Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Jarvis returns

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Interested to know who the other nine are. From my time watching NCFC (going back to the late 1980s) I'd definitely include Mike Sheron - quite a lot of money at the time, and pretty useless from what I can remember. Would Naismith also be in there just because of the sheer outlay? WIldschut must be in with a shout based on what we spent and what we've seen so far.

Not to mention my dearly beloved Wolfie... 🙂

He's in my top 10 for sure but as others have said it isn't his fault, just terrible decision making.

Jarvis wouldn’t make my top 10 ‘worst’ signings,  but he would certainly be right up there in my most ‘unfortunate’ signings.

I think most of the players Peter Grant signed would be before him. Including Chris Brown, Ian Murray, John Otsemebor, Jimmy Smith, Dave Strihavka, Julian Brellier and his flag........

😳🙂🙃😉

The ones I found most difficult to stomach are those that were poor for whatever reason and they got games anyway. A bit controversial here but I never rated Kevin Bond, he always looked confused by anyone with talent. The Doc made a career here but it coincided with the worst few years of being a City fan.... and I couldn't bear  Fotheringham. 

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think most of the players Peter Grant signed would be before him. Including Chris Brown, Ian Murray, John Otsemebor, Jimmy Smith, Dave Strihavka, Julian Brellier and his flag........

😳🙂🙃😉

For me worst signing doesn't mean 'worst player' necessarily. Context comes into it. Of the ones you've listed Smith and Strihavka barely cost us anything and were only here for a season at most.

Jarvis was an awful signing because of the context- a player we already had on loan for the season, who was injured and had been injured for quite a bit of the season before. There was no urgency to make the signing permanent and certainly no need to sign him to a nearly 4 year deal on high wages when he'd not proved his ability or his fitness in a Norwich shirt.

...on the other hand kc, Zac Whitbread was injured when he arrived, we waited ages for his first game,  that worked out okay, Pilkington had just got over a horrific injury and we paid big money for him before he was fully recovered, again a good return.  I guess you take a punt, some come off, some don't 

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

The ones I found most difficult to stomach are those that were poor for whatever reason and they got games anyway. A bit controversial here but I never rated Kevin Bond, he always looked confused by anyone with talent. The Doc made a career here but it coincided with the worst few years of being a City fan.... and I couldn't bear  Fotheringham. 

Good shout about Kevin Bond - very lucky to have made a career in football.

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Jarvis wouldn’t make my top 10 ‘worst’ signings,  but he would certainly be right up there in my most ‘unfortunate’ signings.

Luke Chadwick would be in the second group. Not a bad player, just not physically tough.

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Luke Chadwick would be in the second group. Not a bad player, just not physically tough.

Lois-Jean in that group too- just never fit in all his time here. I remember taking about 30 seconds to work out who he was on an end of season lap of honour one season.

• Like 1

I just had a look on wiki and he only had 2 games for us and that was it. Poor sod. Chadwick had the more reasonable 16.

Neil Emblen. 

Just for being gash Jason Jarrett, Simon Whaley, RVW, RDW...

Worth remembering that Jarvis has as many competitive goals for us as RVW managed and more than Dean Coney despite being on crutches for his entire stay. 

33 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Neil Emblen. 

Just for being gash Jason Jarrett, Simon Whaley, RVW, RDW...

Worth remembering that Jarvis has as many competitive goals for us as RVW managed and more than Dean Coney despite being on crutches for his entire stay. 

All bad players but we didn't pour the sheer amount of cash down the drain on most of them (RVW the exception) as we did on Jarvis.

Jarvis isn’t the worst value for money signing either though, is he?

He hasn’t been able to play because he’s been unlucky with injuries. RVW didn’t play because he was ****. We ended up paying him (and Naismith) to play for SOMEBODY ELSE!!! 

Jarvis wouldn’t make the squad of an all-time “worst” XI. Rossi might...

Theoklitos

Derveld

Husband

Walsh

Murray

Brellier

Carey

Jarrett

Whaley

De Waard

Van Wolfswinkel

Becchio

Strihavka

Maric

Southall

Brown

Thorne

Coney

Sheron

Bamford

Hammond

Koroma

Cottee

Stefanovic

Gow

Killen

Eagle

and there’s probably two dozen more before I’d pick him. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Jarvis isn’t the worst value for money signing either though, is he?

I'd imagine he is up there- Naismith is probably the worst though.

RVW we managed to ship out on loan (and I'd imagine at least a decent chunk of his wages went with him) and even managed to get a small fee for him.

Jarvis was reportedly one of the highest paid players at the club who basically hasn't played a game since he was signed permanently. Add in the reported fee of £2.5m and I reckon he's cost us the best part of £10m since he arrived.

Cant get him anywhere near my worst 20 players for us;  but definitely in the top 10 unlucky ones.      We haven't seen the best of him but likewise I can't understand the hate for him either.

As for his cost; that is linked purely to when he was signed and a desire to loan in another player during that Jan window;  the length and nature of the deal should be an issue for  the club,  not the player.

I wish him well. 

43 minutes ago, ZLF said:

As for his cost; that is linked purely to when he was signed and a desire to loan in another player during that Jan window;  the length and nature of the deal should be an issue for  the club,  not the player.

Oh totally- it isn't remotely Jarvis' fault, just poor decision making by McNally and Neil.

21 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Simon Tracey, Davie Robb, Jim Blair, Drazen Muzinic, RVW, Darren Beckford, Dean Colney for starters.

STRIHAVKA!

There is an obsession with money in the modern game. Owners are ranked by wealth and here we are discussing VFM across decades simply by fees and wages. If you want to work out who was the worst VFM you'd have consider their contribution compared to their percentage of the player budget for the season/seasons being considered. 

35 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There is an obsession with money in the modern game. Owners are ranked by wealth and here we are discussing VFM across decades simply by fees and wages. If you want to work out who was the worst VFM you'd have consider their contribution compared to their percentage of the player budget for the season/seasons being considered. 

Money is important in the modern game- it isn't an obsession to mention it. Naismith was clearly much more of a flop than Alan Gow due to the financial aspects. 

In my opinion three key things matter in deciding how good a signing was- performance, expectations and financial impact. So in my mind Leroy Fer wasn't a good signing but wasn't awful because although he fell short of expectations, he performed OK and we actually managed to make money on him and didn't have to carry an onerous contract going forward.

This isn't my judgement on Jarvis' ability (although I didn't think he was all that) more on how well the signing worked out. He wouldn't trouble any worst signing lists if he'd have stayed on loan, remained injured and gone back to West Ham at the end of the season.

Also of course we signed a 10m player for 2.5m. so he's certainly not worse VFM than RVW and Naismith. Drazen Muzinic probably holds all the aces in the worst VFM hand...

How much did we pay for John O'Neill? 34 minutes on the pitch and that **** brain John Fashanu decides to cripple him.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, king canary said:

For me worst signing doesn't mean 'worst player' necessarily. Context comes into it. Of the ones you've listed Smith and Strihavka barely cost us anything and were only here for a season at most.

Jarvis was an awful signing because of the context- a player we already had on loan for the season, who was injured and had been injured for quite a bit of the season before. There was no urgency to make the signing permanent and certainly no need to sign him to a nearly 4 year deal on high wages when he'd not proved his ability or his fitness in a Norwich shirt.

We signed him permanently so we could free up a loan spot, which went to Patrick Bamford. That one didn’t work out very well either.

On 06/01/2019 at 14:33, TIL 1010 said:

Simon Tracey, Davie Robb, Jim Blair, Drazen Muzinic, RVW, Darren Beckford, Dean Colney for starters.

I was a snip at £300,000 and wore numbers 3,4,5,7,8,9,12 - who else could be as 'consistent' as I was in so many different positions!?

You were probably still smarting about the loss of the majestic MP to Sheffield United!

I could also deliver your daily pinta too!

😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Beat me to it king canary.

It's quite simple West Ham signed Matt for 10.75m and sold him to us for 2.5m. quite clearly we gambled. 

However Sporting signed RVW for e5m and sold him to us for e10m. Quite clearly we were had...

While you're here I refer you to my previous post about Peter the Pointer's signings. Was wondering why that absolute crock of didn't make your list...

Don't know, or care, where Jarvis ranks as our worst ever signing, the bottom line is that in his time here he has contributed absolutely nothing.

On top of that we paid far too much for him, we paid him far too much in wages and we'll get nothing for him when he leaves.

From start to finish. whenever that might be, It's been a complete disaster.