Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Flu

" Daniel Farke opted to keep his counsel before the match but disclosed afterwards Christoph Zimmermann, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia were all struggling with illness."

“I didn’t want to mention it before the game, but we also had four or five struggling with the flu,” he said. “Christoph did not sleep last night. We had Todd Cantwell, Emi Buendia, Max Aarons all a bit weak with the flu. I didn’t want to mention it because I don’t like to offer excuses."

Can't the club afford flu jabs?

I don't think it was flu, with it you could never play a game of football. It was probably a heavy cold, all my family have had it, luckily I missed it. 👍  

There are a multitude of viruses going around all falling roughly into the category of flu, some are , some are not actually influenza. Either way, they make the sufferer not100% . Hardly surprising that we saw a below par performance yesterday. Fair play to those that went out and did their best under those circumstances .  

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Some flu over the Farke's best........ perhaps

Many on here think you are cuckoo. 😜

And the flu jab does not make you immune to flu, it just lessens your chances of catching it

As a doctor I am often asked

"is it enough simply to give the elderly a flu jab to help them avoid the worst of the cold weather ?"

My thought is no

They need to wrap up well

Perhaps someone has a picture, as an example, of how the elderly in our community can wrap up to keep out the elements.

We've already got a doctor practicing on here so unless you've learnt to do it properly you'd be best having a go somewhere else...

I reckon the old timers like Daly, Rickyyy and Tilly have had the flu jab.

They offered it to me and Mrs KG but we don't think either of us have ever had flu in our ever increasing lives. We had the anti sepsis jab though as I had a septic finger when I was seven.

To be fair, I reckon DF was given the English definition of Flu which to an organised German is nothing more than a bad cold. Dow wadda min?

Flu is an over and mis-used term. Flu is what people say when they think 'cold' or 'virus' sound too wussy. They want it to seem that only a severe illness could take them down. It is exaggeration for a multitude of different reasons.

Problem with this is that it changes people's understanding of what something is. You see it with true depression not being understood because of the amount of people who say 'I'm depressed' when they're blue or a bit fed up.

This means many don't take it seriously, because they come to believe that colds and 'The Flu' are the same.

This means uptake of the Flu vaccine can be poor.

People are also surprised when they continue to get colds despite having the Flu jab (not realising the Flu jab only protects against Flu, if that depending on effectiveness of each year's vaccine)

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I reckon the old timers like Daly, Rickyyy and Tilly have had the flu jab.

They offered it to me and Mrs KG but we don't think either of us have ever had flu in our ever increasing lives. We had the anti sepsis jab though as I had a septic finger when I was seven.

To be fair, I reckon DF was given the English definition of Flu which to an organised German is nothing more than a bad cold. Dow wadda min?

You should have your Flu jab (apologies for linking to the Guardian)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/18/flu-outbreak-gps-under-huge-pressure-as-deaths-soar-to-120

Two or three years back a senior player looked to my missus to care for his health (my missus is a natural health practitionor). One Friday evening we received a call saying he was going down with flu and could she help, she did, and the next day he played and was selected as man of the match. On talking to him in the Gunn Club he told me all symptoms had disappeared by morning. A few months later I received a call from said player within 2 minutes of the final whistle, telling me the club doctors were waiting in the dressing room to give all players the flu jab (the following week was international week and they know there can be side effects, therefore allowing two weeks to recover, **** those playing internationals). I was asked what my wife would suggest, I told him she would say go nowhere near it because he knew how to treat himself naturally. He declined the jab, apparently the docs were not happy. 6 weeks later flu went through the camp, pretty much the only player unaffected was said player. The moral of the story, natural prevention is better than cure, something our grandmothers used to advocate before the introduction of the NHS, which to be clear I think is a wonderful thing but can lead to a lack of personal responsibility for taking care of our own health for 'minor' ailments.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Two or three years back a senior player looked to my missus to care for his health (my missus is a natural health practitionor). One Friday evening we received a call saying he was going down with flu and could she help, she did, and the next day he played and was selected as man of the match. On talking to him in the Gunn Club he told me all symptoms had disappeared by morning. A few months later I received a call from said player within 2 minutes of the final whistle, telling me the club doctors were waiting in the dressing room to give all players the flu jab (the following week was international week and they know there can be side effects, therefore allowing two weeks to recover, **** those playing internationals). I was asked what my wife would suggest, I told him she would say go nowhere near it because he knew how to treat himself naturally. He declined the jab, apparently the docs were not happy. 6 weeks later flu went through the camp, pretty much the only player unaffected was said player. The moral of the story, natural prevention is better than cure, something our grandmothers used to advocate before the introduction of the NHS, which to be clear I think is a wonderful thing but can lead to a lack of personal responsibility for taking care of our own health for 'minor' ailments.

Utterly without merit. Just stupid.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Amazing. All these millions of pounds spent on scientifically tried and tested vaccines with trials proving that they reduce deaths in vulnerable groups could be saved. Just like that. Why ever isn't it universally accepted?

• Like 1

Hairy, I give up, I can't answer your question, may be because pharma is big business and low cost remedies don't suit them? I'm not saying they don't have their place just that there other options as the example I gave testifies to. I have known my wife for over 20 years and only ever had 2 minor colds in that period, maybe I'm just lucky? My wife started to research natural remedies when she became  very, very ill and the doctors couldn't help, that was 20 years ago.

I work in clinical research, the standard quadrivalent flu jab covers the 4 strains of influenza that WHO (World Health Organisation) predict will be prevalent in the northern hemisphere for the winter season.  This year for the 2018/19 flu season they are:

A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016 (H3N2)-like virus;
B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria/2/87 lineage);
B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage)

The vaccine will have very little success against any other strain of the virus.

There is then the level of immune response that must be show in the clinical trails.  In the main vaccination population of the over 65s, the immune response only needs to be 30% for seroconversion (a four-fold increase in antibody) for the vaccine to be deemed successful.  So whilst there is no doubt the vaccine does offer some protection, in reality the vaccine alone isn't anywhere close to guaranteeing a flu free winter.

• Like 1