Sign in to follow this  
pete

Missing Mo

We badly missed the midfield promptings of Moritz Leitner against Hull.  We lost creativity Vrancic could have fitted in there instead of Trybull and perhaps added that creative spark.  Buendia performed manfully during the first half but was pretty anonymous in the second.

We can only hope we see Mo sooner rather than later if we are to continue to progress.  He's getting rave reviews for his performances might he be sacrificed in the summer to fill the financial blackhole.

Luckily Krul was in form last night long may it continue errors in the tight games could cost us and his legions of fans could desert Tim.

We did miss Leitner, he’s pivotal to Farkes system. We have plenty of midfield options, but truth is no one available to do what Leitner does. 

Hopefully McLean is the like for like replacement to relieve some of the burden. The sooner he’s fit, the better. 

McLean looked well off the pace for Chump football even before his injury and missing almost half the season. Agree Vrancic may have been a better choice than Trybull against Hull and had it been at home he probably would have been. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

McLean looked well off the pace for Chump football even before his injury and missing almost half the season. Agree Vrancic may have been a better choice than Trybull against Hull and had it been at home he probably would have been. 

I think that’s a little harsh to say he was well off the pace. 

He’s barely had chance yet. He came very highly rated, with Celtic were keen on him. Hopefully he shows what he’s got soon, we certainly can’t rely on Leitner all season. 

8 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I think that’s a little harsh to say he was well off the pace. 

He’s barely had chance yet. He came very highly rated, with Celtic were keen on him. Hopefully he shows what he’s got soon, we certainly can’t rely on Leitner all season. 

Indeed Marco and nothing wrong with being off the pace in your first 2 games in a new league. What I meant was it will take McLean a fair few games to get to the same level as Mo or the rest of our midfield. And perhaps we need a plan B that doesn't rely so much on Leitner so the more options Farke has the better.

Perhaps Tryull or Maclean or whoever gets a run in the team will improve with playing matches. One of the drawbacks of having a settled team is if one of them is injured or suspended, any replacement might need a little time to find their best form.  We have to be able to win matches whoever plays - and that is the test of a long season - the team that gets success will be the one that has the best strength in depth.    We have several players capable of stepping up, so even if Mo misses other matches, the team will find a way of winning.  We are not a one man team.

The thing is... We don't really know how well Mo would have performed in that game. His best asset is the ability to knit the play together from front to back, with his crisp passing and vision. The pitch at Hull being as soggy and slow as it was may not have been conducive to the game Leitner likes to play.

I do think he's one of our most important players, but we have good depth in the midfield position and certainly decent cover. I am not going to worry too much about missing Mo at this stage!

Did I read somewhere that he'd come back from Hull on Tues to get a scan at the hospital, has there been any news since then?

It’s a long time since I’ve seen one of our players who seems to have lots of time with the ball.

He seems to be able to create time a space for himself, and this results in him rarely wasting a pass.

certainly a great signing by DF

its for sure DF knowledge of German football is paying off big time this season.