Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Bolton

It was bright and breezy when I got up this morning but by lunchtime the sky was completely overcast with more than a hint of rain in the air. I left home expecting to see an unchanged side but apparently Tim Klose broke down in the warm up and Godfrey had to step in at the last minute.

City began confidently enough with the lions share of possession and almost broke through for an early goal only to see Stiepermann's hard, low cross blocked away on the six yard line where Pukki, was lurking.The visitors eventually got a touch of the ball and the City defence seemed very uncertain when a Bolton man found space twenty-five yards out and let fly with a low shot. Krul, had to go full length to his right to keep it out before City eventually got it away. The absence of Klose, was again felt moments later when Ameobi, had all the time in the world to set up Buckley, who thankfully drilled his effort a yard wide. It now began to lash down with rain.

We were in to 18th minute before City finally began to look dangerous as Stiepermann, barged through two tackles and into the penalty area. The goal seemed to open up for him and I was out of my seat as his well struck shot appeared goal bound only for  Alnwick, to produce a fine stop to his left. The ball ran free for the in rushing Aaron's but a Bolton defender deflected it for a corner with a last ditch block.

With Buendia, running things in midfield City began to up the pressure and should have gone in front when Tetty managed to head a ball right back across goal from about three yards out. Bolton began to rack up a few fouls as City continued to press and Ameobi was guilty of a crude foul on Cantwell after he has lost out in a shoulder to shoulder duel with Lewis. Vrancic and Cantwell both had opportunities as City buzzed around the edge of the Bolton box but curled shots were a foot or so to high and wide..

Six  minutes from the break I was bemoaning our inability to score first half goals when City surged forward again. Somehow Buendia, conjured a wonderful pass out to the right while off balance. The ball came in to  Vrancic, a yard outside the area and his low shot was so well struck that Anlwick barely moved before it struck the back of the net. It could have been more but when the whistle went for the break it was nice not to have to worry about getting back in the game.

From the off the home side began to take control  and the pass count bagan to rack up as Bolton barely got a look in. A couple of corners and a free kick caused regular panic in the visitors box as several efforts were blocked away. Bolton held on gamely but Stiepermann and then Tetty, harried defenders into mistakes and when Lewis's pass found Vrancic, in the box a quick pass put Stiepermann, in the clear to whip the ball past Alnwick for what looked like being game set and match.

We should have known it wouldn't be that easy because within four minutes Bolton had a goal back when a high ball into the area ballooned back into the path of Ameobi, who couldn't miss from six yards. Most annoying and the crowd got even more frustrated when dallying in our own area almost cost a second goal.

City still looked like they had it well in hand and Stiepermann almost restored the balance when the ball was worked across from the left and a shot flashed a foot wide of Alnwick's left post. Then Pukki, had a golden chance when Vrancic's flighted ball put him clean through. The split second delay in pulling the trigger mad all the difference as a lunging defender blocked the ball away.

Bolton desperately flung high balls into the City area as time ran down and Krul made a couple of neat catches to calm the nerves. Hernandez, came on for Buendia, and Rhodes, came on for Stiepermann, as City tried to see time out. Then with three minutes left the Bolton big men won another ball in the area and although Krul blocked almost on the line, City couldn't clear as  Beevers, found space at the back post to belt the equaliser in from close range.

Hugely disappointing but you could see it coming with that rain of high balls and the absence of Tim Klose. As we moved into time added Ameobi, was rightly given a second yellow for dragging Cantwell, back. He took an age to wander off, but when the kick was taken City somehow worked it down the Bolton right where Cantwell, crossed. Rhodes made a nuisance of himself as the ball dropped to Pukki, who hammered it low past a startled Alnwick, and sent the City faithful into raptures. It was incredible, strangers embraced on the stairs in a carbon copy of the Millwall game a few weeks back. Oh dear, my poor old ticker won't stand much more of this.😀

Vrancic my MOM, We missed Tim's ability in the air ,but I thought Godfrey played well, indeed you couldn't really fault anyone. This could easily have been a slip up, thankfully it wasn't. As we walked out my son said it reminds you of that Lambert season when we always seemed to pull it out of the fire at the death. Long may it continue but it would be nice to have a comfortable win for a change. Even the rain had stopped.😀                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Edited by ricardo
missed letter
  • Like 6

Tight call for MoM as you say. Between Vrancic and Stiepermann for me. They both bossed the midfield but Stiepermann a constant threat, could’ve had a couple and just love his strength coupled with a surprising amount of skill on the ball. Wonderful finish for his goal. 

Edited by Fiery Zac

Very impressed with Cantwell again today, the power in some of his runs through midfield, riding tackles but keeping going rather than taking the easy option of going down, great strength and yet another plus point to his overall game.

Quick shout out for Gary O'Neil, nice to see him get a warm reception when he was warming up and when he came on, he did make a difference to their midfiled, added a bit of extra bite.

Anyone notice the confrontation between Tim Krul and Christoph Zimmermann thought it was going to be second round of the Bowyer vs Dyer fight towards the end of the match

Thank you Ricardo. It's games like this that over 50 years of watching games in a season that you feel you know you're watching a club that is going up. It's these last minute goals that shows determination, technique and spirit wouldn't you agree? 

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thank you Ricardo. It's games like this that over 50 years of watching games in a season that you feel you know you're watching a club that is going up. It's these last minute goals that shows determination, technique and spirit wouldn't you agree? 

yes, thats how it looks to me.

• Like 1

Funny how you see things, I actually thought Vrancic was pretty poor today. Lost possession a good few times and failed to really impose himself on the midfield. He scored and played the key pass that led to goal two (don't know about number three, it's all a bit of a blur and I haven't seen the replays yet) but I think his all-round performance was better last week. Definitely straight back to the bench when Leitner is fully-fit (though I don't think there is a midfielder outside the Prem, and many in it, who could keep him out of a side at the moment).

I also think Pukki had his worse game for us in months, certainly his worst game since he started playing striker. Reminded me of his Celtic days.

Buendia was head and shoulders above everyone for me, MoM by a country mile and then some. What a player we have there.

1 hour ago, Yellowfuture said:

Very impressed with Cantwell again today, the power in some of his runs through midfield, riding tackles but keeping going rather than taking the easy option of going down, great strength and yet another plus point to his overall game.

Quick shout out for Gary O'Neil, nice to see him get a warm reception when he was warming up and when he came on, he did make a difference to their midfiled, added a bit of extra bite.

Not to pick holes. I thought Cantwell should have stopped the cross for the equalising goal. As class as he is, he does need to work on his defensive game I feel.

I only mention it as I’ve seen him fall short a few times now in defensive postions, in particular tracking back effectively. 

If played centrally behind the striker it doesn’t matter so much. A postion I feel he’ll eventually occupy. But In the wider role he needs to support the fullback when required. 

18 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Funny how you see things, I actually thought Vrancic was pretty poor today. Lost possession a good few times and failed to really impose himself on the midfield. He scored and played the key pass that led to goal two (don't know about number three, it's all a bit of a blur and I haven't seen the replays yet) but I think his all-round performance was better last week. Definitely straight back to the bench when Leitner is fully-fit (though I don't think there is a midfielder outside the Prem, and many in it, who could keep him out of a side at the moment).

I also think Pukki had his worse game for us in months, certainly his worst game since he started playing striker. Reminded me of his Celtic days.

Buendia was head and shoulders above everyone for me, MoM by a country mile and then some. What a player we have there.

I thought he was brilliant first half but faded second half. Goal and assist for Mario did it for me.😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

(Snip)

(Snip)

Are you telling us you regularly watched Celtic when Pukki played for them? And specifically remember his performances? 🤔

Thanks Ricardo,  same here Vrancic Mom, he was really good today and showed what he can bring the side. I was impressed with our mental toughness again...our coach is doing a hell of a good job there #otbc

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Yes, that's what it feels like...I've only had 35 years of experience...but it looks like it may happen this season 

1 hour ago, daly said:

Anyone notice the confrontation between Tim Krul and Christoph Zimmermann thought it was going to be second round of the Bowyer vs Dyer fight towards the end of the match

Yes. Weird, wasn't it? That was straight after Pukki's goal. Those two did a similar thing after Stiepermann scored too, only not quite as vociferously.

I can only assume they were trying to psych each other up. Frankly, I thought everyone needed to calm down and focus. But whatever works for them I suppose.

Godfrey played well on his first start.  However Zimm had a few minutes of madness tried pass back to Krul which went yards wide and proceeded to look uncomfortable for 15 minutes. maybe missing Timm but needs to concentrate.

All defence went missing for the equaliser not just defence everyone.  Should have put game to bed at 2-0.

Two away games then the Christmas rush. We need tighter performances and at least three clean sheets to be top come 2019.

16 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Two away games then the Christmas rush. We need tighter performances and at least three clean sheets to be top come 2019.

I’m inclined to agree. 

I think with Hanley, Klose, Leitner and Hernandez back in, we will be tighter and dare I say it, even better. 

Certainly against the top 8 sides, these players will be important. 

10 hours ago, Otis62 said:

Do we need to add some height to our defence during the Jan transfer window ?

Cannot afford to have both Klose and Hanley missing for long.

I felt that once again we started slowly, loads of possession with no threat at goal. In the first quarter of a hour they had two chances whilst we had none. It's happened on several occasions, over the last few matches. We really must start on the front foot and push for an earlier goal. Though It's exciting leaving it late !    

21 hours ago, daly said:

No but someone else mentioned this to me...was this after our winner? No idea what happened.

Thanks Ricardo.

It's harsh on Godfrey, who played well but we need Klose's dominance in the air.

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you telling us you regularly watched Celtic when Pukki played for them? And specifically remember his performances? 🤔

Yes. That's exactly what I'm telling you. Well done.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes. That's exactly what I'm telling you. Well done.

Ok, fair enough, if a little unusual for a Norwich fan.

Although if he scores and it's a bad game, what can we expect when he's playing well?

I might be in the minority with this but Im reluctant to see Hanley back in. He's a great defender at this level but his absence coincided with a continuing upturn and I think it isn't by accident. He isnt as comfortable on the ball as Timm + Zim which means he tends to clear long under pressure, which neither Rhodes nor Pukki is suited to and invites a lot more pressure on our defence. 

Luckily one of the best things about Norwich City right now is that I absolutely cant wait, and absolutely expect, to be proven wrong.

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I might be in the minority with this but Im reluctant to see Hanley back in. He's a great defender at this level but his absence coincided with a continuing upturn and I think it isn't by accident. He isnt as comfortable on the ball as Timm + Zim which means he tends to clear long under pressure, which neither Rhodes nor Pukki is suited to and invites a lot more pressure on our defence. 

Luckily one of the best things about Norwich City right now is that I absolutely cant wait, and absolutely expect, to be proven wrong.

We could have done with him on saturday.  Bolton's physical presence was a big problem in the closing minutes.

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I might be in the minority with this but Im reluctant to see Hanley back in. He's a great defender at this level but his absence coincided with a continuing upturn and I think it isn't by accident. He isnt as comfortable on the ball as Timm + Zim which means he tends to clear long under press8ure, which neither Rhodes nor Pukki is suited to and invites a lot more pressure on our defence. 

I tend to agree with you,  Zimmermann and Klose are more comfortable on the ball,  yet in the Championship we need a player like Hanley, who's strong defensively and  can deal with the aerial threat. I hope he's back soon for the Christmas rush! This squad in general is showing they have what it takes, Godfrey showed that with his performance on Saturday imo, yet with someone like Hanley in the side, I don't think they would've scored the equaliser...

Edited by ROBFLECK

Interesting choice for Farke then for Bristol City if Klose remains a doubt, now that Hanley is fit. 

Good report again, thank you.  I thought Godfrey did well for 80 minutes - he's quicker than Klose, but I think we missed having a left footed CB.  Of course, had we been able to have Hanley (who I saw in the car park at 2.40 as I arrived at the game) on the bench instead of an injured Klose, he would have been very useful for the last 15 minutes.  Klose seemed to be carrying quite a limp when he came out onto the pitch at the end, so I wouldn't be surprised if he misses the Bristol game.

Time for the squad to be tested - Hanley, Marshall, McLean, Leitner hopefully all available to play next weekend.  Thompson, Pinto and even Jarvis must also be nearly there.