Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

End moderation!

I feel strongly that all moderation on these boards should end.

Under the present climate, we''re all getting worked up, regardless of which camp we''re in, ie. pro or anti Worthless. So lets take the gloves off, the odd swear word might indeed slip through, but hey, have you been to FCR?, hell even the kids are at it!.

A lot of boards put a disclaimer to this fact before you enter their site, or have appropriate softwear to edit rude words, could this be done web team?.

Unless its deflamtory or libelist chat, let it rip.

It could be fun!.

Thoughts?.

As said several times in recent weeks (please read every thread and

reply Wiz!!), it''s being looked into - but there''s a long way to go and

it isn''t guaranteed to happen.

Don''t put it on your Christmas list for this year.

Please don''t!

One of the refreshing things about this board is that it isn''t the Wrath of the Barclay - there are plenty of ways to discuss issues without resorting to swearing - it''s a lazy way to emphasize a point - we don''t need it!

Instead of ending the moderation, to ''allow'' gloves to be off, why dont we keep the gloves on, and try and bring this board back to where it used to be - an excellent place for fans and discussion without so much back biting and sometimes, abuse!

Or doesnt that suit the type of posting you want to do Wiz?

Never had a problem with the moderation other than then time it sometimes takes posts to appear.

Vince:

Honestly, there are other places people can go if they want unmoderated chat. I know youve said in the past Archant could be liable re any slander / libel posted. For the sake of pleasing a few there are others that are happy with the way this board is, otherwise we wouldnt keep posting. I cant speak for everyone though.. You could always put it to the vote, if you thought there would be a suitable enough response.

For me, the moderation doesnt stop me posting at all, its all part of it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I feel strongly that all moderation on these boards should end.

Unless its deflamtory or libelist chat, let it rip.

[/quote]

Don''t agree with you on this one Wiz. The second part of your treatise that I quoted is the crucial one as far as I can see.

This is a message board that is connected to an operating business. I

don''t know what disclaimers the Pink''Un or should I say Archant, have

to protect them from what is posted on this site but moderation is

their way of protecting themselves from any legal action due to

libelist posting by a member of the posting community.

With your carrowroad.net, wrathofthebarclay and so on there''s nothing

at stake other than someone''s right to use a hosting service. Clearly

if that webspace host deems the content of the site to flammatory that

site would soon be torn down. I don''t think that''s an option for

Archant.

So I''m on the side of the moderators in this one. Whilst its a pain in

the butt sometimes over the delay it is there for a reason. A rather

serious reason.

If you don''t like it there are plenty of unmoderated boards out there.

Wiz,

Most of the posters on this site have sufficient grasp of our language to put over their points of view, quite clearly, without resorting to foul language.

This is one of the few forums that moderates out such obscenities and I for one would not find it at all attractive should they be allowed in.

Why not employ MODs to be online on the forum and moderate anything deemed innapropriate.

That way, you still kill the swearings but posts appear in seconds rather than hours.

Ive been on a few boards where MODs have been given powers to edit posts and all of them work extremely well.

[quote user="Stuart Sage"]Please don''t! One of the refreshing things about

this board is that it isn''t the Wrath of the Barclay - there

are plenty of ways to discuss issues without resorting to swearing

- it''s a lazy way to emphasize a point - we don''t need it![/quote]

The thing is, most forums that aren''t moderated with the exception of

WOTB are very much like this forum. The fact that the odd swear word

gets into posts isn''t a major problem as the posts are otherwise well

written so it doesn''t really detract from the point being made. I

personally think that sometimes a well placed expletive increases the

feeling of a post. It''s only when you get kids or people who think it

clever to swear you have a problem but I don''t get that impression from

people on this site. Webteam if you don''t experience a vast amount of

posts that you have to delete then I don''t see why you can''t have a

type of delayed moderation, where posts appear immediately but you and

people who visit these boards look through and flag up posts that are

inappropriate. I think I''m right in saying that something similar to

the system the BBC forums use would work very well here.

[quote]With your carrowroad.net, wrathofthebarclay and so on

there''s nothing at stake other than someone''s right to use a hosting

service. Clearly if that webspace host deems the content of the site to

flammatory that site would soon be torn down. I don''t think that''s an

option for Archant.[/quote]

sorry morph .. you are partially correct. true  sites could

lose their right to hosting, there is more at stake than that. I have a

solicitor on my forum and he assures me that the owners of the site

running the forum to could be sued .. also as well as the poster

So perhaps ordinary people do have a little more at stake than a large company.

I agree with ditching the system currently used - but only because it would mean you could post any time of day/night and posts would appear instantly. There are too many times when the same point/comment is made by two or three posters because they are not instant and sometimes posts are lost/appear in the wrong order.

A disclaimer on the site saying that Archant isn''t responsible for any comments on the boards alongside a team of online moderators (who don''t even have to be Archant staff - maybe a select few trustworthy posters) who can delete/edit posts would go a long way to making these boards a better place.

if you feel you need to swear to make a valid point then I would suggest that your point might need more measured consideration, what is it you actually want to get past the moderators, is it swearing, something defamatory or libellous perhaps, I''ve never had a post rejected by the moderators and never felt the need to resort to any of the above, maybe you should go (and stay) on wrath of the barclay where you can swear freely in front of children and make any bigotted comment you see fit (as I cant see what other purpose ending moderation would serve)

I have no objection to the moderating of abusive posts.  I think that''s the great thing about this board.  My only niggle is the time it takes from writing a message to when it gets posted.  This isn''t having a go at the web team.  I know you are very busy and of course you have other priorities than this board.  We all appreciate your work.  However, surely if you let a couple of regular posters moderate as well and allow messages through it would 1) improve the speed of the board and 2) ease your workload.

Or perhaps a couple of days trial of moderating from afar and instant posting to see what happens.  It works on other boards

I agree with DD, its more about how and when the mods moderate rather than the fact of moderation

If moderation ceased there would be a danger this became a glorified real time chat room with too many inane one liners (well now, I can think of at least one poster who might like that!) and abusive drivel like exists on the 606 message boards.

The time delay actually helps to preserve this rather more cultured style of debate- those with the attention span of a flea soon get bored because of the lack of instant response.

The only problem I can see is that the mods'' attendance to moderate is sometimes a bit patchy, especially on the "late shift" and often a barrage or messages turn up when they arrive at their PCs in the morning. However unless moderating this Board late at night and over the weekend becomes part of someone''s job description (with corresponding adjustment to pay etc) then we must presuambly continue to rely on their goodwill out of hours.

So Wiz, my view is that automatic message posting could pose a real threat to this Board, the community that has developed and the uniquely reasoned debate which results.

There is a legal risk in removing moderation, but many Boards overcome or minimise it with disclaimers. Maintaining moderation not only preserves this Board''s integrity but it also addresses that legal aspect too.

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]As said several times in recent weeks (please read every thread and reply Wiz!!), it''s being looked into - but there''s a long way to go and it isn''t guaranteed to happen.

Don''t put it on your Christmas list for this year.

[/quote]

I would be delighted to read every thread and reply Vince, if only the old and new message boards didn''t keep crashing every other day or so, making that simple task damn impossible!!!.[;)][;)]