Sign in to follow this  
pete

Another Krul Clanger

2 minutes ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

If we do get promoted, it would be a position I would be looking at reinforcing.

Why assume that Krul isn't going to get back to something approaching his previous level? No-one questioned his class when he was first choice keeper at Newcastle for 5 seasons, and capped for the Netherlands.

If we do get promoted, it would be a position I would be looking at reinforcing.

That and most others in the Prem unfortunately. But we are getting ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Why assume that Krul isn't going to get back to something approaching his previous level? No-one questioned his class when he was first choice keeper at Newcastle for 5 seasons, and capped for the Netherlands.

Because it's more sensible to go on the form of now rather than 5 years ago?

Not sure Krul done anything wrong really. Ideally would have turned it round the corner but it looked like they were offside for the goal and shouldnt have counted.

The mistakes by other goalkeepers in this division this weekend kind of demonstrates how we aint gonna get any better than Krul in this division.

So basically, what is required is a keeper who commands his areas, makes technically excellent saves from every shot (regardless of conditions, line-of-sight, deflections etc), is vocal and commands his defence, with excellent distribution, who never makes "goal-conceding" mistakes, on a budget, and is available in the Championship.

Looking forward to names being put forward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

So basically, what is required is a keeper who commands his areas, makes technically excellent saves from every shot (regardless of conditions, line-of-sight, deflections etc), is vocal and commands his defence, with excellent distribution, who never makes "goal-conceding" mistakes, on a budget, and is available in the Championship.

This is pretty much the definition of 'strawman.'

20 minutes ago, Ian said:

Well one of the more popular suggestions has been Forster. The out of form goalkeeper on about 80k a week.

Can't disagree more with those blaming Krul -  my friend is an ex-pro keeper and said there's not much more he could do on a wet pitch - ideally the ball would not go where it did, but then there ought to be defenders reacting.  (Also looked offside to me, the lino was nowhere near in line to make the decision). I guess this just shows that the game is about opinions.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Because it's more sensible to go on the form of now rather than 5 years ago?

Not when there are perfectly good explanations, in terms of injury and resulting limited opportunity, of why his performance level dropped in the first place. TK is 29, which is little more than mid-point in the first team careers of many keepers. He's unquestionably vindicated Webber and Farke's judgement in bringing him in on a two year contract, giving him a proper chance of resurrecting his top class career. People keep harping on about his "errors" in complete disregard of what he does so much better than any of the other keepers we've had in recent years (in marked contrast to other players whose game is far from perfect in several respects). 

He's a good 'keeper. End of .................. as they say.

It's a pity there's not another player to assume the mantle of 'scapegoat'at the moment as these constant anti/pro Krul posts are getting rather repetitive and tiresome.

With Martin re-located and Husband somewhere else (?) there doesn't appear to be an obvious candidate at the moment.

Even Sbreny is showing some promise in flashes, and we all like Dennis in any case.

What is even more tiresome is the fact that the next time Tim Krul errs (and he most certainly will at some stage in the future ... they all do as several examples yesterday showed) this post will almost certainly be resurrected and we will have to go through it all again.

As one who considers it his duty to studiously read every single posting on this forum (except for those in that ridiculous Brexit thread) I hereby register my strongest objection to this eventuality.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I've lost count of the number of goal keeping errors this weekend, but anybody watching the Merseyside derby will have seen the latest and last of them, courtesy of England's No.1 Pickford (in the 96th minute). If Everton get promoted to the EPL that's a position I think they should look to strengthen, oh, er, wait a minute ........... 

Not up to his usual standard of c0ck up.  But not the first time he has parried the ball into the danger area if he is not going to catch these shots perhaps might try to punch  

just my opinion re Tim Krul however since seeing replays of Saturday's game maybe could have been stronger in parrying the shot and getting his fists to it rather than the soft parry to strikers feet.  A little churlish perhaps but could do better and if it wasn't for WBA howler in first home game this argument would not even exist.  That was a truly awful error that will live long in the memory.

1 hour ago, pete said:

if it wasn't for WBA howler in first home game this argument would not even exist

Pukki missed a sitter against Rotherham, an absolute howler.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Not up to his usual standard of c0ck up

Maybe you can set up a chart and a report on each goal we concede and analyse where it sits on the KCU (Krul C0ck Up) scale. It’s getting boring talking about all the goals and positives from our current run

Rather than be angry with TK for the 'mistake ' on Saturday , I'm more cross with the Sheffield United keeper gifting Leeds their last gasp winner, if he hadn't done that , it would have left us 3 points clear. Tim's ' balls up' cost us nothing, other than waking the whole team up a bit.

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

No good - he just parries it back into the danger area.

I'm not so sure Fuzzar, looked like perfect control, lining it up to kick it long. Sign him up.

Even the Declan Rudd lookey likey made a really big howler the other night yet man u have activated a one year extension to his contract.....are they mental?