Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Interesting Pundit Opinion ...

I can understand the argument that we want English players in the Prem to improve the English national side - personally I'd rather have the best players from all over the World and the national side doesn't matter so much to me, but each to their own.

But English managers ?  So what ?  I have no problem recruiting the best manager we can get for the national side, English or not.  It's worked fine in other sports and pretty well in the past, although we should have stuck with Capello longer IMO.  But what is the benefit of having more English managers in the top flight - what on earth does it achieve ?  Aside from the football not being as good, assuming recruitment is of the best international managers (which I think is pretty much the case given how quickly managers are sacked when they fail).

Its a great shame that people like this make a living out of the media. I sometimes listen to TalkSport - and nearly always wish I hadn't. I'd go for Classic FM folks. Farke has played more young English players than most managers this year is my guess. We started with 4 on Saturday.   

• Like 2

Don’t bite. Their drivel (and the people aiding and abetting them by actually phoning in at however many pennies a minute), just fills in the gaps between sports news that go with the territory in a 24/7 schedule.

What a d*ck, don't remember this argument last year when Wolves ran away with the title. Interestingly, he's not criticizing Chelsea or Man C  for not having an English coach. As someone mentioned, don't bite, he's stirring, trying to get a reaction. 

Reminds me of when Ray Wilkins criticised us for hiring Farke instead of a British manager when his club (Chelsea) haven't had a permanent British manager since the early 90s :classic_wacko:

It's all very well having an English manager, but how many PL/Champs clubs have English (or British) owners these days?

Perhaps this Moose chap should be reminded that it wasn't that long ago that Norwich were being praised for fielding more English players than any other team at that point in the PREMIERSHIP.

We also had a British manager. Did it work? For a little while, yes. But then it went downhill. He also fails to point out that a number of proven British players are ridiculously expensive and I imagine that goes for the managers too. Can't see Lampard on pi$$ all next to nothing, for example.

Anyway, as has been said, this fellow has very little idea about what we've been through as a club and the need to cut expenses. The general feeling among others in this league often seems to be that we have loads of money. As we all know, it's not true, and we've built our team by bringing young, british players through with some astute buys from overseas.

Edited by BobLoz3

The guy is an horrendous broadcaster, Talksport's equivalent of a Tudor court fool. I believe he is a West Ham fanatic: a club once the backbone of English talent but now somewhat multi national.

Maybe apply the same logic to his own club?

Regardless, when British Managers modernise themselves and are willing too adjust to different footballing structures then maybe theyll be considered for jobs in progressive clubs.

Its hardly Farkes fault that he is outperforming British Managers with bigger budgets and more experience. 

Maybe the right approach would be for British talent to get experience aboard. Perhaps by spending time playing in a foreign league, Germany possibly? They could then return to England to manage clubs who would benefit from that combination of British and continental ideas.

Seems to be going well at Ip5w1ch. 😂

• Haha 1

Really surprised at the Pink Un for giving this attention-seeking nonsense publicity on the football news page. It’s not so much that it promotes a rival medium (I couldn’t care less if this person's paymasters get even richer or disappear in a belch), it’s more a case of preferring to see standards of content maintained here.

Comments just designed to cause a reaction and get people to call in. 

interesting comments though as i'm not aware of him criticising the nationality of either managers or players at any major clubs, perhaps he thinks he can get away with xenophobia when its toward managers of teams not in the top flight.

This reminds me of when Ray Wilkins said it was a shame Farke got the job over the likes of Giggs. As if it is the duty of clubs like ours to test the manager credentials of other clubs great players to see if they'd make it. No thanks. 

35 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

This reminds me of when Ray Wilkins said it was a shame Farke got the job over the likes of Giggs. As if it is the duty of clubs like ours to test the manager credentials of other clubs great players to see if they'd make it. No thanks. 

Plus I would expect Giggs would expect a substantially higher salary than Farke, despite his lack of experience, and assurances about budget for players.

It's all garbage designed to provoke debate, nothing to see here. Could equally do one where it's a travesty that Ipswich may drop to league one that is a tragedy against their glorious history, mehhhhh