Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Hull match thread

Recommended Posts

Mo Leitner is our Frenkie De Jong, he is the timekeeper, the pace setter, we knock the ball around sharpish and when the opportunity arises, the phase of play transits from possession/retention to possession in attack. The skill is not only in the feet of the player but also in the players brain. Tom Trybull may ultimately be Alex Tetteys successor, not Mo Leitners.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mo Leitner is our Frenkie De Jong, he is the timekeeper, the pace setter, we knock the ball around sharpish and when the opportunity arises, the phase of play transits from possession/retention to possession in attack. The skill is not only in the feet of the player but also in the players brain. Tom Trybull may ultimately be Alex Tetteys successor, not Mo Leitners.

No disagreement with that. The point I was making was that Trybull replacing Leitner didn't result in us reverting to the twin DMs in front of the back four that was a familiar feature of many games last season when Trybull and Tettey played together. Against Hull, Tettey continued to play just as he does when paired with Leitner, and Trybull had a freedom to roam similar to Leitner. I certainly wasn't suggesting that TT is equally suited and skilful in the role as ML!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mo Leitner is our Frenkie De Jong, he is the timekeeper, the pace setter, we knock the ball around sharpish and when the opportunity arises, the phase of play transits from possession/retention to possession in attack. The skill is not only in the feet of the player but also in the players brain. Tom Trybull may ultimately be Alex Tetteys successor, not Mo Leitners.

Its no secret that Leitner is my current POTS. He is a joy to watch - dictating play, exquisite touch and control, always available and one step ahead of the opposition.  Next time we play, watch how he is always available to take the ball from the man in possession (usually within 10 yards), always looking for the next pass and movement from those around him.  It's a little unfair to compare Trybull or Vrancic to him IMO - they both offer different things to the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

No disagreement with that. The point I was making was that Trybull replacing Leitner didn't result in us reverting to the twin DMs in front of the back four that was a familiar feature of many games last season when Trybull and Tettey played together. Against Hull, Tettey continued to play just as he does when paired with Leitner, and Trybull had a freedom to roam similar to Leitner. I certainly wasn't suggesting that TT is equally suited and skilful in the role as ML!

Yep, completely agree with that- it wasn't a return to two holding players and Trybull has the same license to roam. He's a fine option to have off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yep, completely agree with that- it wasn't a return to two holding players and Trybull has the same license to roam. He's a fine option to have off the bench.

Had the same license to roam but wasn’t the first option to pass to like Leitner consistently is.

Trybull is a good player, the problem is he’s trying to fill in for our most important one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Had the same license to roam but wasn’t the first option to pass to like Leitner consistently is.

Trybull is a good player, the problem is he’s trying to fill in for our most important one.

Totally. For me Vrancic remains the more natural replacement for Leitner due to his range of passing and composure on the ball though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Totally. For me Vrancic remains the more natural replacement for Leitner due to his range of passing and composure on the ball though.

Definitely. Vrancic should’ve started on Tuesday imo and hopefully does on Saturday if Leitner still out.

Have always been more impressed with Vrancic when he plays that role, looking at play in front of him and creating, rather than the no10, Maddison role he was sometimes put in last season.

Edited by Fiery Zac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×