Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match thread v Brentford*****

1 win in 5 now.
A draw against Wurst Brom would be a good result though.

Just now, Herman said:

That's why most are happy to come out with a point. We didn't play at our best, we lost a couple of players, one too early, yet we didn't lose.

You may be relieved to come out with a point Herman, as indeed I am; you may even be ecstatic about it; but you can't seriously be happy with it. Three points were there for the taking.

It must be high time that Maclean shows what he can do. Hopefully he can live up to expectation.

I think you are suffering from a simple case of pedantry😀. Happy, relieved, grateful, glad etc we didn't lose, and got something out of a tough game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, unique said:

It must be high time that Maclean shows what he can do. Hopefully he can live up to expectation.

Is he actually fit and available? Defo stick him in against Portsmouth.

Result important. Performance even more important.

Thank goodness two or three players played magnificently while others were frankly woeful. Trybull and Vrancic are not anywhere near good enough for a top two team to rely on. Vrancic had his lazy attitude today thinking he could just stroll. Trybull played better the last 20 minutes but up to then was dire. And too many of the rest were either out of position (Cantwell/Hernandez/Godfrey/Aarons) or just poor (Zimmermann).

But that is form I expect and just maybe our form has deserted us at the same time we have lost three from our midfield.

Krul was absolutely outstanding in everything he did and if anyone picks a different MOTM then they are mad.

It’s a very good point in the end. We desperately need a break now and try to get some players back and fit. 

One thing bugging me though is Farkes team selection. For the life of me I just cannot see why he hasn’t utilised Rhodes, Marshall and Hanley more over this festive period? We’ve instead pushed players to the limit and as a result added to the injury list. 

Will Marshall even get a chance in an advanced role? 

We’ve had a tough last 5 games, with a real mix bag of results and performances. But I’m still seeing enough to suggest we can challenge at the top of this league for the second half of this season. We just need a fit squad, and dare I say a little better utilisation from Farke? Oh, and no January sales please, bar of course Olive and possibly Pinto. 

Edited by Il Pirata

1 hour ago, K Lo said:

1 win in 5 now.
A draw against Wurst Brom would be a good result though.

Also only 1 defeat in 5, but i take your point, a team needs more than 1 win in 5 to remain near the top end.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Happy with this. Hard fought point keeping us unbeaten away since August and hopefully the start of another unbeaten run. Only Sheff Utd really gained. The game against them will be another Carrow Road big one. What a season we are having.🙃

Westy - happy in the context of this post. Thought it was self explanatory buddy 🙃

49 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Westy - happy in the context of this post. Thought it was self explanatory buddy 🙃

Definitely self-explanatory Nutty. Clear case of denial (meaning psychology: the refusal to accept reality or fact, acting as if a painful event, thought or feeling did not exist) :classic_biggrin:. And you are far from alone. Me, I'm relieved but, even more, exasperated. I can see my prediction of a fourth place finish proving correct.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I think you are suffering from a simple case of pedantry😀. Happy, relieved, grateful, glad etc we didn't lose, and got something out of a tough game.

🙄  Linguistic precision is as important as the sort of clinical finishing that was so painfully absent this afternoon! A spade is a spade and it's no good pretending it's a silver spoon 😉 

10 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Definitely self-explanatory Nutty. Clear case of denial (meaning psychology: the refusal to accept reality or fact, acting as if a painful event, thought or feeling did not exist) :classic_biggrin:. And you are far from alone. Me, I'm relieved but, even more, exasperated. I can see my prediction of a fourth place finish proving correct.

LOL

Hard fought point 

Unbeaten away since August 

Start of another unbeaten run 

Only Sheff Utd really gained 

The Sheff Utd game will be another big one at Carrow Road

What a season we are having

I think that just about covers the entire post. Now which bit was in the African river?🙃

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

LOL

Hard fought point 

I think that just about covers the entire post. Now which bit was in the African river?🙃

LOL NN!

Owned!😂

54 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

LOL

Hard fought point 

Careful Nutty - he'll be parading the Expected Goals graphic on here if you provoke him too much. 😉 

Hard fought point ->  Well yes, you have to fight hard to salvage anything out of games when you hand the
                                      opposition the lead week after week. 

Unbeaten away since August  ->  That's a fact.

Start of another unbeaten run   ->   Er, shouldn't that be qualified with e.g. "I hope"? 

Only Sheff Utd really gained  ->  Absolutely false. All our rivals for promotion gain when we drop points, e.g.
Leeds gained and  retained top spot instead of us catching them.

The Sheff Utd game will be another big one at Carrow Road  -> A fact only because we've surrendered 7 points since Xmas day

What a season we are having  ->  We are, even better in several respects than I expected; my prediction is 4th.

I make that just 2 out of 6 surviving scrutiny Nutty (but then I'm just a sceptical old killjoy :classic_sad:)

Happy 2019 to all of you.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Layout

I expected a win before the match but that is where we are at now, expecting 3 points rather than turning up expecting to lose. Maybe with hindsight those expectations of 3 points were slightly high given the number of not just players but influential players to the style and system we play were out. We had, in all honesty a shocker, by far second best all afternoon. To take a point when we deserved none is a point gained. On to the next match and hopefully some of those players will be back in and hopefully we will see a return to the previous form. Whatever  happens it’s going to be one hell of an exiting ride for the rest of the season. Who would have thought that after the Ipswich game? I certainly didn’t and am thoroughly enjoying it

Edited by JF

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Whatever  happens it’s going to be one hell of an exiting ride for the rest of the season. Who would have thought that after the Ipswich game? I certainly didn’t and am thoroughly enjoying it

JF, as the board's best known pedant, could I implore you to put the "c" in "exciting". I hate to read of you exiting all the time when there's so much else to agree with in your posts! 😉 :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I didn’t see it as a bad performance, but more so a ‘tired’ performance.

Most fans were expecting a few changes at the start. Farke’s explanation, as I understood it, was having lost three regulars (Leitner, Buendia and Lewis) to injury, he didn’t want to then make it five or six changes to his regular line-up. A reasonable explanation, I guess, knowing that the next game was an FA Cup tie.

Tiredness was no excuse for Vrancic’s performance today. The occasional excellent pass failing to compensate for an otherwise abject contribution. Just hope Maclean brings plenty of positives to the party.If and when.....

8 minutes ago, unique said:

I didn’t see it as a bad performance, but more so a ‘tired’ performance.

I think you mean a bad/poor performance born of tiredness. We barely strung three passes together all game, mustered only 8 shots, of which only 3 were on target, and contrived to leave Brentford's CB unmarked at a corner to hand them the lead. Furthermore, Onel, who Brentford had singled out as the chief threat and immediately double or triple marked, was left without any assistance for virtually the entire game. As a result the best he could do was win corners, the majority of which were then woefully wasted. If that isn't a bad/poor performance I really don't know what is. 

I think overall it was a poor performance and we got away with it. It would have been a steal or a mugging had Srbeny's shot been on target. Only in the last 15 minutes did we look threatening. Brentford's attacking threat  was greater. Krul was MOTM and I don't  think there were too many other contenders we could honestly  pick. That tells a story. Yet as DF pointed out there was a penalty decision to be made early on and not given. It would have changed the dynamic.

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I think overall it was a poor performance and we got away with it. It would have been a steal or a mugging had Srbeny's shot been on target. Only in the last 15 minutes did we look threatening. Brentford's attacking threat  was greater. Krul was MOTM and I don't  think there were too many other contenders we could honestly  pick. That tells a story. Yet as DF pointed out there was a penalty decision to be made early on and not given. It would have changed the dynamic.

Whoscored.com made Vrancic MOM! 

I'm glad I was working while this was happening,  reading the thread after the result gives a very different perspective on the game and how people feel when they're in the moment. From what I've read most of the Team should never wear the shirt again! Even DF comes in for some stick, incredible. Tim Krul has a blinder and despite all the stick he's had to put up with,  he mainly only received begrudging praise. I'm a little worried that we're displaying an hier of entitlement when playing the likes of Brentford and it's not realistic. Ultimately, we're still second,  still 2 points ahead of 3rd and one closer to top, with one game less to play.  It may not have been pretty  but we came away with a point,  earned by a decimated squad in need of a rest. It might not be a popular opinion but cut the boys some slack, now, more than ever, they need your support. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

I'm glad I was working while this was happening,  reading the thread after the result gives a very different perspective on the game and how people feel when they're in the moment. From what I've read most of the Team should never wear the shirt again! Even DF comes in for some stick, incredible. Tim Krul has a blinder and despite all the stick he's had to put up with,  he mainly only received begrudging praise. I'm a little worried that we're displaying an hier of entitlement when playing the likes of Brentford and it's not realistic. Ultimately, we're still second,  still 2 points ahead of 3rd and one closer to top, with one game less to play.  It may not have been pretty  but we came away with a point,  earned by a decimated squad in need of a rest. It might not be a popular opinion but cut the boys some slack, now, more than ever, they need your support. 

Hear! hear!

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

1) This is a forum- people will post their opinions on here 

2) Nobody has said anything about anyone 'not wearing the shirt again.' That is complete nonsense.

3) Not every critique of a player/manager/performance is 'stick.' 

4) What is said on this forum will have precisely 0% effect on the performance of the players.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

4) What is said on this forum will have precisely 0% effect on the performance of the players.

What about preparation of the scampi ? 

Thanks for the numbers kc, always helpful to those who can't count. As it's a forum , I too, can post my opinion. While no one actually said that they shouldn't wear the shirt again, it's clear that some of the criticism is of the moment and way over the top. Well done on the use of the word critique, you can dress it up any way you want, ultimately it isn't praise.I didn't say that comments on here would affect performances did I?