Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Football grounds Quiz

I'll post up the answers at 10pm, so please wail until then so others cm work out where they are

all, sadly, now gone

image.png.82240ec543a20d711aec11409f49ecd0.png

image.png.29d0fb7faebd79bd565b1425e91aefd1.png

image.png.41d18a5f858654832ab9032184a5a649.png

image.png.420a125a8bf7554993fbae28ade2866f.png

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Got Number 4. Lets just say their new ground was so good they named it twice. Think number 1 is the club that now has a stadium second only to Benfica's? No idea on number 3. Is 2 in the midlands?

steady now, mr cheesegrator

no clues as it spoils it

I think I can name all four. If I'm right about number 4, I saw City draw there 1-1 in a midweek game. The best part of the ground was the floodlight pylons!

googled it !

a curious by word to this is that when I was checking on family history I found in the 1881 census quite a few folk from Norfolk living in the Parkgate area of Rotherham, mostly from small villages

you will find the same 'clusters' near Burnley and other 'mill towns'

I expect that once or two had been recruited and moved there others followed

plus ca change

32 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I do my own family history,Ā  Born in Cornwall and can trace them back to the 13th century still in the same little village I was born in !

did they have records in the 1200's ?

here's something for you

Albert Auty - Lance Corporal in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Son of Sam and Rachel Auty of Mirfield, Yorkshire and husband of Eliza Annette Auty of St Keverne. He died on 17 July 1918 aged 50 at the Norfolk War Hospital at Thorpe St Andrew and was buried at St Keverne on 20 July 1918.

Service Number V/728258

Ā 

So what was a 50 year old man doing still in the army ?

Why was he in a hospital in Norwich ?

Who paid for his body to be taken all the way to Cornwall ?

14 hours ago, Bill said:

googled it !

a curious by word to this is that when I was checking on family history I found in the 1881 census quite a few folk from Norfolk living in the Parkgate area of Rotherham, mostly from small villages

you will find the same 'clusters' near Burnley and other 'mill towns'

I expect that once or two had been recruited and moved there others followed

plus ca change

Ā 

I live 2 minutes from Parkgate

or

" The majority of the statutory documents such as baptism, marriage and burial listings have been in the care of the Cornwall County Record Office since the early 1960's as have many other records of interest to family historians such as census returns, protestation returns and hearth tax listings. But we feel that all of these are of such fundamental interest that we must include them. "

Those that were kept in there are the very ones that were put on line...unless you imagine that Cornwall had the internet in 1528.

Perhaps you would care to tell us all what records you saw that dated back to the 1334, and where you saw them. As it seems odd that a small parish in Cornwall has the UK's oldest parish records by a hundred years or more.

(Parish registers were formally introduced in England on 5 September 1538)

4/4 šŸ™‚

In the mid-week match I referred to Nielson equalised for us in the 88th minute. It was a poor game but those floodlight pylons were magnificent.

2-2 if i remember correctly Crafty and i set off a speed camera on the A17 on the way home in the middle of nowhere.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

or

" The majority of the statutory documents such as baptism, marriage and burial listings have been in the care of the Cornwall County Record Office since the early 1960's as have many other records of interest to family historians such as census returns, protestation returns and hearth tax listings. But we feel that all of these are of such fundamental interest that we must include them. "

Those that were kept in there are the very ones that were put on line...unless you imagine that Cornwall had the internet in 1528.

Perhaps you would care to tell us all what records you saw that dated back to the 1334, and where you saw them. As it seems odd that a small parish in Cornwall has the UK's oldest parish records by a hundred years or more.

(Parish registers were formally introduced in England on 5 September 1538)

Before 1538, when parish registers began, births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials were not officially recorded, though some notes may have been kept by the priest.

However, many other records which contain genealogical information start well before 1538, and continue long after.

14 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I think I have all four - answers will be revealed when Bill?

err, yesterday

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

2-2 if i remember correctly Crafty and i set off a speed camera on the A17 on the way home in the middle of nowhere.

You are quite right Til. As I was writing my last post it came to me that it might have been 2-2. I cannot recall who scored our first however the away end was where our second one was scored.

10 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

You are quite right Til. As I was writing my last post it came to me that it might have been 2-2. I cannot recall who scored our first however the away end was where our second one was scored.

Yep it was scored in front of the City fans.

St Keverne is just down the road from me and I haven't seen the football stadium there? Michael AnĀ Gof who led the Cornish rebellion was from St Keverne. I don't think he played football.