First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

John Brooks

Wow what a performance. so poor it was unbelieveable at times.

He managed to book 7 players during the game, but before the end Pantilimon (a serial time waster), Fox and possibly Hefele could have and probably in the case of two of them should have been dismissed. I also think Stiepermann was fortunate too.

This season we have witnessed several referees, who basically have very little control over the game. they are not keeping their eye on the ball at all times, which results in players taking free kicks where ever they like, and goalkeepers wasting time on an industrial scale. Pantilimon should have gone, and he's got history of doing this here - why do the Refs not keep their eye on the keeper when he is about to take  goal kick? When you piddle about with the ball, taking an eternity before you kick it should get a verbal warning, if it continues a Yellow should quickly follow. With a red for persistently continuing to waste time. The paying fans don't want to see this, the game doesn't need it, when are we going to have officials who will stamp on it?

Steipermann was a tad lucky, it was a poor challenge made worse by the fact it was right in front ot their fans, who obviously wanted blood. But where it really fell apart was the fact that having decided he was only going to get a yellow, Fox having a running argument with the lino should have resulted in him getting at least a yellow - poor refereeing not to protect your fellow officials. Pukki got booked for having a bit of a face off with one of the Forest defenders, who surprisingly wasn't also booked for his part and the guy who barged him out of the way got off totally scot free, baffling.

Another example of poor/inconsistant refereeing occured when he allowed us a play on - where he could have given us a free kick. After that phase of play was over he didn't go back and caution their player. Yet when an identical thing happened but the other way around he booked our man - inconsistant? poor? you decide.

But, the key decision of the game he got wrong was the clearest handball by one of their defenders I have ever seen. it wasn't even debateable, it was clear cut and the lino who was close by didn't see it either. Unbelieveable Jeff.

Overall it was a performace that lacked any sort of control or authority, yet I'm sure this clown will be reffing again next week safe in the knowledge that this terrible performance will be defended, by those who think they are doing a superb job running the game.

Sorry, but us fans deserve better...

Edited by First Wazzock

Oh, the other thing I forgot when the time wasting reached it's peak...

When you award a team a throw in and have to move it to the right position, a guy shapes up to take it then throws it to a team mate who goes through the same sort of routine - apart from throwing it to another team mate, it's time wasting punishable by a yellow card. So, do your job properly.

Not seen a replay, but from the lower Barclay Steipermann's attempted block didn't look anywhere near warranting a red card. Actually thought the ref was quite good in the first half, but utterly lost the plot in the second.

Fox was a total ****, and should have received yellows on 3 separate occassions. I was absolutely delighted he had that smirk wiped from his face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not seen a replay, but from the lower Barclay Steipermann's attempted block didn't look anywhere near warranting a red card.

Exactly: Stiepermann wasn't even challenging for the ball, he was just trying to get in the way of the clearance. It was a block, not a tackle and I'm not sure he even made any contact with the man.

I don't agree that he was good in the first half; there were several fouls in the build up to their goal before half time. We simply didn't get any protection.

Stiepermann's yellow card was completely justified. Just watch the highlights again.

And regarding time wasting, particularly in away games, taking our time over goal kicks and throw ins has been a noticeable feature of our own performances, even in the first half. I agree it should be stamped on, but don't pretend we don't resort to it. 

You'd think teams would be looking to restrict the amount of added on time when they're playing us. Either that or get four goals ahead...

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You'd think teams would be looking to restrict the amount of added on time when they're playing us. Either that or get four goals ahead...

:classic_biggrin: Yes indeed. Where would we be in the table Nutty if games only lasted 75 minutes ........!

Another puzzling decision for me - around 79 minutes, a thru ball intended for Pukki comes off the Forest defender's ankles and redirects to the Forest keeper who picks it up. Would that not count as a back pass and so be an indirect free kick for us as the keeper handled it, or does the pass have to be deliberate for that to be the result? 

It has to be deliberate Surfer. The rule is designed stop back passes for the keeper to then pick up and deliberately disrupt the flow of play.

Even from the highlights on quest it was obvious how useless he was... One has to wonder, if onel's last gasp winner had been saved, would he have awarded the obvious penalty for the late challenge?