Sign in to follow this  
Creative Midfielder

iFollow not working yet again?

I found I had to refresh the browser without content blockers (using Safari) then it worked. I think they've changed the settings somehow so that browsers recognise the player as some kind of plugin or something.

18 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

I found I had to refresh the browser without content blockers (using Safari) then it worked. I think they've changed the settings somehow so that browsers recognise the player as some kind of plugin or something.

Thanks for the info but can't even login now - some are saying that iFollow is down?

Ifollow was fine.

Adblock is a problem. Video wont work if adblocker is on. Some VPNs are having issues but defo not all of them. Had no issues at all with Browsec.

Think the problems with iFollow go way beyond Adblock, think their whole platform is completely unstable and full of bugs.

For instance on Boxing Day got the option up to buy a match pass, which is normally job done, but repeated attempts to actually buy a match pass all failed but without the site even reporting an error/problem - it either just refreshed the window or on a couple of occasions went back to the login screen.

Today got logged in but never even got the option of a match pass. Tried switching to Safari as someone posted they had it working but by then couldn't even log in to iFollow!! Once again no error or indeed any reponse at all other than a refresh of the screen so you could try as many futile attempts as you pleased before you give up in disgust.

This is all pretty basic stuff, some of which has been a problem from day one with iFollow. But until recently if you persisted, or contacted their support, things usually worked eventually but for the last few weeks its been a total waste of time.

Ive literally had no issues at all aside from 30mins before we found out adblock was causing issues during one game. Logs in every time, video works every time etc. My dad has just switched to the same VPN i use (Browsec) today and had no problems at all after weeks of issues similar to what you describe using VyperVPN. The problem is with your VPN or your adblocker. We both bought season passes this year but i successfully used the same set up buying match passes for the entirety of last season. I hate to say it but the problem is on your end buddy.

Edited by kick it off

It has been working absolutely excellently used legally as advertised from outside the UK without a VPN all season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Your point?

Probably that the issue is not with the ifollow platform itself as some were alluding to, but rather with the setup that is accessing it. Seems to be the logical read on it... and similar to the very point i made.

Edited by kick it off

3 hours ago, kick it off said:

Ive literally had no issues at all aside from 30mins before we found out adblock was causing issues during one game. Logs in every time, video works every time etc. My dad has just switched to the same VPN i use (Browsec) today and had no problems at all after weeks of issues similar to what you describe using VyperVPN. The problem is with your VPN or your adblocker. We both bought season passes this year but i successfully used the same set up buying match passes for the entirety of last season. I hate to say it but the problem is on your end buddy.

Well whilst its certainly interesting to know that you're using a specific VPN without problems (would be useful to know what browser you're using also) but I'm afraid it doesn't explain why so many people have such different experiences of the platform and it certainly doesn't explain why very basic functions such as logging in, which should be available to everyone and don't require a VPN, still do not perform reliably.

Add into that the fact that most of these failures are not handled in any sensible way by the platform but simply fail 'silently' and what you have is a very shoddy piece of software. I don't doubt for a minute that if I put a bit of effort in I could make it work, but much as I would sometimes like to watch a match I can't get to I also have a bit of a professional reluctance to waste my time by paying for the priviledge of debugging other people's software.

Sadly as far as today is concerned, it seems I dodged a bullet    😀

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Well whilst its certainly interesting to know that you're using a specific VPN without problems (would be useful to know what browser you're using also) I'm afraid it doesn't explain why so many people have such different experiences of the platform and it certainly doesn't explain why very basic functions such as logging in, which should be available to everyone and don't require a VPN, still do not perform reliably.

Add into that the fact that most of these failures are not handled in any sensible way by the platform but simply fail 'silently' and what you have is a very shoddy piece of software. I don't doubt for a minute that uch as I would sometimes

Their software is probably getting cleverer at spotting people from the UK who are trying to access it with vpns and are able to shut them out by restricting their access and stopping their ability to log in.  If anyone from abroad is not able to log in, that would be different, but are they having problems with it or is it just uk users.....

1 minute ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I thought that but it's the speed of  connection that appears to be the issue.turn off your vpn once you're in.

Yes, but if you can't get in in the first place.....

Just now, lake district canary said:

Their software is probably getting cleverer at spotting people from the UK who are trying to access it with vpns and are able to shut them out by restricting their access and stopping their ability to log in.  If anyone from abroad is not able to log in, that would be different, but are they having problems with it or is it just uk users.....

Well I've seen certainly those suggestions although I can see no sense in that. I'm not sure whether iFollow have ever said that they are doing it or whether people have assumed it as an explanation for the erratic behaviour of the platform.

But even if that is what they are attempting it doesn't explain why basic functions such as login fail silently - there is no requirement whatsoever to be physically or virtually overseas to login to the platform. That restriction only applies to watching live streams so I'm pretty sure that shoddy software is to blame rather than any 'precision' on their part

I usually use the app (then airplay to it my tv through Apple TV) with TunnelBear.

Occasionally the app doesn’t launch at all, which must be to do with the VPN as if you turn it off TunnelBear it will then open. Today it took a few goes, usually disconnecting the VPN and then reconnecting and closing any other apps fixes this. Eventually got in fine and watched the whole of the first half no problem. At the beginning of the second half, video stopped and I got booted out of app. Wasn’t able to open the app for the remainder of the match unless I switched the VPN off, which obviously meant I then couldn’t watch the match.

It hasn’t worked on my pc since about the third game this season. No matter what browser I use, with any Adblock turned off, the bit where you login says ‘restricted from your location.’

If anyone has any tips, please feel free to share!

7 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Ok. Firefox with Windscribe turned on. Signing in takes for ever. Then switch it off.

Interesting - I think that bears out my point about the erratic nature of the platform.

Last year I used Tunnel Bear, with the occasional glytch, but mostly successfully. This year much less so and so I switched to exactly the approach you described above.

Apparently it worked perfectly for you today, for me it was responding but not actually working at all, others were saying the platform was down completely........QED!

Im using Chrome with Browsec premium VPN (dedicated IPs). I suspect free VPNs are certainly the cause of some people's troubles but some of the premium paid for ones dont seem to fare any better.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anyone know if the Tuesday matches are available to uk users of ifollow?

Should be. Any league game that is not 3pm Saturday is available as far as i am aware. It will be on skysports red button too i would imagine. The legal restriction only covers saturdays between 3pm and 5.15pm.

Indeed. I’ve been using it all season from oversea without a vpn without a problem so I don’t think it is a problem with I follow. They don’t have a license for the UK so I suspect they are contractually required and are using blocking software. A vpn massively reduces my internet speed from a few hundred mbps to a few mbps. A quality paid for vpn helps but still causes significant connection problems. I would happily pay to watch cricket for instance and no way to get quality  coverage. It is an issue than the EU is addressing but will continue to be a problem if UK not part of EU. 

The coverage is much improved this season and well worth it for those with access. 

2 hours ago, T said:

I would happily pay to watch cricket for instance and no way to get quality  coverage. 

Jesus, you couldnt pay me enough to watch cricket. I can vaguely understand going to a game and having a bit of a drink and whatever, but watching it on telly is eye bleedingly boring.

That said, regardless of the merits of cricket of a sport, i think the direction of travel is TV dying and everything becoming increasingly online and on demand so if Ifollow can prove the model then i expect Sky will follow will cricket, F1 etc. NFL already run this model in the uk and they have domestic packages available.

Edited by kick it off

49 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Jesus, you couldnt pay me enough to watch cricket. I can vaguely understand going to a game and having a bit of a drink and whatever, but watching it on telly is eye bleedingly boring.

That said, regardless of the merits of cricket of a sport, i think the direction of travel is TV dying and everything becoming increasingly online and on demand so if Ifollow can prove the model then i expect Sky will follow will cricket, F1 etc. NFL already run this model in the uk and they have domestic packages available.

Agree with every word, especially the cricket.   It's arcane that I can't get to watch my club play (legally) on a saturday afternoon through a pay to watch scheme, when it's ok for people abroad to watch it.

Sport is the only thing that I watch on linear TV. The rest is on demand. So having worked with the media industry it is going in that direction. What surprised me is how much content is viewed on YouTube by younger generation. 

DAZN already provide an I follow/Netflix model for various sports. I wish Sky was also more international. The problem is that license rights are sold by local region. In particular the fear of the impact on attendance. The EU wants to open things up for consumers but UK and expat consumers will lose out if not part of EU. 

The rules are in place to safeguard against people watching on TV instead of physically going to the games.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with every word, especially the cricket.   It's arcane that I can't get to watch my club play (legally) on a saturday afternoon through a pay to watch scheme, when it's ok for people abroad to watch it

Couldnt agree more LDC, i live in completely separate Country, NOT part of the UK and would happily pay for a decent way to watch my team play live. I strongly feel that making live games 100% available would have little or no effect on attendances. If i still lived in Norfolk , i would go to pretty much every home game whether it was on telly or not. Is that just me or do others feel that freeing up tv restrictions would not adversely affect attendance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Couldnt agree more LDC, i live in completely separate Country, NOT part of the UK and would happily pay for a decent way to watch my team play live. I strongly feel that making live games 100% available would have little or no effect on attendances. If i still lived in Norfolk , i would go to pretty much every home game whether it was on telly or not. Is that just me or do others feel that freeing up tv restrictions would not adversely affect attendance.

I'd go further - if somewhere there was a designated NCFC channel showing every game, I would buy into it.  I don't know what Sky costs these days, £40 a month? I will never pay that for Sky, but would pay that to watch every game of ours - probably more than a season ticket costs.  

Exclusive club channels then?  It surely has to come, whether it is on Sky or elsewhere.