Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match thread v Portsmouth*****

37 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

We need the Blades to beat Barnet now

Depends when the game is rescheduled. The fixture with the Blades could be rearranged for mid week immediately after, and that's just before the Leeds game. That wouldn't be so good. Think if, fingers crossed, only Leitner is out by that stage, I'd rather play Sheff U at the time scheduled, although highly likely they'll on be in 4th round.

3 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

It was a red card all day long! He was last defender and it was a clear goal scoring chance. The referee was correct. Look at the players, including Hanleys reaction. That should tell you something!

Well isn't that why we love the game - so we can disagree? He was 10 yards outside the angle of the box, wide on the left, and the nearest defender was two or three yards away from him, so he would have done very well to even get a shot away. My point was that based on that most refs would not have seen that as a red. 

11 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well isn't that why we love the game - so we can disagree? He was 10 yards outside the angle of the box, wide on the left, and the nearest defender was two or three yards away from him, so he would have done very well to even get a shot away. My point was that based on that most refs would not have seen that as a red. 

Ref can undoubtedly defend his decision but from my seat, pretty close to the offending tackle, I think it was harsh. He was not a ref that chose to wag a load of cards around so in that context definitely harsh.

I don't really think df wanted to win. Very late substitutions indicate that. League far more important. 

27 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Dont think I have ever felt so mello getting home from a game that we lost.

So many positives, Todd back on form, it was Todd wasnt it?😀

Players returning from injury, played with 10 men but never really looked like it, Zimmerman is back to his best, Big Ben growing bigger and better with every game.

Strangely happy.

My sentiments too, last thing we needed was a replay.  I only watched on a stream, but some good positives, including Maclean and Passlack - who I think has something to offer.  The only disappointments for me were Hanley not getting a full game and Marshall who hardly seemed to be involved, except for a weak free kick.  Maybe that was down to only being ten players, but was hoping to see more from him.

3 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I don't really think df wanted to win. Very late substitutions indicate that. League far more important. 

I got the feeling that the thought of a replay was the reason he threw on the guys at the end. Either get a late goal or die trying...

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Ref can undoubtedly defend his decision but from my seat, pretty close to the offending tackle, I think it was harsh. He was not a ref that chose to wag a load of cards around so in that context definitely harsh.

I think if it was a “better” tackle (ie something which would have been a free kick but not a yellow anywhere else on the pitch) then he might have got away with a yellow only.

The problem is that it’s a really poor challenge - extremely late, very heavy and the striker goes flying. It would have been a yellow if it was on the halfway line with cover, so with him being the last man (albeit slightly wide and 30 yards out) I think a red is probably the right decision.

A red card all day long. Very clumsy and not too smart for such an experienced defender. We survived the loss of our11th man pretty well, but the difference for me was while in most league games we move the ball at pace and often forwards, today we moved the ball slower and if forward usually immediately back again. That may be lack of confidence, rust, lack of off the ball movement, but very rarely did we receive the ball and take it forward - Cantwell a notable exception to that. Thought Godfrey, Zimmermann, Passlack and Cantwell played well, McLean, Trybull and Srbeny looked OK but little more than that, and Marshall, Rhodes, Hanley and McGovern should be moved on if that represents the best they can offer the team.

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Yep - this. All day long.

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

.........the nearest defender was two or three yards away from him, so he would have done very well to even get a shot away.......

You mean three or four yards upfield of Curtis? Which of the three nearest defenders have the speed to get back and challenge him? Certainly not Zimmermann, even with a running start, and in reality all three were wrong-footed and had absolutely no chance.