Sign in to follow this  
Creative Midfielder

iFollow not working yet again?

32 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I agree entirely about VPN being the major issue.

Creative Midfielder - try Browsec - I'll be stunned if it doesn't immediately resolve your complaint. ISP won't make a difference as no ISP (I'm aware of) blocks you from using a VPN, and Ifollow doesn't know who your ISP is as the VPN masks it.

If a service provider such as iFollow is serious about enforcing geographical limits, they will slowly but surely identify and blacklist more and more VPN servers. There is no guarantee that Browsec, or any other VPN provider, will continue to elude identification of their servers. Makes no difference whether it's a free VPN or subscription VPN; all that makes a difference to is the quality/download speed. I'm not aware of any generally accessible alternative to VPN for masking geographical location.

11 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

If a service provider such as iFollow is serious about enforcing geographical limits, they will slowly but surely identify and blacklist more and more VPN servers. There is no guarantee that Browsec, or any other VPN provider, will continue to elude identification of their servers. Makes no difference whether it's a free VPN or subscription VPN; all that makes a difference to is the quality/download speed. I'm not aware of any generally accessible alternative to VPN for masking geographical location.

I would guess that the majority of people using VPN's for this will be trying free ones and hence IFollow will go after those first.

Edited by Van wink

ISP means Internet Service Provider (BT, TalkTalk etc) so I'm not sure if you're confusing that with companies that provide a service on the internet in your use of terminology but it seems muddled.

I agree that no VPN will remain safe forever however, it does make a massive difference if it is a free or paid for VPN. Free VPNs usually use public channels with multiple people using the same IP adress. Paid for VPNs usually offer a dedicated IP address for each customer, so there are not multiple people using the same connection, making them infinitely harder to spot and blacklist.

ISP means Internet Service Provider (BT, TalkTalk etc) so I'm not sure if you're confusing that with companies that provide a service on the internet in your use of terminology but it seems muddled.

I agree that no VPN will remain safe forever however, it does make a massive difference if it is a free or paid for VPN. Free VPNs usually use public channels with multiple people using the same IP adress. Paid for VPNs usually offer a dedicated IP address for each customer, so there are not multiple people using the same connection, making them infinitely harder to spot and blacklist.

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I would guess that the majority of people using VPN's for this will trying free ones first and hence IFollow will go after those first.

Yes, very likely, but the vast majority, if not all, subscription providers offer a free service too, so the result is the same. 

Just now, westcoastcanary said:

Yes, very likely, but the vast majority, if not all, subscription providers offer a free service too, so the result is the same. 

Do they, not in my experience. They often offer a time limited free trial but not free service. Would love to know how to access the free services? A link would be appreciated if you have one.

4 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

No, it isn't. Paid for VPNs are infinitely harder to spot. That's why the free ones are struggling to access Ifollow and paid ones are not. I used the Opera free VPN last season - they shut it down towards the end of the season. I bought a paid for VPN and logged on to the same account, on the same laptop, using the same wifi connection and hey presto, access was restored.

If you went to McDonalds and saw a guy eating a burger, you wouldn't think twice. If you went to McDonalds and saw 200 people sharing the same burger, it might raise some red flags that something weird was going on. Odd analogy but it works.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I was using it in the latter sense kio. I don't think having a dedicated IP address stops you being blacklisted; each and every IP address can be traced to an owner. So if Browsec is targeted for blacklisting, it is likely to affect every address they own. I'm not 100% sure, but that's how I think it would be.

That's not the case WCC. There's lots of ways that VPN providers can prevent VPNs being noticed - scrambling metadata and very complex computery stuff, but if it was as simple as flicking a switch for Ifollow to block them all, then they'd have done it by now. Free VPNs often have their domain name in the traceroute so are easy to spot and can be blocked en masse by denying the domain name any access - the VPN provider has little interest in making those fool-proof, they want people to buy their paid for product after all.... dedicated VPN servers have much higher levels of encryption and masking on them, and are not obvious.

Plus - do Ifollow really want to? They have to be seen to be doing SOMETHING about it to prevent falling foul of UK laws... however the number of people in the UK using VPNs to access it is probably quite a sizeable sum of money to be losing out on. Block the public ones and the easy targets but are they really going to spend time, resources and effort to reduce their revenue if they can avoid it?

For the record btw - my VPN IP address can't be traced to an owner - it's hosted in a cloud computing storage facility in New York - the IP is registered to the cloud computing company, at least by doing a basic cursory search it is. 

For the record btw - my VPN IP address can't be traced to an owner - it's hosted in a cloud computing storage facility in New York - the IP is registered to the cloud computing company, at least by doing a basic cursory search it is. 

I agree that the real question is how serious the EFL are in enforcing the geographical limits. As you say, there isn't a simple on/off switch, you have to invest time and hence money. 

I have watched every game so far on ifollow for 5 quid a match. It's brilliant.  You just have to tech savvy. And listen 

Firefox 

Windscribe  VPN 

Sign in pay and disable the add on.