Sign in to follow this  
0peteddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Next season ?

I am presuming Worthy and our current Board will be in charge, meaning finances will be even tighter than this, but with a number of players out of contract e.g. Brennan, McVeigh, Jarvis, Henderson and Safri.  At least 5 players will exit the squad which may be the smallest in the Championship ay need to be even smaller.  What will that mean for our prospects next season, irrespective of wat division we may find ourself in.

The last instalment of the parachute money will be needed to fill the finance gap I cannot see 20,000 season tickets sold next season, so Worthy will need to get in a few frees or exchanges next season a la MLJ and JJ.  Not a prospect I am looking forward to.  So 9 years to wait for Little Norwich to climb back to the pinnacle of football may not be such a long time next season.

Play Offs this year is a non starter.  Even if Worthy replaced this scenario faces a new manager, not a pleasant prospect.

One of the benefits still of having been in the Prem is the standard of Academy football. We have some good young players coming through and I suspect the club is already making plans to assimilate them into the first team.

Ipswich ended up selling all their top prospects because of their debt and putting rivalry aside they would have had a pretty good team had they hung on to them.

If Norwich can maintain their financial stability then we have the material to build coming from within.

There needs to be some serious pruning of high wage players done if all hopes of promotion have gone.

The club needs to consolidate before it can move on.

This is just PATHETIC.

We need to sell our players and consolidate.  When we went up last year we spent peanuts (until it was too late and even then only 3mill) because we wanted to make sure of our long term future and the idea was if we went down we''d "do a charlton".  Instead the model we are following is Sheffield Weds.

We were championship favorites this season.  No ifs no buts.  We are now in a relegation battle I expect us to lose.  If Safri and Ashton leave and Worthington is still in charge we will go down.  You can forget 25000 crowds and consolidation then can''t you.

Now we''re talking about selling all our better players and hoping the youth team produces a squad that will take us up in 6 years time.  (A youth team that has produced no regular first teamers for 5 years unless you count Shackell as regular). This is actually worse than when that cretin Hamilton dismembered the team.  At least then all we expected was mid-table championship medicority.  No other club in the country would accept the kind of utter failure in a management team that we have endured for the last season and half (and yes I know he''d done a great job up until then I fully believed he should be given the chance to take us back up this year but I certainly don''t support giving him the right to take us down again).

Sack Worthington today.  Get someone in who can manage and try and build a promotion side for next season BEFORE all the money disapears.  This is our last chance for years.

Pete, this was a post that completely sums up our current feelings. The fact that it''s not even xmas and we are thinking about next season shows what a sorry state of affairs we are in. I do however disagree with your estimates on season tickets - i think that they will still all sell out.

I''ve always approached the worthington debate from the angle of ''will he get us promotion this season or next back to the prem?'' If the answer is no then dont back him, if the answer is yes, then back him. Considering the effect that Saf had at the tail end of last season, I''m very very surprised that he was not offered a new contract.

[quote user="mat gore"]

This is just PATHETIC.

We need to sell our players and consolidate.  When we went up last year we spent peanuts (until it was too late and even then only 3mill) because we wanted to make sure of our long term future and the idea was if we went down we''d "do a charlton".  Instead the model we are following is Sheffield Weds.

We were championship favorites this season.  No ifs no buts.  We are now in a relegation battle I expect us to lose.  If Safri and Ashton leave and Worthington is still in charge we will go down.  You can forget 25000 crowds and consolidation then can''t you.

Now we''re talking about selling all our better players and hoping the youth team produces a squad that will take us up in 6 years time.  (A youth team that has produced no regular first teamers for 5 years unless you count Shackell as regular). This is actually worse than when that cretin Hamilton dismembered the team.  At least then all we expected was mid-table championship medicority.  No other club in the country would accept the kind of utter failure in a management team that we have endured for the last season and half (and yes I know he''d done a great job up until then I fully believed he should be given the chance to take us back up this year but I certainly don''t support giving him the right to take us down again).

Sack Worthington today.  Get someone in who can manage and try and build a promotion side for next season BEFORE all the money disapears.  This is our last chance for years.

[/quote]

Thanks for disagreeing Mat. I respect your point of view.

I am concerned, however, about the Club debt and the large salaries paid to some ''stars'' versus the overall size of the playing budget and squad.

Cardiff had to seriously reduce their wage bill. They offloaded their so called ''stars'' and have had a decent season so far. It can be done.

I would love to see Ashton stay and do suspect he might this season at least. He is part of the team spine along with Etuhu (formerly Francis) Davenport or Shackell and Green.

Green should move on for his own benefit a change would do him good. How long since he hit his best form? He is basically too small to be an international keeper and does not dominate his area as he is too passive with his own defenders. At the present time we would be no worse without him and he is amoungst the highest paid.

Huckerby''s limitations are now outweighing his benefits. Thanks Hucks and goodbye.

Fleming surely has received his last contract.

Jarrett is a waste of a salary. Hope Plymouth really like him.

Brennan has cruised along in a middle gear too often.

Mckenzie has shot his bolt.

Safri is a set of gold taps when you can''t provide the bathtub.

Charlton, what is he doing here?

On the flip side:

Shackell is a future captain

Wright is a good buy.

Etuhu makes us far less lightweight.

Henderson deserves a run as a striker.

The Jarvis brothers, particularly Ryan, need first team development.

Doherty is looking like a stalwart.

Lewis. Fingers crossed his ability matches his physique.

Robinson. Good buy.

There are several who cannot be assessed on their number of games and who still deserve time there are some promising players, such as Spillaine coming through and there are plenty of other good players out there at other clubs.

The biggest problem with this team is it is not a balanced team, still, and you can''t make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

Well from what ive heard about Worthy he will not have a bad word said about him by any player (if so your dropped).Therefore the players cannot express themselves so keeping silent and just not signing new contracts is the only way they can express themselves,that and not giving a damn on the football field which is what i believe they are doing at the moment.We do have a good squad and can play football its just theres no will to win under the current boss.That is just my view,hense i believe after all the good work Worthy has done over the past few years his time is now up hes done all he can but times come with every manager when its time to go.