thats exactly the kind of tie that will have them take their eye off the ball whilst their promition rivals catch and overtake them

23 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I think Man City's 25 are a League apart from ours. 

I think that was probably Thirsty's point.

4 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I agree with that sentiment westcoast. I would suggest that our players certainly did not surrender on Saturday. The fact we were chasing the game in the 94th minute, having been down to 10 men for the best part of over 80 playing minutes will bear testament to that also.

I just do not believe that our current foreign players have that romantic notion of the FA Cup, that some of us oldies have

Crabby, I agree the players didn't surrender on Saturday. What I was referring to was a club choosing not to take the competition seriously.

Overseas players may not have a romantic notion of the FA Cup, but whenever any of them talk about it, in my experience they always refer to it as the greatest Cup competition of all.

Yeah that would have been a good draw for us. A lot more smaller clubs got through than I though and a number of big teams paired against each other. Well there is always next year.