Sign in to follow this  
Block E Buh

Why do we have no natural wingers?

[8-)]

Norwich down the years have always played with good natural wingers,such as Ruel Fox,Dave Phillips,Darren Eadie,Neil Adams etc...

Our recent two signings have been centre midfielders to add to Rossi Jarvis,Youseff Safri,Andy(Gary Holt no.2)Hughes and Jason Jarrett,why oh why havent we got square pegs for square holes?Huckerby,Henderson,Brennan,McVeigh are all NOT wingers!Im not jumping on the worthy out wagon but it does worry me that we have a team of confused individuals.Its time we had a half decent winger to supply our 3million target man than a player out of position,thats what sheffield utd have and look where they are.

OTBC

Wide right has been an obvious problem all year, only Worthington seems unable to see it

No idea why we are persevering with Henderson in that role, clearly nowhere near good enough

Made worse by allowing Edworthy to leave, as we have also lost his crosses into the box from that side

It is a problem that has been there for so long, yet nothing has been done about it.

Personally I would rather have an below average winger than a good striker or central midfielder playing out of position.  At least the team would look balanced.

When you consider Worthy''s considerable lack of tactical and technical expertise it becomes more and more surprising that we won this league two years ago. More and more I find myself asking ''How''? But when you look back on teams that Howard Wilkinson managed you realise where many of the present problems stem from. If you get a one goal lead just defend for the rest of the game. Defend deep at all times. The most important part of the team is the midfield. Fill this area with players who can defend and run all day. Forwards should also be able to cover every blade of grass and play across the entire width of the pitch. Strikers must learn to play on the wings because this strategy doesn''t allow wingers etc. etc.         

I''m a natural whinger given the way we''ve been playing recently. 

There''s not many good right wingers out there playing, I would have

taken a punt on sedgwick of preston maybe but I can''t think of any

others can you?

for me, Dave phillips and neil adams weren''t natural wingers, they

could both pass and put great ball in, phillips from left adams from

right, but in both cases they rarely went past anybody before crossing.

Hucks is a true winger cos he hugs the touchline, goes past people at

will, creates chances and scores. In full flow, he''s better than eadie,

disco and the equal of fox. he gets you on the edge of your seat better

than any player of recent years. He''s been slagged off recently, but if

he''s missing for 3-4 games we will miss him - make no mistake (worthy

speak)

I was on this site a few weeks ago posting a short list of potential right wingers we could sign, who are experienced (or young Premiership players), and have proven to be good Championship players. They included (although I''ve forgotten two of them, sourced from a search in Football Manager 2005 for right mids - I included those I had heard of in the short list):

Shaun Newton (West Ham)

Tommy Black (Palace)

Kevin Harper (Stoke)

Jamie Morrison (Middlesborough)

As you can see, there really aren''t that many good right wingers about these days who we could realistically get - unless we look in the lower leagues. Although my knowledge of players in the lower leagues is poor these days, so I have no idea who could be available. And judging our record of buying players from the lower leagues, I reckon no one associated with Norwich have any idea who plays outside the top two divisions and not in East Anglia either.

Our best team of recent times used Culverhouse and Bowen as overlaping full backs, we were always getting behind defences this way.

How many times does Drury make forward runs, not receive a pass from Huckerby who loses the ball trying to do it all himself only for the oposition to play it forwards into the space behind Drury?

Worthy''s method relies upon a midfielder running into the space created by the defence doubling up on Huckerby and receiving a pass. No one has done this job effectively since Francis.

Perhaps what we should be asking is:

1. Why don''t we get behind defences?

2. Why can''t anyone cross the ball?