Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Old reserve team players

Random post but anyone remember the reserve games at Carrow road and some of the players who seemed to play for the reserves for years without making it to the first team apart from the odd match. I can remember Peter Vasper ,Nigel Cassidy,Tony woolmer, Glenn self,Colin Mc Donald,and Paul Kent,some who did get games were Trevor Howard, Neil o,Donnell Paul cheesley,MervinĀ  cawston and Roger Hansbury. Used to enjoyed these games.

Phil Alexander (1 1st team game?) Neil Riley/Jon Rigby/Paul Clayton/Mark Nightingale/Jim Fleeting?

Ā 

I know between them had a few 1st team games

Ā 

Paul Kent has a barbers at the bottom of Ketts Hill. We had a couple of drinks with him in the Pub before Wembley 2015, really nice bloke

What a shame there wasn't a meaningful Reserve competition now.

Perhaps then clubs could train, coach and developĀ their own players and not loan them out to so many other clubs.

Because there is no Reserve competition of note, the loan system is now completely abused by the top clubs who use the lower clubs to do their work for them without the fear of losing players who couldĀ benefit them in the future.Ā 

Ā 

Hi Hammer. From those names we must have been around at about the same time. I still have some of the old team sheets they used to sell for 1d! This is the oldest from 1959. Any of these names ring a bell? Obviously Phil Lythgoe and Jimmy Moran and I remember the goalkeeper Greatrex but canā€™t remember his first name. Love the way we played in ā€˜black knickersā€™ backĀ then!

4413126E-0BCD-4F52-837A-2CC17434541C.jpeg

Edited by Juggler
Wrong spelling

I used to go regularly in the early/mid 80sĀ Ā - I recall Phil Chapple seemed to be regularĀ Ā for several seasons in the reserves without getting into the first team. Ā Guys like KennyĀ Brown and Tiny Spearing were fairly regular before having spells in the first XI; Adrian CooteĀ as well.

From 1966 and weā€™re wearing shorts now! Tony WoolmerĀ is included but look at the Leicester Reserve keeper!

7D620426-9BB3-4D82-BFBD-E37664E5C41B.jpeg

Edited by Juggler
Wrong spelling

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

Hi Hammer. From those names we must have been around at about the same time. I still have some of the old team sheets they used to sell for 1d! This is the oldest from 1959. Any of these names ring a bell? Obviously Phil Lythgoe and Jimmy Moran and I remember the goalkeeper Greatrex but canā€™t remember his first name. Love the way we played in ā€˜black knickersā€™ backĀ then!

I may be wrong but that programme may be worth a few quid. I think the club used one of the reserve games at that time to sell tickets for a game in the 1959 Cup run and got a crowd of 26,000 which was a Football Combination record.Ā  Does anyone know any more?Ā 

2 hours ago, Juggler said:

Thanks for posting this Juggler. It will be of great interest at theĀ Still On The Ball group.Ā Ā I've got some of those sheets but from ten years later. Hoping one will post below. Peter MarinelloĀ was one we'd look forward to seeing back then.

1851736945_vArsenalRes1970.thumb.jpeg.dbef086ad0710746dcde3de122cdacdd.jpeg

Dylan, you might be right but iā€™d forgotten that. We played Cardiff in the 4th round the following week and I was atĀ that game so sounds about right.

Remember seeing a few of those names when my Dad used to take me to Saturday afternoon reserve matches when we were visiting grandparents in Norwich. Also Steve Grapes scoring a hattrick and Malcolm Darling scoring when we saw City play QPR which was my first ever first team game at Carrow Road in Easter 1971.

And the No2 for Arsenal was presumably Brendan Batson who went on to play for WBA.

Steve Govier's wife and mine were in beds next to each other having their first babies down at Drayton Hall.

Steve Grapes lives in Cardiff and is good mates with my son's brother in law and is known as Grappo.

I remember going to reserve games.

We used to sit in the old press box, it was just in front of the Directors box. At one game there was loads of hand written notes left from when the BBC had covered our game the previous Saturday, scraps of paper that read 'hand over to Bryan Butler', 'World Service' and the scores from the games that day.

My other memory was the tannoy announcer giving updates from the 1st team games, he would always phrase it the same way ''home team' nil, the Citeeeeee 1!' and if it was the other way round there was always a huge groan from the crowd.

When it was cold my friend used to run round the pitch at half time to warm up. šŸ™‚

Ā 

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I may be wrong but that programme may be worth a few quid. I think the club used one of the reserve games at that time to sell tickets for a game in the 1959 Cup run and got a crowd of 26,000 which was a Football Combination record.Ā  Does anyone know any more?Ā 

Ā 

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Think his name was John

Ā 

On ā€Ž26ā€Ž/ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž2018 at 16:37, FenwayFrank said:

Phil LythgoeĀ 

Derek LythgoeĀ  was my Best Man at my first wedding in 1959 I think it was John Greatrex

Loads of players were reserves and nothing more

Kenny Smith and Reg Pointer who played for CNS Old Boys turned outĀ  for The Reserves

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The reserve game against Plymouth was used to hand out small vouchers for the semiĀ  final against Luton. The actual tickets went on sale the following week. I joined the queue near the Pineapple pub, in front of Trowse railway bridge.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Phil Lythgoe is the current player liaison isnā€™t he ?Ā 

Yes, I was in the same year as him and his twin (Stuart) at school.

Ā 

20 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Yes, I was in the same year as him and his twin (Stuart) at school.

Ā 

Thorpe St Andrew ?

59 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Thorpe St Andrew ?

Yes Phil and Stuart went to Sprowston and lived on Creance Road

Those were the days when lots of NCFC players lodged in Sprowston Ruel Fox,Ā Mark Farrington,Ā DonĀ Heath and another lad I knew we'll who went to St Mirren

Just now, daly said:

Those were the days when lots of NCFC players lodged in Sprowston Ruel Fox,Ā Mark Farrington,Ā DonĀ Heath and another lad I knew wellĀ who went to St Mirren

Ā 

On 26/11/2018 at 21:29, Juggler said:

Nice to see so many names I had forgotten,my first match was 1961,I remember seeing so many famous players at carrow road returning from injury in the reserves .

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

The reserve game against Plymouth was used to hand out small vouchers for the semiĀ  final against Luton. The actual tickets went on sale the following week. I joined the queue near the Pineapple pub, in front of Trowse railway bridge.

I used to live in the row of terraced houses overlooking Trowse Common and was told by my neighbour that the queue ended outside our houses!Ā 

Someone I know who shall remain nameless told me that they didn't need to queue for tickets as they worked in a well known printing works in the area!Ā 

Just remembered the lad who lodged in Sprowston

Paul Kinnaird

Edited by daly

Norwich Schoolboys had a great team in the early 80s - the older day equivalent of the current Academy.Ā  Paul Clayton, Neil Riley, Greg Williams (a GK) all had trials at the club and i think all played for the Reserves at some point.Ā  This was in the era when Dale Gordon was coming through too (Gorleston or Great Yarmouth boys I believe?).

My older brother's claim to fame is saving two penalties from Disco Dale in the same game.Ā  He and Greg WilliamsĀ used to fight it out for the number 1 jersey for Norwich Schoolboys, who used to play on the 'mini-wembley' pitch at the Hewett School - where Goals is now.

Clanger (Paul Clayton) played for the 1st team (inc the Milk Cup Semi Final 1 st leg I think). Jon Rigby played a few times (I saved a penalty from him in a School game šŸ™‚Ā )Ā