Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Don't get this not bothered about FA cup

Sorry but I don't agree that its a good thing we are out.I am sure the 20,000 or more people who went to the match can't  be happy with the result. Most of the players in the match will not play in our next match or any of the matches coming up unless there is a injury crisis or we sell players. so if we had a replay it would not affect the first team greatly .I am from the time when we had 11 first team players and around 5 who would be up to playing in the first team if required,when we had the league cup run years ago when we won at Arsenal and beat Chelsea it was a full first team and the opposition was star studded .those players would then play on the Saturday without being affected .I know people will say but it's different now,I agree the ball is lighter and the pitches are better but the games the same. Also a good cup run can bring in income.

• Like 1

I can empathise with the op, but players are trained like racehorses these days, they are finely tuned and can easily be overworked.  There will still be some players who can take almost anything, but some will struggle with too many matches too close together, which is what happens in cup runs and replays.

There is an underlying focus to this season - promotion - and keeping players fit mentally and physically is key to that. This season, given that we are up at the top, has to mean everything is geared to the aim of achieving top two if at all possble.  While I agree that cup wins are good for the fans, the club financially and for the fringe players, there is a bigger game at stake here and we can now move on without distraction, get all our players fit and fired up for the main challenge of the season.

• Like 1

Never heard one bad word about losing last night as i left the ground and walked through Riverside even though we had lost to a team a Division below us. The acceptance of defeat is something that comes with the territory in recent years as the FA Cup has sadly lost the magic.

The income gained from getting to the Premier League is exponentially greater than any cup run. With the majority of our squad having suffered injury at some point this season, any extra fixtures are likely to lose us more in player fitness than we gain in money or prestige. If we'd have won yesterday that would have been great, but I'd rather have lost the match than won it in a replay. Farke was clearly going for it at the end, he wanted a result one way or another and it could have gone either way.

• Like 2

I never want to lose and am not ‘happy’ that we did, but nor am I particularly bothered.  Our focus has to be the league, a cup run might have been good but IMO it is far better to avoid the potential fixture congestion with almost inevitable injuries/suspensions.  Even if sides we’re due to play are still involved, the break will help keep/get players fit.

• Like 1

The FA cup died when the big teams started treating it as a second rate competition. It will never come back to what it was. Time was when FA cup matches were bumper gates.

R.I.P. FA cup.đŸ˜©

We got ourselves caught up in wanting to avoid a replay yesterday so as to force a result either way.

The competition is a mess now in so far as there are replays up to round 4....but settled on the day with extra time and penalties from round 5 onwards.

It surely needs to decide whether its one or the other, if it was all on.the day, we would have just allowed it to have gone to extra time yesterday

Easy solution to it, FA cup needs more money invested. Imagine winning yesterday was worth £10m to us, we deffo would be upset with losing.

• Like 1

It’s a fashionable thing to say when you get knocked out. It’s complete nonsense though. Everyone loves a cup run and had we progressed through the competition those saying they are not bothered would have been waxing lyrical about it. 

Everybody does love a cup run JF, however, I literally couldn't give a toss about not having one. Guess it's a generational thing but I've never been especially bothered about the cups. I would much rather not have the hassle of a replay and be out of it than still be in, dragging some of the first teamers 200 odd miles to sit on the bench for a cup we'll only get knocked out of in the next round anyway to Bournemouth reserves.

Who is even going to be bothered to watch the next round draw whenever it might be and whatever channel it is on just to see who we would have got ?

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

The FA cup died when the big teams started treating it as a second rate competition. It will never come back to what it was. Time was when FA cup matches were bumper gates.

R.I.P. FA cup.đŸ˜©

Do they treat it as a 2nd rate competition though? In the last 10 years the FA Cup has only been won by a ‘non-big club’ once. I’d say the ‘top 6’ take it very seriously, but it is the mid-table clubs and lower that actually don’t take it that seriously as they feel their chances of winning are diminished as the bigger clubs dominate it so much. 

if Sheffield United don’t turn this around then going out of the cup looks like hurting our league chances more than staying in it

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Easy solution to it, FA cup needs more money invested. Imagine winning yesterday was worth £10m to us, we deffo would be upset with losing.

So who's going to come up with this investment at £10m for a 3rd round tie? Unfortunately it's all about money for the clubs, either avoiding relegation, or being promoted. And for many clubs, including our own, it's about giving a game to some 2nd rate players.

3 minutes ago, JF said:

if Sheffield United don’t turn this around then going out of the cup looks like hurting our league chances more than staying in it

So you've made up your mind we are going to lose then?

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So you've made up your mind we are going to lose then?

No. But id say our chances would be far greater with a full squad to choose from, wouldn’t you?

This is the prize fund this year for the FA Cup.

The Emirates FA Cup
Season 2018-19
Payments made from The FA's prize fund

Extra preliminary round winners (184) £2,250 Losers receive £750
Preliminary round winners (160) £2,890 Losers receive £960
First round qualifying winners (116) £6,000
Second Round Qualifying winners (80) £9,000
Third Round Qualifying winners (40) £15,000
Fourth Round Qualifying winners (32) £25,000
First Round Proper winners (40) £36,000
Second Round Proper winners (20) £54,000
Third Round Proper winners (32) £135,000
Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £180,000
Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £360,000
Quarter-Final winners (4) £720,000
Semi-Final winners (2) £1,800,000
Semi-Final losers (2) £900,000
Final runners-up (1) £1,800,000
Final winners (1) £3,600,000

Premier League prize fund? It's a No Brainer (unfortunately) .

The FA Cup has become a joke competition - summed up by the ridiculous kick-off times across the weekend.

The only reason the ‘big six’ take it more seriously is because their squads can handle it more easily and, as only one of them can win the league title, a trophy will help to appease the fans. ( A trophy more easily winnable for them because the other fourteen PL teams and seemingly, the entire Championship teams, field heavily weakened teams.)

This weekend is very much like the international breaks - an opportunity to take a break from football and do other things.....

• Like 2

Looking at todays results confirms teams in contention are very much prioritising the league over the cup.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So who's going to come up with this investment at £10m for a 3rd round tie? Unfortunately it's all about money for the clubs, either avoiding relegation, or being promoted. And for many clubs, including our own, it's about giving a game to some 2nd rate players.

Was obviously exaggerating with £10m but you get my point. And like you say, who is going to come up with the money to make the competition financially relevant again? Has to purely rely on sentiment really.

4 minutes ago, staffordshire canary said:

Sadly money runs football but has a older fan getting to a FA Cup final is possibly the last realistic achievement I’ve not seen Norwich achieve.I’d happily take a Cup final over promotion.

Yes, a few think like that but most know that a moments glory wont pay the bills. Promotion to the Prem will always be the main quest. The romance of the cup is a thing of the past.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Was obviously exaggerating with £10m but you get my point. And like you say, who is going to come up with the money to make the competition financially relevant again? Has to purely rely on sentiment really.

.....fact still remains that we certainly didnt need a replay a couple of days before a game with birmingham on a friday night.....but as it turned out a win vs portsmouth would prossibly now have been better than a loss from a league point of view.

.....it really depends on how many injuries have cleared up by then or whether a week off to rest first team players would have been beneficial?

With Leeds and Sheffield United now both out of the cup Norwich not having extra games becomes even more beneficial. I don’t think facing United in the 26th is a huge issue, it seems most of Norwich’s injuries will have cleared up by then, but not having a replay and then extra rounds while Sheff U and Leeds have their fit up is big. 

It isn’t just about fitness, read what Klopp and Sarri have said about the amount of games teams in England play around Christmas and January. It is the lack of training time that is killer, would hate to give someone likes Leeds a whole week run out of specific training routines on Norwich, while Farke has to coach Norwich for a FA Cup game. That is a real competitive edge for our opponents. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

The FA Cup has been a procession for one of the top six clubs these past thirty years, with it being won by one of them for all but three of those years - and Everton were one of the other winners.

The finals themselves generally lack excitement, and are nowhere near as entertaining as the play-off finals, no matter which division.

I would argue the League Cup, or whatever it is called, has a superior format to the FA Cup, and is now comfortably it’s equal.