Sign in to follow this  
splendidrush

....it's started.

Crystal Palace are keeping tabs on Tammy Abraham, the Chelsea striker on loan at Villa, if there's anything in this Villa fans can kiss the play-offs goodbye. 

What Villa do in Jan will be very interesting. Will they be close enough to promotion to gamble? Or will they sell, sell, sell to avoid FFP penalties.

Abraham is still Chelsea's player, they can bring him back in January, if they decide to sell, it's out of Villa's hands. Given the choice of Prem football with Palace or a possible play-off with Villa, I wonder who he'd choose?

Wonder if we have anyone 'good enough' to be targeted by Prem clubs? 

I'm sure plenty of scouts have their eyes on Aarons, Lewis, Leitner, Buendia and Pukki, but I can't see anyone putting a bid in for them until the summer and even then it'll depend on what division we'll be playing in next season

Why Woodman? If you need one of the above players to fight against relegation, you'd have to make a bid in Jan wouldn't you?

If Norwich don't get promoted that suggests these players weren't good enough, if Norwich do get promotion they may be harder to recruit to another low position team already in the Premier League. The only one I think might fall into your category is Aarons as he's both English and a bit special for his age.

I'd be surprised if anyone went, unless someone wants Aarons for the future. Maybe a Saints, Leicester or West Ham beyond that I'd be very surprised. 

8 hours ago, Woodman said:

Wonder if we have anyone 'good enough' to be targeted by Prem clubs? 

I'm sure plenty of scouts have their eyes on Aarons, Lewis, Leitner, Buendia and Pukki, but I can't see anyone putting a bid in for them until the summer and even then it'll depend on what division we'll be playing in next season

I suspect we will get enquiries, but I agree that tempting bids are unlikely at this stage. I suspect none of those would go for less than £5-6m and I can't see that happening yet. Webber won't let anyone go when we are challenging unless he has a better, cheaper replacement lined up.

16 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I suspect we will get enquiries, but I agree that tempting bids are unlikely at this stage. I suspect none of those would go for less than £5-6m and I can't see that happening yet. Webber won't let anyone go when we are challenging unless he has a better, cheaper replacement lined up.

I wouldn't let any of those players go for around 5-6 million! Our progress as a club, and whether we can keep our best players, depends on whether or not we get to the Prem next season. This is why I don't understand those people who say,

"It would be better if we stayed in the Championship!"

They're probably the same people who say,

"We hint gort nooo ambishun"

Surely the whole point of being in the Championship for a side like us is to try and reach the summit??!

There have been Fulham scouts (or at least someone wearing a Fulham jacket making notes) at our last 3 or 4 home games, maybe he’s a Spurs scout who’s engaged in some subterfuge?

Not sure many of our players would see Fulham as a good long-term career move? We could swap places with them next season.

Also, surely discretion is a part of professional scouting - do you want to draw attention to your interest in a player? Or does everyone know everyone else so it's difficult to be incognito? If only we had someone with experience of the scouting world on this forum who could enlighten us....

Yes I don’t see Fulham’s as an attractive proposition at this stage, and we remarked on the rather obvious give away of the crest on his jacket, maybe it’s some kind of subterfuge?

I've come across quite a few scouts over the years, attending youth matches with a crowd of maybe 40, total. They generally stand out as most others would be familiar to someone there.A lot of the time the scout will stand on his own looking superior and knowledgeable, wearing a club issue 3/4  length coaches coat bearing the Club crest  and there are more than a few that love to let people know why they are there( as if the notebook doesn't give it away) . If you ask them whether they are scouts they should, if bona fide , be able to produce an   ID card. .....in Ireland anyway. They are fun to wind up as they take themselves very seriously.

On 18/12/2018 at 17:51, Surfer said:

Why Woodman? If you need one of the above players to fight against relegation, you'd have to make a bid in Jan wouldn't you?

If Norwich don't get promoted that suggests these players weren't good enough, if Norwich do get promotion they may be harder to recruit to another low position team already in the Premier League. The only one I think might fall into your category is Aarons as he's both English and a bit special for his age.

Which club did Maddison get promoted with last year? 

On 18/12/2018 at 20:04, splendidrush said:

I'd be surprised if anyone went, unless someone wants Aarons for the future. Maybe a Saints, Leicester or West Ham beyond that I'd be very surprised. 

Would agree. I’m not sure an “established” mid table prem side is likely to go in for many of our other players. And why would anyone want to go to a relegation scrapping side in January when we could be replacing them next year? 

If we don’t go up then I think a couple might be tempted by offers from lower prem sides in the summer but I’m not worried about January.