Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Mo & Onel out for Satdee

Rotherham play the long ball game I think, and I'm expecting them to park the bus.  So for me definitely Vrancic and Stiep playing in midfield with Tettey as DM.  on the left I'd go for Cantwell if Onel is out, he has the creativity to help open up a packed defence.

another really good measure of how far we have come, the sort of game we struggled with last season.

Also I hope in training they've been focusing on making sure at set pieces there isn't a man over unmarked for the attackers at the far post (see the first goal conceded to Millwall).

Rotherham also have giant in their side not sure where he plays or name but looks useful in set pieces.  Fortunately we look less accident prone than previous seasons.

13 minutes ago, pete said:

Rotherham also have giant in their side not sure where he plays or name but looks useful in set pieces.  Fortunately we look less accident prone than previous seasons.

He must be this week's MAJOR threat in our opponent's side then......whoever he may be 🤔

This is why Stiepermann is important to us at the moment.  One (very minor) thing we do lack is height in our midfield.

Would like to see Vrancic start but think Farke will go with Trybull. Did ok on tues and won’t do him any good to be dropped after one game. If Mo will be out for a little while (or anyone for that matter) those replacing deserve a run in the team. It’s unfair to judge and drop Trybull after one game that was in difficult conditions against a team doing everything for a 0-0.

Cantwell in for Onel. A better choice imo anyway as will be little room for Onel for run into if Rotherham park the bus as expected.

These injuries are incredibly frustrating. Two big players out, and very hard to replace. 

I do wonder sometimes as to the actual severity of some injuries in modern football.

I’m not suggesting the club, or any other for that matter, over exaggerates injuries, clearly that would be ludicrous. But with so much technology available to carry out quick, non invasive scans and exploratory work, perhaps the infinite level of detail can sometimes be misleading? Or rather present apparent problems that in reality are negligible to the player or his performance? 

It certainly wasn’t like this 10-15 years ago. I remember Worthington literally putting the same 11 out near enough week in, week out, during our play off final campaign in 2002. 

Anyway, I think it’ll be Cantwell and Trybull to start tomorrow. I’d like Vrancic to play, but his postion is the 10 role, which Steipermann currently occupies. Can’t see him playing wide or in the CDM role. 

Without Leitner and Hernandez, it could be a war of attrition tomorrow. OTBC. 

Edited by Il Pirata

3 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

his postion is the 10 role

Disagree. Think he’s been much more effective when playing deeper, with the play in front of him and showing his vision and passing ability. Not as good as Stiepermann at running with the ball, needs time on the ball to get his head up and pass. I think he’s more of a direct replacement for Leitner than anyone

I think he works well in the ten position. Look at his recent contributions from the bench and at Bournemouth in the cup. He takes the ball from the CDM, and plays killer passes for the striker and wider players to run onto. 

Last season in the CDM role he struggled. His ability for a defence splitting pass is wasted in a deep position, and can often result in a turnover of possession. Leitner's passing in the CDM role is different. It's quick and accurate, looking to pass to feet. He moves across the field and is nearly always available to take the ball off the back four and turn without getting caught in possession. Something Vrancic can be guilty of due to a lack of speed. 

For me Vrancic needs to be in an advanced position to be most effective. But he needs good service, something Leitner gives. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Vrancic has played most of his career as an 8 not a 10. 

In Norwich’s current system Stipermann almost plays as a secondary striker and pushes up really high allowing Pukki to run the channels. 

I think Mario would be good alongside Tettey, but Trybull will get the nod tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Disagree. Think he’s been much more effective when playing deeper, with the play in front of him and showing his vision and passing ability. Not as good as Stiepermann at running with the ball, needs time on the ball to get his head up and pass. I think he’s more of a direct replacement for Leitner than anyone

Like Trybull, Vrancic is a direct replacement for Leitner only for certain elements of Leitner's game. Yes, he's best with the play in front of him, but he doesn't contribute to anything like the same extent to build up play from deeper (where I think Trybull offers more). And you'd seldom, if ever, see Vrancic routinely provide the defensive cover needed e.g. if Tettey ventures forward. IMO Vrancic is primarily an offensive weapon, more so than Trybull who will contribute more defensively. And this seems to me to be how DF sees him, since Mario has often been sent on as a substitute for one of the forward players (Buendia, Stiepermann). 
As I posted earlier, I expect Trybull to start tomorrow, with Mario coming on at some point later in the game.

I have no doubt Cantwell will do us proud tomorrow. He was excellent when he played before, and was unlucky to get injured and lose his place to Hernandez.

Leitner's absence is a continuing concern. Personally I would go with Vrancic for his passing ability. But had Trybull scored from six yards on Tuesday we would be calling for him to play again. Fine margins.

If we do struggle to break Rotherham down, I hope Farke makes changes nice and early to give the replacements time to have an impact.

I still believe we didn't do too much wrong midweek apart from not using the conditions to our advantage and shooting rather than trying to pass it in.

So I expect Cantwell to replace Onel but Trybull to keep his place. I think he concentrates a bit more than Mario, although I agree that Vrancic can pick a good pass.

What about Stiepermann moving to the left, Trybull for Mo and Vrancic in the 10 role. (Leaving Todd on bench.)

What about Stiepermann moving to the left, Trybull for Mo and Vrancic in the 10 role. (Leaving Todd on bench.)

I think Stiepermann' has been a bit of a revelation in his current role and I wouldn't want to move him because Hernadez is out.

Mario offers more as a change up option if the game is not going well. So a better option off the bench. Tom and Todd to start.

But it does demonstrate just how important Mo is and how we are incredibly fortunate to have a player of his quality given we are in the Championship.

I've seen some resolute performances from Rotherham this season so we might have to be patient in breaking them down.

I do hope we just smash em though and leave their heads spinning.

Looks as though it is Todd & Mario. Interesting re: Mario; I really thought it would be Tom for Mo. 

Edited by Chip20