Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The usual problem

It was not really a surpriseĀ  when Derby scored once from a corner that they would do it again. Who would bet against them scoring yet another?

What is it about our defence that we are good at keeping attacks at a distance but when once they have a set piece we seem weak?

Agree MP.

The same old problem that sees us joint top and scoring bags of goals. The same old problem in giving fans one of the best seasons in years.

Ā 

...Look at other top teams too, they let in goals.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We've conceded two or more goals in 6 of the last 9 games. That isn't sustainable for being top 2.

This.Ā 

5 points dropped at home by poor defending not a good sign , great entertainment but will not get us anywhere need a solid defence 2-0 up should have been enough

Ask Alex Neil how conceding that many goals works out in the end, everyone shrugs it off while you're on the up but the writing was on the wall, teams don't concede goals like this and get the top two.

EnetertainingĀ it most definitely is but we are absolutely shipping far tooĀ many goals at home - it doesnā€™t seem to be an issue in the road; somethingĀ needs to be worked on to sort it out or our dalliance with the top two will not last a lot longer!

Farke sounded defiant at the end of his post match comments as well as accepting we were poor and sloppy. So, lets hope we get this matter tackled.

Ā 

And we get a chance to do just that in 3 days.

Sorry but this love- in with our run has to be put into the context of the Premier League. Conceding 7 in two at home in the Championship is unlikely to be form that wins promotion, but if we did go upĀ with this tactical philosophy we would be destroyed. There is no substitute at this stage of the season for building from the back and packingĀ the goal when two up. Time to stop crowing about how we, and Leeds have thrilledĀ the Championship. Otherwise we will be doing the same this time next year.

It seems to be as much about individual mistakes as it does about structure. Lots of changes in the back four have obviously caused problems as well.Ā 

Much has been made about the 3 all thriller against Forest and memories the last time it happened. Forest broke the transfer record not only for a striker but also for a keeper and with Lloyd and Burns created a formidable defence supported by "journeyman" pros.Ā They left the Carra goal spree behind and conquered Europe. Basically, Clough learned and adapted.

Only Villa have a worse defence than us in the top 14. You can't blame that just on injuries. We need a another LB to cover for Lewis as Godfrey is wasted there and is probably not good enough either. Zimmermann was shocking today, I can't believe Hanley is worse than that. A good kick up the a4se is not a bad thing just ahead of the transfer window.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Only Villa have a worse defence than us in the top 14. You can't blame that just on injuries. We need a another LB to cover for Lewis as Godfrey is wasted there and is probably not good enough either. Zimmermann was shocking today, I can't believe Hanley is worse than that. A good kick up the a4se is not a bad thing just ahead of the transfer window.

Not sure he's fully fit again, not his normal self I agree

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Not sure he's fully fit again, not his normal self I agree

I don't think Zimm's quite right at the mo. Looked really knackered by the end.

Max & Marco both a bit indifferent today I thought, & TeemuĀ  becoming progressively less effective at harrying. Todd also looking like he's getting 'found out' as other teams learn about his playing style. All of these capable of moments of brilliance though.

Tettey is another who's starting to look as if tiredness - mental or physical - is catching him up; he was excellent for most of the game but that last post-floodlight session seemed too much for him.

I think Grant needs a go,Ā he looked excellent in his little cameo recently, & perhaps Marshall could be brought in for Todd?

I have to say Dennis is starting to look a real Menace lately! Not sure he should start but is a real handful as a sub.

Ā 

It's a shame about all those injuries to our midfielders as we don't have any players with real bite. Vrancic, Stiepermann and Cantwell aren't great at winning the ball back. Would love to see Godfrey in there. What the hell has happened to McLean? I thought he was close to a return.

Trybull certainly displayed why he's not in the team or even in the squad at times in his cameo....what the hell was he doing forĀ their 3rd just after he came on allowing their player to run straight past him unchallenged?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Zimmerman was done for pace more than once and let the attacker get the wrong side of him. I was alittle surprised he came straight back in to be honest.

2 hours ago, NCFCInnit said:

Much has been made about the 3 all thriller against Forest and memories the last time it happened. Forest broke the transfer record not only for a striker but also for a keeper and with Lloyd and Burns created a formidable defence supported by "journeyman" pros.Ā They left the Carra goal spree behind and conquered Europe. Basically, Clough learned and adapted.

Well that's not going to happen here is it! Farke's not going to go out and break the transfer record to replace our young and inexperienced players. If that's the solution you'd like then you're following the wrong club.Ā 

But if the young and inexperienced players improve as they get older and more experienced that may help erase some of the mistakes.

Let's not lose sight of the fact these players have exceeded everyone's expectations and are top two at the turn of the year. I have no idea if we will stay there. Or get a crack at the play offs. The manager trusts them and they will go again on Tuesday. They deserve our continued support.

Edited by nutty nigel

Zimmo has been poor since he went to pieces against Bolton by misplacing pass back to Krul early in second half couldn't kick straight for good 15 mins and Bolton scored first soon after and a second later.Ā  Today his distribution was appalling and was a major factor in the poor defensive display.

Farke said only wanted Klose to play 25 mins against Forest if so why wasn't Hanley played instead?Ā 

Think Hanley should come in for Zimbo on Tuesday & Todd needs to be rested.

I know he's not a defender bit I do think Mo's absence affects us defensively. Ā He dictates so much of the pace in games ,Ā we look more solid & game management is better with the Tettey/Mo midfield than Tettey/Mario especially without Emi buzzing about.Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

I know he's not a defender bit I do think Mo's absence affects us defensively. Ā He dictates so much of the pace in games ,Ā we look more solid & game management is better with the Tettey/Mo midfield than Tettey/Mario especially without Emi buzzing about.Ā 

Spot on. But in addition to his appreciation of the situation and his dictating the pace of the game, IMO Mo has alsoĀ added a greaterĀ defensive element to his game this season.Ā To be fair to Vrancic, when he first came in in place of Mo, he made a good fist of that aspect of the midfield pairing with Tettey, but latterly it's been less in evidence. We need damage limitation now until Mo is fit.

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Spot on. But in addition to his appreciation of the situation and his dictating the pace of the game, IMO Mo has alsoĀ added a greaterĀ defensive element to his game this season.Ā To be fair to Vrancic, when he first came in in place of Mo, he made a good fist of that aspect of the midfield pairing with Tettey, but latterly it's been less in evidence. We need damage limitation now until Mo is fit.

The loss of one (admittedly very talented) central midfielder shouldn't throw us that far out of whack.

I wonder if there is an argument for a return to a back three next week- Hanley, Klose and Godfrey if all available, with Godfrey able to step forward into midfield if needs be.