Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

What’s the point of having a squad?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly- both big bean pole strikers who are mainly there to chuck in for 10 minutes off the bench to be a pain in the **** for defenders but not of the required quality to be a starter at this level. 

I rather agree - but again the 'bean pole' bit gives it away.

How would you describe Crouch? Is Nathan Dyer a midget? Obviously neither can play football.

I think Puuki & Rhodes are our first choice, & I would always start them first. But Dennis isn't a league 2 or league 1 player. He's an excellent Champs squad player, & that's how Farke uses him.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think you see what you want to see

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-player-watch-srbeny-so-close-to-being-the-hero-during-cruel-cup-defeat-for-canaries-1-5758405

Verdict: Really could – and perhaps should – have been the hero. Denied by a post but had to beat Boruc in the first half. Big chance to stake a claim slips away but would cause Championship defences problems with this kind of performance.

Rating: 7 out of 10

He's produced similar performances whenever he's come on this year.

And I've seen Rhodes miss just as many chances; is he a league 2 player also?

 

No, I see what I see.

His touch is decent but his finishing is ropey. He can hold the ball up but his link up play isn't great. He wins headers and runs around a lot. Interesting that you've chosen a player rating that actively says he missed good chances.

He's fine as a squad player but nothing more- we saw him start a couple of times against Championship teams last season and he didn't look good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I rather agree - but again the 'bean pole' bit gives it away.

How would you describe Crouch? Is Nathan Dyer a midget? Obviously neither can play football.

I think Puuki & Rhodes are our first choice, & I would always start them first. But Dennis isn't a league 2 or league 1 player. He's an excellent Champs squad player, & that's how Farke uses him.

 

Quite the leap you're making there. 

The fact he's a beanpole isn't why I don't think he's good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think Puuki & Rhodes are our first choice, & I would always start them first. But Dennis isn't a league 2 or league 1 player. He's an excellent Champs squad player, & that's how Farke uses him.

We will agree to disagree here and leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't want to be too harsh on Srbeny...but I'd rather have seen that chance at the end at Brentford , fall to Rhodes... Admittedly Srbeny had only been on the pitch for half a minute, but he dragged it horribly wide... League two is not right, but I can't see him starting many games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Srbeny is certainly better than League Two.

His technical ability is actually pretty good, he has a good touch and can carry the ball. He's not looked bad at linking play just behind the front line. 

Some people thought Stiepermann was League Two quality last season.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

It's good to see the sticks are getting rotated after a couple of winless games. 🤔

Apples

Got an opinion on the football maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Srbeny is certainly better than League Two.

His technical ability is actually pretty good, he has a good touch and can carry the ball. He's not looked bad at linking play just behind the front line. 

Some people thought Stiepermann was League Two quality last season.

I don't think he's League Two quality but I also don't think he's Championship starting quality- which is fine. He has a role and he does it OK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Dennis came on v Forest, he lashed one shot over before we equalised and it absolutely fizzed off his foot, so he's certainly got a decent shot on him, although the accuracy needs improving.  He should have at least hit the target with the chance he had at Brentford.  I wouldn't feel confident if we had to play him instead of Pukki or Rhodes though - we might see on Saturday v Portsmouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

I don't think he's League Two quality but I also don't think he's Championship starting quality- which is fine. He has a role and he does it OK. 

He wouldn't get a CF spot ahead of either Rhodes or Pukki so i'd agree. He's technically pretty good thought which is why he's often an impact sub as you can play him anywhere in an attacking position in the last 10 minutes of a game and he can make an impact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bex said:

Because Wilbraham is English and Srbeny is German? :classic_laugh:

I've not come here to slate Dennis Srbeny, but come on.............It's not an insult to call him a League 2 player...he's a professional footballer and what he shows on the pitch is of that standard.

I'd agree with you on what we've seen so far, but he's hardly had ample opportunities to adapt to the Championship. It's a vicious circle – he's not up to speed so he'll be detrimental to our overall effectiveness if we throw him in, but if we don't throw him in he won't adapt to the Championship.

I'm not for a moment advocating we should throw him in, but for most of the first half of last season Vrancic looked utterly clueless, but once he'd adapted he proved himself to be a very handy player. Also I believe Srbeny was the top goalscorer in the German third tier when we signed him, which shows he has some latent ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Unfair to Zimmerman. At their best Klose & Cristoph have been - as a unit - our best performers. Unfortunately Timm's been injured & Christoph's had this strange 'problem with his metabolism' which has affected the partnership

We played some real dog's do with Hanley at the back - & he was there a fair while before injury.

Does this mean I think he's rubbish? Certainly not. You have to take into account the rest of the team - especially as they fit together - when attempting to make judgements. For a simple game, footie can be very complex.

My personal opinion is that replacing Pinto with Aarons has had the most impact on our season.

And Bex, to call Dennis a league 2 standard player is simply not true.

 

I think Hanley has more potential to play at PL level than Zimmermann, personally. He's faster, and is good enough on the ball. He had a very poor start to this season, but he's a natural leader and will take his chance back in the team when he gets it (my opinion, obvs). I like Zimbo, and he's clearly of outstanding character, but I'd be looking at Hanley and Godfrey as our first choice for next season irrespective of what division we're in (I'm expecting Klose to leave in the summer).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd agree with you on what we've seen so far, but he's hardly had ample opportunities to adapt to the Championship. It's a vicious circle – he's not up to speed so he'll be detrimental to our overall effectiveness if we throw him in, but if we don't throw him in he won't adapt to the Championship.

I'm not for a moment advocating we should throw him in, but for most of the first half of last season Vrancic looked utterly clueless, but once he'd adapted he proved himself to be a very handy player. Also I believe Srbeny was the top goalscorer in the German third tier when we signed him, which shows he has some latent ability.

I guess what I'd say is Vrancic showed some obvious ability even in his struggles- his vision and range of passing was clearly evident he just struggled with the speed of the game. Srbeny I just don't see more than a 'chuck him off the bench for 15/20 when behind.'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I like Zimbo, and he's clearly of outstanding character, but I'd be looking at Hanley and Godfrey as our first choice for next season irrespective of what division we're in

Completely agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I guess what I'd say is Vrancic showed some obvious ability even in his struggles- his vision and range of passing was clearly evident he just struggled with the speed of the game. Srbeny I just don't see more than a 'chuck him off the bench for 15/20 when behind.'

Yeah, that's a fair point – Farke was getting dog's abuse for persisting with Mario, but he clearly knew he had an important creative role to play in the team/squad, and it took time for him to adapt to that role. I doubt he ever expected Dennis to be a regular starting 9.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

He wouldn't get a CF spot ahead of either Rhodes or Pukki so i'd agree. He's technically pretty good thought which is why he's often an impact sub as you can play him anywhere in an attacking position in the last 10 minutes of a game and he can make an impact.

Name me a time Srbeny has made a direct impact on us winning or salvaging a draw?

 

Seeing as that's the only role he has played so far since being here I'm interested to hear times he's done so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Also I believe Srbeny was the top goalscorer in the German third tier when we signed him, which shows he has some latent ability.

That's why I said I think he's League 2 standard...Meaning he would bang in goals for fun at that level...maybe get you 5-10 a season in League 1 and maybe 0-2 in the Championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, king canary said:

I guess what I'd say is Vrancic showed some obvious ability even in his struggles- his vision and range of passing was clearly evident he just struggled with the speed of the game. Srbeny I just don't see more than a 'chuck him off the bench for 15/20 when behind.'

Agreed. If you can't clearly see the quality between the two players in the times they have not performed (positions they play and/or types of players have nothing to do with this) then sorry but you don't read the game of football very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bex said:

Agreed. If you can't clearly see the quality between the two players in the times they have not performed (positions they play and/or types of players have nothing to do with this) then sorry but you don't read the game of football very well.

Cast your mind back to September/October 2017, and I'm sure you'll find a great number of people saying Vrancic was absolutely hopeless, a passenger, woefully inadequate, a waste of space… he pinged a few good passes, but a lot of bad ones too, and was so far off the pace of the game it was almost embarrassing.

I'm not saying I believe Srbeny would become a top Championship striker if given a long run in the team, but let's not kid ourselves about how poor Vrancic was for the first couple of months in the team. There was a huge amount of criticism levelled at him, from myself included.

The fact Farke is persisting with Srbeny in the squad means that he has a role to play – and if that role is about 20 minutes from the bench here and there, that's about right for the level of performance he's shown so far. But to suggest he would score '0 to 2' goals in the Championship is ludicrous – he's already scored 1 in just 12 substitute appearances, as well as a brace against a Premier League side in the EFL Cup. If he got more of a run in the team, I'm sure he'd soon improve from the levels he's shown so far – but obviously he's not shown enough to suggest that he's worth putting above Pukki or Rhodes in the pecking order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Srbeny hasn’t really been given any match time to make an impact. Pretty hard to be judged when only coming on last 10/15 mins. As I said before let’s hope he plays Saturday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bex said:

Name me a time Srbeny has made a direct impact on us winning or salvaging a draw?

 

Seeing as that's the only role he has played so far since being here I'm interested to hear times he's done so...

What's a direct impact? Is it whatever you decide it to be to try and make a point?

Obviously he scored away against Wednesday and got an assist away to Birmingham. But he was also quite important in getting us a draw against Forest at home at the death. Again, i'm not that determined to focus on one particular player to try and find criticism or praise so I can't list every single positive thing he has done. I've not paid that close attention, unlike you clearly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Again, i'm not that determined to focus on one particular player to try and find criticism or praise so I can't list every single positive thing he has done. I've not paid that close attention, unlike you clearly.

The only attention I've paid towards him is what I've directly seen from him when I've watched him play. Not once has he filled me with confidence that this is the standard of football he should be playing at. End of. That's my opinion, clearly there's many of you that find him more than suitable to play an important role in our squad and that's also fine!

 

I honestly can't wait for him to prove me wrong!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bex said:

The only attention I've paid towards him is what I've directly seen from him when I've watched him play. Not once has he filled me with confidence that this is the standard of football he should be playing at. End of. That's my opinion, clearly there's many of you that find him more than suitable to play an important role in our squad and that's also fine!

 

I honestly can't wait for him to prove me wrong!!!!!!!!

Think most have said, essentially, that he's a good third choice option. Which I agree with. I don't see many better 3rd choice strikers in this division bar those with parachute payments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He reminds me of John Manning from the 60's. Not very quick and takes a bit of time to control. But in certain circumstances could probably be deadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bex said:

Name me a time Srbeny has made a direct impact on us winning or salvaging a draw? Seeing as that's the only role he has played so far since being here I'm interested to hear times he's done so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34OgEr_3Au4

And please don't tell me that a Carabao Cup match against Cardiff doesn't count. Dennis started on his own up front and was MOM if I remember correctly. Of course League Two teams do win Cup matches ............

Incidentally, note also Srbeny's defensive contribution at set pieces. No gentle passing of the ball to an opposition player waiting to strike from the edge of the box; instead a powerful clearance back where the ball came and into touch. Just like an EPL defender .........

Edited by westcoastcanary
Added final paragraph
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×