Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

The advantage of 3 points ...

Just for interest, this is the difference between 3 point per win (3ppw) versus the old 2 (2ppw)

Under 3ppw we are 1st, and 2 wins ahead of the 6th placed team.

Under 2ppw, we'd be 3rd, and only 1 win ahead of the 6th placed team.

For Ipswich - 

Under 3ppw they are 24th and 2 wins behind the 21st placed team.

Under 2ppw, they would still be 24th, but only 1 win and a draw behind the 21st placed team.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.31.45.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 08.38.48.png

Edited by Surfer
Updated table for Ipswich GD

Jesus, you must be bored. What next? Bonus points for scoring three goals? Weighting according to the number of vowels in squad names?

I think Surfer could have made it a bit clearer what 3 points are

............................ in case there are any binners reading this topic 😆

• Like 3

Quick quiz (no googling!):

- What year did 2 points for a win come to an end in English football?

- Ditto Scotland?

- When did the remaining holdouts - including UEFA Champions League- adopt 3 points ppw?

4 hours ago, Woodman said:

I'll go first - and this is a complete guess: a) 1992/3 b) 1993/4 c) 1995/6. 

One out of those three guesses is right and very close on another ! Well done 

It was

On 30/11/2018 at 06:33, It's Character Forming said:

OP, how about doing the same comparing goal difference to goal average ?  I always wondered if it made any actual difference...

Sure, table updated to reflect today's results - under 2 points per win and either GD or GA we'd be 2nd to Leeds.

Added Points / Game and Estimated Points and GD based on current averages through rest of season.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2018 at 11:46, It's Character Forming said:

Cool but I still prefer the table showing the actual gap between teams that someone posted plus with that you get the team colours shown :classic_happy:

Something like this?   WA and WB are wins ahead for Norwich and Wins behind for Ipswich

Edited by Surfer
  • Thanks 1

If we were Leeds, would you have started a thread titled "The disadvantage of 3 points"?

The real advantage of 3 points for a win is in its encouragement of attacking football and the way it makes even a 9 point gap realistically closable. A 5 point gap to 3rd (which by tomorrow night may only be 3 points anyway), is nice but only illusorily "comfortable".

And the gap grows for Ipswich anyway to 7 points, effectively 8 if you include goal difference. On the question of when could they be officially relegated?  According to my math, they are on an average of 0.55 points per game, and the three teams above them are on 0.9 points per game. If we assume that these averages are maintained, the gap could not be closed after 42 g ames (April 13) even if they win all the rest from there on, and if they continue losing every game the gap could not be closed after 39 games (March 30 V Hull) even if they win all the rest from there on.  So the practical knowledge of relegation would be known well before those dates, but mathematically you have to assume that Ipswich could at any moment in time  win all their remaining games, and the teams above them lose all of theirs (note I have not checked to see if these three teams above them play each in the final 7 games or so, as someone then would hav etc gain at least one point, however I think the takeaway is that even if Ipswich have an historically bad season, you'd have to wait until at least April Fools Day for mathematical certainly of relegation to occur) . 

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 08.55.37.png

Edited by Surfer