Herman

Unofficial Official Match Thread.

5 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

the team certainly gave their all in terms of determination and not admitting defeat, but that shouldn't mask the fact that they were profligate with good chances, and made mistakes leading directly to Forest's goals.The real omens in the game were the signs from early on of poor decision making, which in the end led to us surrendering two points.

Got to disagree with that, the only bad decsion making I saw in the first half of any note was Aarons' trying to play out of trouble on the edge of the penalty area - and even that was mitigated because he had his ankles tapped by the attacker.  Other than that we dominated play most of the time and could easily have scored four or five.

Sometimes matches don't go to plan and this one certainly didn't and over analysing them is a bit pointless.  The very positive thing that comes from yesterday - and could be the most important thing for us this season - is that we never give up - and yesterday confrmed that beyond any doubt.

I'm not saying we won't lose a match here and there, but no team will feel they have won a match against us even if two or even three goals up - and that is going to help us as the season progresses. We are relentess - it is how we play and teams can't live with it. 

Imo it wasn't poor decision making that cost us three points, it was the combination of several things - a dodgy ref unable to make big calls, Forest's goalkeeper, injuries to our players and a bit of bad luck.  That constitutes a football match that was as spectacular as you could want.

So we only got a point, but that performance (and Leeds' against Blackburn) should have sent out the message to the rest of the division loud and clear - we do not give in. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Whether we are or aren't in the Premier League next season doesn't hinge on how much of a MOG I am! If we are two points short of automatic promotion at the end of the final round of games, you won't take much consolation in the euphoria of today's comeback!

Or it could be that we finish in the top 2 by 1 point and this comeback and result was massive.

Yes we should have won the game but we never capitulated or felt sorry for ourselves for gifting them 2 goals and having to play against the officials as well as Forest. Every few games I keep saying I’ve never celebrated a goal like that. Here’s hoping for plenty more of those moments

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Got to disagree with that, the only bad decsion making I saw in the first half of any note was Aarons' trying to play out of trouble on the edge of the penalty area - and even that was mitigated because he had his ankles tapped by the attacker.  Other than that we dominated play most of the time and could easily have scored four or five.

Aarons's mistake was not mitigated by him having his ankles tapped; what you mean is that he might have got away with it had that not happened. Having watched the replay I don't think he was fouled at any point. And incidentally, Max has taken that same risk several times before in other games; it's unnecessary and asking for trouble.

No other examples of bad decision making? Well, firstly, Pukki shooting instead of crossing to Stiepermann; by crossing, Pantelimon would have been wrong footed and Stiepermann would have had a simple finish for 1:0; second Stiepermann's reckless sliding block/tackle on Robinson, which could easily have seen him sent off early in the game and which affected his ability to influence the game thereafter; thirdly, Hernandez's impetuous tackle leading to the free kick from which Forest scored their second goal. That's four examples for you, and two of them from senior players whose heads should be clearer.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo

Ultimately as exiting as yesterday was if we are going to achieve promotion the mistakes and goals against need to be minimal. Performances like yesterday’s will see us drop out of the top two quickly 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Jeez westcoast, a little charity, it's Christmas for chrissakes. 

There was plenty of charitable giving on the pitch yesterday without me adding to it! When it comes to league points, successful teams pin pictures of Scrooge on their dressing room walls :classic_biggrin: Whatever, I wish everyone a very healthy, happy and league point-prosperous 2019. 

46 minutes ago, JF said:

Ultimately as exiting as yesterday was if we are going to achieve promotion the mistakes and goals against need to be minimal. Performances like yesterday’s will see us drop out of the top two quickly 

Performances like yesterday's won't see us drop out of the top two. Not finishing the multitude of chances we had on the other hand, may do.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Performances like yesterday's won't see us drop out of the top two. Not finishing the multitude of chances we had on the other hand, may do.

We conceded three pretty sloppy goals at home so yes performances like that will quickly see us out of the top two. The gap to third is now only 3 points with us having a worse goal difference. 

Performances like yesterday are exhilarating, exciting, magnificent and are everything I could ever want from a football match.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Performances like yesterday are exhilarating, exciting, magnificent and are everything I could ever want from a football match.

I agree. But we won’t get promoted making the mistakes and playing the way we did yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, JF said:

I agree. But we won’t get promoted making the mistakes and playing the way we did yesterday. 

We won't gain automatic promotion playing like that, but we might still win the play-offs -- unless, given our current form from the spot, it goes to penalties! 

9 minutes ago, Van wink said:

FFS on another day we could have scored 7 or 8.

On 999 another days out of a 1000 we don’t go on to get a point after allowing the opponent to go three goals ahead. Exiting it undoubtedly is but if we don’t cut out the errors we certainly wont be in the automatic places for much longer. 

Just now, westcoastcanary said:

We won't gain automatic promotion playing like that, but we might still win the play-offs -- unless, given our current form from the spot, it goes to penalties! 

Yeah meant to say automatic rather than promotion 

28 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Would we be 5th or 6th?

35 minutes ago, JF said:

On 999 another days out of a 1000 we don’t go on to get a point after allowing the opponent to go three goals ahead. Exiting it undoubtedly is but if we don’t cut out the errors we certainly wont be in the automatic places for much longer. 

I hope you didnt leave early JF😉

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Why not  3rd?😉

Because of such avoidable things as 2 points dropped at home against Notts Forest .............. 

Just now, Van wink said:

felt like 1 point gainned to everyone there

Absolutely it did, and it wouldn't have harmed the dressing room vibe either.

From the position of being 3-0 down it absolutely is one point gained. Would you have taken one point before kick off? I wouldn’t have

It was, and it did even 5800 miles away. But it could and should have been three.  

1 minute ago, JF said:

From the position of being 3-0 down it absolutely is one point gained. Would you have taken one point before kick off? I wouldn’t have

Not many would with our run of form, playing at home and being 2nd in the table.

2 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

It was, and it did even 5800 miles away. But it could and should have been three.  

It certainly could have been three, as I said earlier if we had finished one more of the many many chances we created it would have been. But we created the chances!

We are halfway into the season some people are getting ahead of themselves.Just enjoy the ride ,it’s been brilliant watching City so far this season lets just see how far we can get.It could be much worse just look down the A47.

• Like 1