Sign in to follow this  
daly

Norwich Man banned at Spurs

Spurs fan banned for attending football matches for 4 years after throwing a Banana skin at Arsenal player and fined £500 plus costs. Lot of hatred in the faces of many more. Just shows how times have changed in football over the years.

I do believe that younger people are far less racist than their parents or grandparents.

So many of the Tommy Robinson supporters I have witnessed at first hand were my age or certainly my generation. And most of us were never racist but made racist jokes using the term Rastus etc. We didn't put the two together to be honest. Of course we would be hammered now but we can't change the past or evolution.

But there was a hard core of people who were very racist from that era. And they will never change. But they will die out. Some of their offspring might keep the faith so to speak but they will be too few to be of any consequence.

I believe coloured and black people will have to be a bit more patient, hard as that might sound to them. I predict that in twenty years, apart from the real sickos, this will all be history.

Are there any outburst or chants at Carrow Road?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I do believe that younger people are far less racist than their parents or grandparents.

So many of the Tommy Robinson supporters I have witnessed at first hand were my age or certainly my generation. And most of us were never racist but made racist jokes using the term Rastus etc. We didn't put the two together to be honest. Of course we would be hammered now but we can't change the past or evolution.

But there was a hard core of people who were very racist from that era. And they will never change. But they will die out. Some of their offspring might keep the faith so to speak but they will be too few to be of any consequence.

I believe coloured and black people will have to be a bit more patient, hard as that might sound to them. I predict that in twenty years, apart from the real sickos, this will all be history.

Are there any outburst or chants at Carrow Road?

I've certainly not heard any for a long, long time KG . 

That is good news and shows it isn't an issue in very many areas of the country as well.

I hate to stereotype but after a golf match a few months ago we were dining with a Chelsea supporter. From the area originally. And nothing else mattered. Nobody else had a valid point and the rest of us were half baked monkeys who didn't know anything about football.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That is good news and shows it isn't an issue in very many areas of the country as well.

I encounter much more racism, sexism and homophobia in the course of a days work, (I work in the construction industry) which is a testimony to how NCFC and the wider football community have tackled racism, and are bringing other issues to the forefront .

Getting back to my original comment, the proponents of the said racism etc, are much more wary and generally will only spout their tosh in very small groups, but sometimes drop their guard if they believe the audience they are in are "safe", for want of a better word.

I have and do call people out on it, and rarely has this been met with much than a mutter of insincere apology, and the conversation will tail off into another subject. I agree that a whole lot this will die out with the most *senior couple of generations around now. And, may I add, not a moment to soon.

* Not for one minute do suggest that all of the older generation are racist, sexist or homophobic. 

They have been saying for years the older generation are more racist. Problem is they have all died off and been replaced by younger models equally as racist. You don't see it as much in English grounds as the cost of a ticket tends to weed out the less well educated shall we say. Certain parts of Europe seem more racist than ever. Can't see it ever changing.

Capt. Pants has this nailed.  Anyone who thinks racism is on the way out is deluded. Just because it isn't tolerated in football grounds doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Let me tell you that in Australia and in NZ where I live racism is alive and well. Eastern Europe has seen a rise of the right over the last decade or so. In Africa there are constant wars, coups and conflict's based purely on race. 

There is probably less racism at the football than down the local pub. If you round up 30,000 people you will get some racists sadly.

I suspect though that this has more to do with protecting the 'product' (football) than ever it has to do with irradicating racism from society

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

...he is 57 years old Keelans. no spring chicken either. A Cypriot as well...makes the mind boggle eh? 

Most teams from Sunday league to The Premiership have black and mixed race players, Spurs especially. I don't think the guy was being racist but angry at the Arsenal player milking it in front of the home crowd.

Stupid but probably no worse than the hatred the others around him showed

Motto if you have to throw something take a pair of your wife's knickers

If you're to believe the account of the guy who threw it, he says that there was a boy with his dad seated next to him who had eaten the banana earlier in the game and left it on the ground after he'd finished. So clearly he's not brought in a banana with malicious intent.

Then in the heat of the moment he just picked it up and threw it out of anger with no racial reasoning behind it.

The initial reports of the police who investigated it agreed that he didn't have a racial element involved in his action too.

Obviously throwing something at a player is bad in it's self because regardless of the object it can cause a hazard. So that part of this is clear but it still seems rather cruel to me that he can be publicly named, located and shamed by the power of the mass media because he's alleged to have a bias that he claims wasn't there and initial police reports agreed with.

Anyone remember a lighter being thrown against Reading back in Lambert's promotion year? Their left back who used to play for Leeds (mental block) taunted the crowd after committing a foul. 

9 hours ago, Renskay said:

If you're to believe the account of the guy who threw it, he says that there was a boy with his dad seated next to him who had eaten the banana earlier in the game and left it on the ground after he'd finished. So clearly he's not brought in a banana with malicious intent.

Then in the heat of the moment he just picked it up and threw it out of anger with no racial reasoning behind it.

The initial reports of the police who investigated it agreed that he didn't have a racial element involved in his action too.

Obviously throwing something at a player is bad in it's self because regardless of the object it can cause a hazard. So that part of this is clear but it still seems rather cruel to me that he can be publicly named, located and shamed by the power of the mass media because he's alleged to have a bias that he claims wasn't there and initial police reports agreed with.

it is about protecting the brand Premier League

seen to be doing the 'right thing' etc

10 hours ago, daly said:

That’s handy, most of us on here have got a pair of your wife’s knickers 😉

10 hours ago, daly said:

preferably without her in them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

That’s handy, most of us on here have got a pair of your wife’s knickers 😉

Now if you were talking about my ex wife I would probably agree with you

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I do remember someone throwing a pie onto the pitch at Carra......Woz they being fattist?......

Haha! Yes, I know this story well... No motivation other than booze and being annoyed at a player for celebrating right in front of the home fans.

Throwing a banana skin seems as though it may have been out of pure anger rather than being racially motivated. However, it is the connotations and memories from the past that caused such a furore. Which is completely justified in my opinion. There is no place for racism in society, let alone football.

Years ago the cushions from the then main stand would rain down onto the pitch if the ref or lineman made an iffy decision. I remember one game when one hit a lineman on the head.

They have been saying for years the older generation are more racist. Problem is they have all died off and been replaced by younger models equally as racist.

Whether I am not looking for it I don't know but I cannot remember the last time I heard or witnessed any racism. I live in Cornwall and the indigenous can be heard calling non Cornish as Emmets. Is that racism? To the nth degree possibly but hardly upsetting.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I believe in today's environment, many people see racism when there is none about.

Hmmm....

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

I had policemen call me a 'pommie git ' is that racist?

First day in Sydney for me. A ferryman as well, who's supposed to deal with tourists. Bloody ocker.😀

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I believe in today's environment, many people see racism when there is none about.

thankfully you have never been wrongfully accused of that, have you ?

Many things are being diluted by those who jump on the band wagon to claim hurt where the is no logic to support the claim.

The Equal Pay campaign for instance. Most people I know couldn't give two figs that Meryl Streep earns less than George Clooney in a movie or that the female CEO of a company earns less than a male counterpart. Even allowing for the premise that they are doing the same job or achieving the same result. Their earnings are so removed from reality that to expect support from those people holding the iceberg above the surface is stupid and egotistical.

Most men and women I know are on equal pay. It is called the minimum wage.

• Like 1