Sign in to follow this  
king of latvia

george best

Yes very sad news indeed.

Unfortunatly I am too young to have been blessed with seeing him on a football field but you dont need to know much about football knows he was as good as they get.

Rest in peace George.

It really is very sad. Just watching the footage on sky news, the guy was a genius. Up there without doubt with the true greats like Pele and Maradona.

He said on his death bed that he hopes he is remembered for his football, I sincerely hope thats the case. The thing that struck me by all the quotes is something that Matt Busby had said about George Best. I could play him in any position and he would be the best in the club. If he was in defence he would be the best tackler, in midfield the best passer, and upfront the best scorer.

George Best, Genius and now you can rest.

God bless

I too am too young to remember him but my dad and esp my grandad have told me nobody compares to him!!! I am lucky enough to have his dvds and read his two books i reccommend them to you all......he was the greatest ever!!

R.I.P. George- "i spent alot of money on women,cars and booze......the rest i squandered!! Priceless.  

Although I am around the same age as George, I never saw him play in the flesh but I remember watching him on TV - he was a revelation.

As far as I can recall/investigate, George never graced Carrow Road as during his time, Man Utd were flying high in the First Division and City were at best mid table in the Second Division (nothing new there then)

I think the only time City played against Best was in the FA Cup in 1967.

It was the 4th Round at Old Trafford and really City went there without a prayer.

The United line up was - Stepney, Dunne, Noble, Crerand, Sadler, Stiles, Ryan, Law, Charlton, Herd, Best - there were no substitues in those days.

Miraciously City won 2-1 - goals from Bolland and Heath with one in reply from Law.

I think the game was on Match of the Day and I beieve it''s on the "Norwich on Match of Day" video - I''ve got a copy somewhere so I''ll check.

The City team was - Keelan, Stringer, Mullet, Lucas, Brown, Allcock, Kenning, Heath, Bryceland, Bolland, Anderson.

The attendance was 63.405 and receipts totalled £17,372 (an average of just 27 pence per ticket)

RIP.