Sign in to follow this  
daly

7th January 1950 NCFC vrs Portsmouth

1 hour ago, daly said:

Remember Tommy Johnstone  with a nose that looked like he had either got wrong with his wife or Ginger Sadd also a center forward named Oscar Hold who was my Dad's double and by all accounts and  worth a pint  when my Dad went out drinking

I'm far too young to have seen these players play Daly. But I got to research them for SOTB and Tom's goal scoring stats are phenomenal..

Tom Johnston.pdf

2 hours ago, daly said:

Remember Tommy Johnstone  with a nose that looked like he had either got wrong with his wife or Ginger Sadd also a center forward named Oscar Hold who was my Dad's double and by all accounts and  worth a pint  when my Dad went out drinking

Is that all you can remember about Tommy Daly, his nose?

Ginger Sadd

Remember him as a bouncer down at the Industrial Club. Over 250 fights and beat some good uns in his day, Tommy Farr, Freddie Mills but could never beat the top ones like Turpin and McAvoy. Nice old boy.

Norwich has a history of some good boxers.

Yes We're getting off subject, Ginger Sadd was my Grannies cousin and remember my Grandad taking me to the Corn Hall  ( I believe Jarrolds took part of the site when it was demolished in the 60's) to see him fight. Not sure if he used to fight at the Cattle Market fair where pro fighters would take on anyone from the crowd.

Those were the days

PS Another piece of useless information The River Cockey ran under the old Corn Hall  and ran into The River  Wensum

Edited by daly

Nice article in EEN by David Freezer regarding  1950 FA Cup game

Pity he did not get the team names correct Lewis Bill  correct name Bill Lewis big mistake considering Bill spent his last years working for the EEN

Also Church was always known as Johnny Church

Interesting also Ron Ashman centre forward who went on to become Captain and our regular left back

Still a good article

Interesting also Ron Ashman centre forward who went on to become Captain and our regular left back

And manager

Saw Bill Lewis  playing on Earlham Park for a local team in the 60's.

43129  the day I stood in The Enclosure in Jan 1950, Saturdays game  a respectable half that amount.

I think the  1950 side Portsmouth would have seen off both of tonight's  teams