Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Just back from the match....

Ok, I don't get to many matches, but certainly enjoyed this one. Having been restricted to watching us on TV in one form or another since September, it was great to see the team - and fans - at a match again.   It was a cold afternoon and most of us were up in the top tier of the ground for some reason.....felt a bit like going to a Newcastle match....but it was a great view, made worthwhile by the fiesty and battling performance against at times what looked like a bunch of cloggers. 

The supporters made a big noise all through the match and although we were under the cosh a bit at the start of the second half, you always felt that we had the ability to make a strike on goal.  Stiepermann in particular could have scored another cracker, but for an athletic save from the Blackburn goalie, Zimmermann had a cracking header saved - but there were several other opportunities that just slipped away from several players.  We even had the ball in the net twice from Godfrey, who I thought had a very good match.

Pukki's goal was class - Vrancic through to Hernandez and across the face of the goal to Pukki, who convincingly put it away.  Good performances all over the pitch too, Krul made several good stops, Aarons caught the eye, as did Cantwell who really gets stuck in and was as quick and skilful as always. 

Given that we were forced into losing two important players to injury, we coped well with that second half onslaught and it felt to me like we would score at some point - we were so close on several occasions, but it was terrific to see that winning goal go in.  Key to the win imo, were the quality of the subs we could bring on in Vrancic and Hernandez - and just shows what a good quality squad we have.

Finally, a mention to Harrison Reed who was the pick of the Blackburn players, good to see him doing well - and a lovely moment again at the end of the match with DF coming over to the away end and orchestrating the fans in celebration. 

Good result and top of the league again.....long may that continue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I couldn't listen or watch the match, but I've just read Monday's comments about losing Reed at the end. What happened to him Lakey?

1200 for the reasonably long drive from Norfolk is commendable, was at Bristol last Saturday along with the 1400 odd that went, it's always good to get amongst the travelling faithful.

Glad you had a good day Lakey, and great to be there for the win!

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I couldn't listen or watch the match, but I've just read Monday's comments about losing Reed at the end. What happened to him Lakey?

Nothing as far as I'm aware, I was just aware of him being subbed.

Thanks for that Lakey  but are you sure about Krul making several good stops as i thought he had become the official club scapegoat now that Russell Martin has left ? 😜

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Thanks for that Lakey  but are you sure about Krul making several good stops as i thought he had become the official club scapegoat now that Russell Martin has left ? 😜

Lol.  Krul was excellent throughout.

I'm another northern correspondent and agree about Blackburn spoiling the game. It was clear they had identified our two most creative players and stuck poor tackles on them. I expected Blackburn to a better team and 'cloggers' is a good enough term for them Lakey.

We played a bit like last season in the first half. All over them but a bit too pretty and powder puff. Yet only one team was playing football.

I thought Godfrey was so unlucky not to score even one of his efforts. And we could actually have found a CB player who is a real danger from corners. My MOTM and well played by Daniel Farke for keeping faith. I love this trust our manager has.

The last 20 minutes were ours. We could easily have had two and a penalty for handball. Vrancic again picked a beautiful ball. The man is class. Cantwell gave his usual harrying and energetic performance. Fair play to the lad.

Reed had a hamstring problem. We tired Blackburn out in the last 20. This was the strategy. And it worked a treat. Fair play to Blackburn's RB and LB. Seemed decent players.

The best team won. No question. And this team continues to delight. Top at Xmas? Yeah, I reckon.

Til, Krul did not have one real save to make the whole game. Must have been his easiest match this season weirdly. Look at the match stats. We out-passed them mostly.

Cheers LDC

Reed was MOM I believe. He really seemed to work hard, terrier style, I would have him back in a shot,we dont have a player like him in the squad. What do you recon based on his performance today? Would he fit in to our side?

Edited by Van wink

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Lol.  Krul was excellent 

Thanks LDC.

Very nerve racking watching on the wireless.

Hid under the bed for the last five minutes😁

Edited by ricardo
Mistake

11 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Til, Krul did not have one real save to make the whole game. Must have been his easiest match this season weirdly. Look at the match stats. We out-passed them mostly.

He made at least two saves in the first half, one straight at him, but another where he made an excellent save - and his handling was totally secure throughout. His assurance was imo very important today.

Edited by lake district canary

I liked Reed last season. But I don’t see how he’s get into our side atm. Would be a squad player.

11 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Cheers LDC

Reed was MOM I believe. He really seemed to work hard, terrier style, I would have him back in a shot,we dont have a player like him in the squad. What do you recon based on his performance today? Would he fit in to our side?

I thought he looked decent - and he has the necessary work ethic to do well in our team, but would he get in ahead of any of our players?  Probably not, which is a good measure of how we have moved on since last season.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I thought he looked decent - and he has the necessary work ethic to do well in our team, but would he get in ahead of any of our players?  Probably not, which is a good measure of how we have moved on since last season.

Yes, I couldnt see him being a regular starter thats for sure, I was just thinking there may be games, perhaps like the Bristol City one when perhaps a bit of steel is needed and he could provide that.

Thanks Lakey, really good to hear this. I’d have been there, except for being in NZ at the moment!

these sort of game when we’re on top but struggle to make the breakthrough are key. It’s no coincidence that promotion winning teams often get the goal towards the end.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks Lakey, really good to hear this. I’d have been there, except for being in NZ at the moment!

these sort of game when we’re on top but struggle to make the breakthrough are key. It’s no coincidence that promotion winning teams often get the goal towards the end.

I agree it is no coincidence and it was, on this occasion, deserved ICF. How great is a one nil away win! Most satisfying. And it will be my best Xmas present.

• Like 1

Thanks Lakey and Sonyc. How refreshing to have a younger generation of reporters coming through. Rickyyyy's ok for home games but the bike wouldn't get much further than Trowse.

Can't tell you how pleased I am that Farke stayed brave keeping faith with Godfrey and Cantwell. It sounds like the youngsters repaid him.

Young players and young reporters. The future is bright 💛💚🙃

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Thanks Lakey and Sonyc. How refreshing to have a younger generation of reporters coming through. Rickyyyy's ok for home games but the bike wouldn't get much further than Trowse.

Can't tell you how pleased I am that Farke stayed brave keeping faith with Godfrey and Cantwell. It sounds like the youngsters repaid him.

Young players and young reporters. The future is bright 💛💚🙃

You cant beat experience though👌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I don't get to many matches, but certainly enjoyed this one. Having been restricted to watching us on TV in one form or another since September, it was great to see the team - and fans - at a match again.   It was a cold afternoon and most of us were up in the top tier of the ground for some reason.....felt a bit like going to a Newcastle match....but it was a great view, made worthwhile by the fiesty and battling performance against at times what looked like a bunch of cloggers. 

The supporters made a big noise all through the match and although we were under the cosh a bit at the start of the second half, you always felt that we had the ability to make a strike on goal.  Stiepermann in particular could have scored another cracker, but for an athletic save from the Blackburn goalie, Zimmermann had a cracking header saved - but there were several other opportunities that just slipped away from several players.  We even had the ball in the net twice from Godfrey, who I thought had a very good match.

Pukki's goal was class - Vrancic through to Hernandez and across the face of the goal to Pukki, who convincingly put it away.  Good performances all over the pitch too, Krul made several good stops, Aarons caught the eye, as did Cantwell who really gets stuck in and was as quick and skilful as always. 

Given that we were forced into losing two important players to injury, we coped well with that second half onslaught and it felt to me like we would score at some point - we were so close on several occasions, but it was terrific to see that winning goal go in.  Key to the win imo, were the quality of the subs we could bring on in Vrancic and Hernandez - and just shows what a good quality squad we have.

Finally, a mention to Harrison Reed who was the pick of the Blackburn players, good to see him doing well - and a lovely moment again at the end of the match with DF coming over to the away end and orchestrating the fans in celebration. 

Good result and top of the league again.....long may that continue!

Good report 👍🏻 Merry Christmas Lakey 🎄🎅🏻

I'm just back myself (only a little later :--) I did not like the way Blackburn decided to foul every time we got dangerous and I wish Norwich would score a few in the first 5 mins rather than the last 5 ! Having wrote that, it was great going home Buzzzing 😀

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

You cant beat experience though👌

Haha, thanks NN.

And for sure, I wouldn't even begin to approach Ricardo's experience.

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Did anyone notice my tweet about our goal ? it was a full minute before anyone else tweeted it, even before the pinkun or Norwich sites

You can't claim a scoop if nobody notices it Swindon! 😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Some clown on the chat box beside the small brook I was watching, claimed that Blackburn equalised, fortunately Hogesar was also online and able to settle my nerves faith a firm  " no they haven't'. Spoilers are one thing, incorrect spoilers wreck my head. Why watch a match and have prior notice of what's about to unfold? Weirdos.