Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

Uh-oh...Soton sack Hughes

What a surprise. The manager who has done very little yet has always had a nice job.

With his luck, I expect he could be Real's next choice.

Farke is already at a club that has to sell its best players and why, apart from increased salary, would he want to go to a team on the slide.

Well I suppose it frees up a tried and tested candidate to be suggested for any job that becomes available...:classic_rolleyes:

Apples

If Southampton are sensible they will bring in their new DoF before they pick a manager. They probably won’t be as their new owners are rapidly undoing all the good work of the past. 

They are rapidly heading the route of Sunderland of bringing in firefighters, then sacking them and then looking for another one. 

Can see them going for ‘a safe pair of hands’ a la Big Sam and completely selling out on their previous philosophy. A sad state of affairs really. 

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Southampton are sensible they will bring in their new DoF before they pick a manager. They probably won’t be as their new owners are rapidly undoing all the good work of the past. 

They are rapidly heading the route of Sunderland of bringing in firefighters, then sacking them and then looking for another one. 

Can see them going for ‘a safe pair of hands’ a la Big Sam and completely selling out on their previous philosophy. A sad state of affairs really. 

Yes. This is a very strong example of selling out to good rich owners only to find that when they leave you end up with worse ones.  What can seem so exciting and desireable at first can lead to something much worse in a very short time.  Southampton were held up as a shining light as to how you can find good super-rich owners......not any more.

As we've witnessed with Farke, he's a man who needs time to stamp his style on a playing squad. Let's be honest, we put up with over 12 months of mostly dross before his formula has started to bear fruit. Those teams around or in the Premier League relegation zone are going to be wanting instant results. It's for that reason I don't think we need to worry about him being snaffled by a lower Premier League team. It'd be too much of a risk for them. He'd be a better appointment for a mid-table side looking to push up the league and compete for European qualification, like a Watford, Leicester, Everton type club. And I don't think he's done enough to warrant the sort of admiration outside of Norfolk that would get him an appointment like that.

I hope I don't end up with egg on my face but I think we need to worry.

• Like 1

Mark Hughes has a very poor record as a manager but always gets another job,like quite a few other people on the manager merry-go round.Perhaps he should try his luck in Scotland like Rodgers who I see has won another trophy whilst under so much pressure 😉

The last 18 months have seen a plan come to fruition, with the appointment of Webber and Farke, and three transfer windows to get the players in place to play the way intended from the start. I would hope that both Webber and Farke would want to see this season through to the end, and if we get promoted I would hope that they would relish the task of keeping us up for the next season.

I cannot envisage a scenario whereby we would ever consider appointing Hughes, who has to be one of the least successful and most profligate managers in Premiership History.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

As we've witnessed with Farke, he's a man who needs time to stamp his style on a playing squad. Let's be honest, we put up with over 12 months of mostly dross before his formula has started to bear fruit. Those teams around or in the Premier League relegation zone are going to be wanting instant results. It's for that reason I don't think we need to worry about him being snaffled by a lower Premier League team. It'd be too much of a risk for them. He'd be a better appointment for a mid-table side looking to push up the league and compete for European qualification, like a Watford, Leicester, Everton type club. And I don't think he's done enough to warrant the sort of admiration outside of Norfolk that would get him an appointment like that.

I hope I don't end up with egg on my face but I think we need to worry.

This

(although I can’t deny I’m a bit worr:classic_sleep:)ied 

So many of these Managers on the money go round. Most have been bang average for years yet somehow always manage to find a gig at a Club. Of course none of those Clubs win anything and the supporters suffer year on year,  you can list these Clubs who eventually end up relegated, broke or both. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes. This is a very strong example of selling out to good rich owners only to find that when they leave you end up with worse ones.  What can seem so exciting and desireable at first can lead to something much worse in a very short time.  Southampton were held up as a shining light as to how you can find good super-rich owners......not any more.

I don’t think anyone was holding Southampton’s new owners as a ‘shining light’. Liebherr was a great example of a mega-rich overseas owner and he propelled Southampton up the leagues with cash injections (£1m for Lambert in League One being the start). However, he did the indecent thing of dying. 

His daughter took over and never really has much interest in the club so sold it on for an estimated £150m profit. The new owners haven’t made any significant investment and have sacked the people who ran the club.

I think that’s what LDC is saying really

certainly the original guy who’d bought Soton was held up as a great example and after he died, there was lavish praise for his daughter early for sticking with them, shame she then cashed in.

Problem for us is that we’re not immune . I appreciate the arrangement with nephew Tom but it still leaves us very much subject to the whims of an individual. Ideally id prefer to have some long  term model to ensure the club can’t be sold out down the line.

• Like 1

Farke is not what they will be after. Theirs is a need to stay in the PL.

Farke is part of a long term plan for the club that involves identifying and developing low cost players. Also he is part of a wider structure whereby you cannot simply remove one part and guarantee instant success.

Edited by Bill

Has to be Redknapp

He'll soon get them moving upwards....

.....in the debt table

Moyes is another one a bit like Lambert. He was a good fit at Everton, Lambert was a good fit at Norwich. Both left for "better" jobs and neither have really done anything noteworthy since.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t think anyone was holding Southampton’s new owners as a ‘shining light’. Liebherr was a great example of a mega-rich overseas owner and he propelled Southampton up the leagues with cash injections (£1m for Lambert in League One being the start). However, he did the indecent thing of dying. 

His daughter took over and never really has much interest in the club so sold it on for an estimated £150m profit. The new owners haven’t made any significant investment and have sacked the people who ran the club.

Having picked up Southampton for a song, Liebherr made £150 million profit from the deal - perhaps the Goa family felt that the reported £210 million they paid for the 80% of the  club was enough of an investment?

Transfermarket says that they spent £56million in the summer and recovered only £10 million in sales, so tbf they seem to have "invested" but it's the same old problem we see so often with sales of premier league clubs clubs to new "investor" owners.

This post has got my paranoia going.

maybe Webber is ‘comfortable’ with Farke’s contract situation because he knows when he moves he can just take Farke with him!!

sure the board won’t be that stupid but I really wish we had Farke all signed up so worst case scenario we get some decent compensation to fund a new manager!

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

Having picked up Southampton for a song, Liebherr made £150 million profit from the deal - perhaps the Goa family felt that the reported £210 million they paid for the 80% of the  club was enough of an investment?

Transfermarket says that they spent £56million in the summer and recovered only £10 million in sales, so tbf they seem to have "invested" but it's the same old problem we see so often with sales of premier league clubs clubs to new "investor" owners.

They sold Van Dijk for £76m the January beforehand...