Herman

Unofficial Official Match Thread.

We played extremely well throughout the match and I cannot find it in me to find a negative like you WCC. It is a fact we got one point but we never had a position in the match to drop 2. We gained 1 against such high odds.

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

wcc, I usually find your posts interesting & informative, but this looks the handiwork of a WUM.

Sometimes things go against you. This was one of those occasions.

We. Were. Magnificent.

May look that way, but anybody who is familiar with my posts over the last few years knows perfectly well that I am not a WUM. I'm usually accused of being a Happy Clapper!

Coming back from 0:3 down was thrilling and a testament to the team's character. But it should not be allowed to disguise the fact that being 0:3 down was a predicament of our own making -- from the moment Pukki chose to shoot instead of crossing for Stiepermann. We were undone by poor decision making on a day when, unlike on several other days, our mistakes didn't go unpunished.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

We played extremely well throughout the match and I cannot find it in me to find a negative like you WCC. It is a fact we got one point but we never had a position in the match to drop 2. We gained 1 against such high odds.

The odds against us taking a point were only high because we had earlier allowed Forest a 0:3 lead. 

6 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Jeez, you can be a MOG sometimes. 

Whether we are or aren't in the Premier League next season doesn't hinge on how much of a MOG I am! If we are two points short of automatic promotion at the end of the final round of games, you won't take much consolation in the euphoria of today's comeback!

It is possible to be caught up in the euphoria of today’s miraculous and ridiculous comeback and still understand that on the balance of play we’ve dropped two points today. On to Saturday and we must take all 3 now against Derby. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

May look that way, but anybody who is familiar with my posts over the last few years knows perfectly well that I am not a WUM. I'm usually accused of being a Happy Clapper!

Coming back from 0:3 down was thrilling and a testament to the team's character. But it should not be allowed to disguise the fact that being 0:3 down was a predicament of our own making -- from the moment Pukki chose to shoot instead of crossing for Stiepermann. We were undone by poor decision making on a day when, unlike on several other days, our mistakes didn't go unpunished.

To say it was a predicament of our own making is a bit rich. Aarons made a very rare mistake (I'm not convinced his trailing leg wasn't kicked BTW) & got punished by a shot that squeezed in with about 2 inches to spare. With a similar amount of luck going our way we could have been 3 up a that point.

We were being consistently fouled without any retribution. For the build up to the 2nd goal (I think) Pukki got thrown to the ground after the ball had gone. Buendia got kicked off the park. The guy who scored their 2nd should have been sent off for a blatant penalty we weren't given.

Additionally their goalie played a blinder. These things were not of our own making. To say they were is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

To say it was a predicament of our own making is a bit rich. Aarons made a very rare mistake (I'm not convinced his trailing leg wasn't kicked BTW) & got punished by a shot that squeezed in with about 2 inches to spare. With a similar amount of luck going our way we could have been 3 up a that point.

We were being consistently fouled without any retribution. For the build up to the 2nd goal (I think) Pukki got thrown to the ground after the ball had gone. Buendia got kicked off the park. The guy who scored their 2nd should have been sent off for a blatant penalty we weren't given.

Additionally their goalie played a blinder. These things were not of our own making. To say they were is just plain wrong.

Ron, tabulating incidents which were definitely not of our own making simply ignores those which were. I agree that we should have held a comfortable lead prior to conceding the first goal. That's my point.You say "with a similar amount of luck", but IMO we could and should have held such a lead without needing luck. 

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Er, mog ? 😁

Yes, a WUM and a MOG apparently! No doubt several more choice expressions coming my way yet. :classic_biggrin:

9/10 we would have won that game by a couple of goals, but it seemed that it would be one of those games where sometimes the best team gets beaten.

However, they say fortune favours the brave, and that was a very special fightback which will live long in the memory.

Westcoastcanary; considering our financial restrictions, and the fact we have so many young players in the squad, I feel your standards are completely unrealistic and rather unkind. Of course we make mistakes throughout the course of games, but the fact remains we deserved at the very, very least a point today.

Edited by Ian
Typo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Ron, tabulating incidents which were definitely not of our own making simply ignores those which were. I agree that we should have held a comfortable lead prior to conceding the first goal. That's my point.You say "with a similar amount of luck", but IMO we could and should have held such a lead without needing luck. 

I'm sorry but I think using your criteria anything less than a win is points dropped because of events entirely under our control. Life's not like that. We can't control the ref. We can't change the exact shape of the pitch or the wind velocity.

Unless we play the perfect game every time we will drop points. Even then, for reasons given above (plus a ton of others) we will drop points.

On the overwhelming balance of play, chances created, mistakes made, we did plenty enough to win.

But sometimes you lose. Otherwise there'd be no point in playing.

Just back from the game (200 miles each way for me to get to home games - ironically from nottingham). Absolutely robbed today. Forest were pathetic. Timewasting at 0-0 in the 11th minute? Come on, get a grip. Theyre a typical Karanka team. Full of ****housing and doing everything they can to avoid actually playing a game of football. Unbelievable to hear Forest fans whinging about the amount of added on time, as it could quite easily have been 7 mins in the first half too.

We were architects of our own downfall to an extent. The first was Aarons twatting about when he needed to hoof it, second was a free kick that didnt need to be given away and 3rd was caught on the break because we had to load the frontlines to try and scrape back into it after gifting the first two.

Massive credit to the lads for fighting their way back into it. The passion and spirit this team has is unreal. Even at 3-0 with 14mins left i still thought we had a chance which is testament to what a great job Farke has done with his fitness regime and belief that he has instilled in the players and fans alike.

Worrying amount of injuries coming out of the game today. With Mo out for a month, Mclean may have got fit just when we need him, although i have to say Vrancic was superb again today. Thought he was excellent. Hernandez changed the game yet again, needs to be starting ahead of Cantwell who looks like he is running out of steam and needs a rest (although with Buendia out he may not get that rest now). 

Special mention to the Ref today who managed to complete a full 90 mins of being an utter C**T. WTF was he on? One of the worst displays ive ever seen from the officials. Their keeper should have been booked about 18 times for timewasting, and how neither ref nor lino spotted the handball is ridiculous to the point where their professional integrity is called into question. Its was one of the most blatant ive ever seen and both had a clear line of sight to it. Not that a penalty would do us much good this season but its the principle of the matter that counts.

Also thought Srbeny was excellent when he came on. Hes really improved as a player. Whether he makes the grade is still up in the air but he made a contribution today and won everything aerially.

Also Godfrey. Some incredibly sloppy distribution but was absolutely immense again today. Think he provided the assist for the equaliser too but could be wrong on that front.

Overall i think we deserved all 3 points. Had more than enough chances to score 6 or 7 today but just werent clinical enough. It wasnt to be and have to make do with a point but it was joyous to wipe the smiles off the forest faces right at the death. Smug tw**s.

Sat in the City stand today (a rarity) and can also say that the flags before kick off looking absolutely quality. Well done to all involved in that project.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ian said:

9/10 we would have won that game by a couple of goals, but it seemed that it would be one of those games where sometimes the best team gets beaten.

However, they say fortune favours the brave, and that was a very special fightback which will live long in the memory.

Westcoastcanary; considering our financial restrictions, and the fact we have so many young players in the squad, I feel your standards are completely unrealistic and rather unkind. Of course we make mistakes throughout the course of games, but the fact remains we deserved at the very, very least a point today.

I would be surprised if my "standards" are much different to how things were seen in the Norwich dressing room this evening. I'd be very surprised if DF and the players don't, like me, see this as two points they let needlessly escape them. 

Agreed Ron.

On the balance of play we deserved to win but it looked like one of those games where the omens were against us.

So to get a draw from 3-0 down so late in the game feels like a win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

We were architects of our own downfall to an extent. The first was Aarons twatting about when he needed to hoof it, second was a free kick that didnt need to be given away and 3rd was caught on the break because we had to load the frontlines to try and scrape back into it after gifting the first two.

Overall i think we deserved all 3 points. Had more than enough chances to score 6 or 7 today but just werent clinical enough.

👍 My opinion exactly - and look at the flak I've been getting for posting it!

I think Westcoast it's possibly because you rarely accept another person's view. Just your own.

Now, I think it's good to stand by your points and stubbornness is  sometimes a good trait. But you might (now and then) get some criticism coming your way. Just something I've noticed. I think also you won't be too worried.

But...There are lots of ways of looking at things.

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I can recommend this if you fancy a laugh:

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47460

Apparently the ref wasn't very good? But that's because of the 7 minutes added time, nothing about the inability to recognise (multiple) handballs.

Are they ****ing serious? The ref was tossing off their players the entire game. Gave everything their way near enough.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Just back from the game (200 miles each way for me to get to home games - ironically from nottingham). Absolutely robbed today. Forest were pathetic. Timewasting at 0-0 in the 11th minute? Come on, get a grip. Theyre a typical Karanka team. Full of ****housing and doing everything they can to avoid actually playing a game of football. Unbelievable to hear Forest fans whinging about the amount of added on time, as it could quite easily have been 7 mins in the first half too.

Massive credit to the lads for fighting their way back into it. The passion and spirit this team has is unreal. Even at 3-0 with 14mins left i still thought we had a chance which is testament to what a great job Farke has done with his fitness regime and belief that he has instilled in the players and fans alike.

Worrying amount of injuries coming out of the game today. With Mo out for a month, Mclean may have got fit just when we need him, although i have to say Vrancic was superb again today. Thought he was excellent. Hernandez changed the game yet again, needs to be starting ahead of Cantwell who looks like he is running out of steam and needs a rest (although with Buendia out he may not get that rest now). 

Special mention to the Ref today who managed to complete a full 90 mins of being an utter C**T. WTF was he on? One of the worst displays ive ever seen from the officials. Their keeper should have been booked about 18 times for timewasting, and how neither ref nor lino spotted the handball is ridiculous to the point where their professional integrity is called into question. Its was one of the most blatant ive ever seen and both had a clear line of sight to it. Not that a penalty would do us much good this season but its the principle of the matter that counts.

Also thought Srbeny was excellent when he came on. Hes really improved as a player. Whether he makes the grade is still up in the air but he made a contribution today and won everything aerially.

Also Godfrey. Some incredibly sloppy distribution but was absolutely immense again today. Think he provided the assist for the equaliser too but could be wrong on that front.

Overall i think we deserved all 3 points. Had more than enough chances to score 6 or 7 today but just werent clinical enough. It wasnt to be and have to make do with a point but it was joyous to wipe the smiles off the forest faces right at the death. Smug tw**s.

Sat in the City stand today (a rarity) and can also say that the flags before kick off looking absolutely quality. Well done to all involved in that project.

It's good to have another report like Ricardo's. Thanks KIO. Agree about your views on Forest and the ref. At least we didn't lose in the end. Could be an extremely valuable point in hindsight. 

Worrying about the mounting injuries. Guess we will see more of the likes of Trybull, McLean, Marshall and Passlack. Perhaps we will venture into the loan market? Webber and Farke will know what an opportunity we have.

Yet, we dominated this match like we did at Blackburn. It gives me confidence we can be a match for most teams (with a couple of big matches coming very soon against West Brom and Leeds).

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I think Westcoast it's possibly because you rarely accept another person's view. Just your own.

Now, I think it's good to stand by your points and stubbornness is  sometimes a good trait. But you might (now and then) get some criticism coming your way. Just something I've noticed. I think also you won't be too worried.

But...There are lots of ways of looking at things.

👍 I certainly don't subscribe to the belief that one opinion is as good as another (that only holds true for opinions as to genuinely random outcomes). I'll happily accept any opinion that is better supported by evidence than the alternatives and simply acquiescing to different opinions is not the way to identify the best supported. Probing opinions helps you to see just how much they are worth. Stubborness, no; methodology, yes.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Added final sentence.

Just watched the highlights back. Godfrey immense in terms of carrying the ball forward for the first and the clever ball for the second - however, Klose just as important with the initial ball out wide for the 3rd and then then Pirlo-esque step over to draw the defenders and leave Onel clean through :classic_biggrin:😂

Yes Westcoast, I'm sure that the coaching staff will be working on our weaknesses, and I'm equally sure Aarons won't be making that same mistake.

Forest also made several errors for our goals, and I'm sure that if you looked at 95% of goals across the Championship tonight you could trace them back to an error from the defending side. 

However, what you seem to be suggesting is that it's almost a negative we have to keep "pulling something out of a hat" as it were? I may be wrong but I believe we actually have the sixth highest number of clean sheets this season, suggesting that we're not doing all that much wrong.

Given the recent transition the club has undertaken, and the youngsters in our squad our current league position is nothing short of phenomenal. 

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

.............. what you seem to be suggesting is that it's almost a negative we have to keep "pulling something out of a hat" as it were? I may be wrong but I believe we actually have the sixth highest number of clean sheets this season, suggesting that we're not doing all that much wrong.

Given the recent transition the club has undertaken, and the youngsters in our squad our current league position is nothing short of phenomenal. 

Ian, as someone who consistently defended DF and his players all through last season AND the first six games of this one, when so many of the posters on here were questioning the manager and squad (not to mention Webber), asking people to be patient and promising the results would start to come, I don't think I can be accused of underestimating anything. On the contrary, I feel entitled to say "I told you so".

As far as what I think about the pluses and minuses of having to keep pulling something out of the hat, see the "Leeds are pants" thread where I've made my view clear. 

For what it's worth my opinion is that we have a young and inexperienced side who are performing with so much maturity and with such big hearts that they have had just one defeat since August and are unbeaten in the last 12. The fans are loving it. Carrow Road is an amazing place to be. This could carry us through to promotion. If it does it will be massive. But it will be a rollercoaster like today. To expect this side to control games for 90 minutes and win to nil is an unrealistic expectation. I am enjoying every second and if we end up promoted I fully expect it to be in added time on the last day! 

OTBC 🙃 💛💚💪

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

For what it's worth my opinion is that we have a young and inexperienced side who are performing with so much maturity and with such big hearts that they have had just one defeat since August and are unbeaten in the last 12. The fans are loving it. Carrow Road is an amazing place to be. This could carry us through to promotion. If it does it will be massive. But it will be a rollercoaster like today. To expect this side to control games for 90 minutes and win to nil is an unrealistic expectation. I am enjoying every second and if we end up promoted I fully expect it to be in added time on the last day! 

OTBC 🙃💛💚💪

It will be a 98th minute winner from Matt Jarvis at Wembley Nutty (You heard it here first 😜)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JF said:

It is possible to be caught up in the euphoria of today’s miraculous and ridiculous comeback and still understand that on the balance of play we’ve dropped two points today. On to Saturday and we must take all 3 now against Derby. 

I agree.

Negative points against Forest were letting in 3 goals. QPR & PNE both beat Forest at the City ground 1-0. May sound boring but it was 3 points won, not 1.

• Like 1

Seems the Forest owners are not amused by our comeback.....

Edited by Surfer

4 hours ago, wooster said:

Agreed Ron.

On the balance of play we deserved to win but it looked like one of those games where the omens were against us.

So to get a draw from 3-0 down so late in the game feels like a win.

"The omens were against us"? There are games when, despite playing your absolute best, making no mistakes, and giving your all, the three points you set out to get elude you "through no fault of your own". That's when phrases like "it wasn't meant to be", "the fates conspired against us" etc. etc. are perhaps excusable. But that was not the case this afternoon: the team certainly gave their all in terms of determination and not admitting defeat, but that shouldn't mask the fact that they were profligate with good chances, and made mistakes leading directly to Forest's goals.The real omens in the game were the signs from early on of poor decision making, which in the end led to us surrendering two points.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo