Sign in to follow this  
pete

Another Krul Clanger

Whilst City keep banging in the goals Krul's mistakes might not cost us dear but the current free scoring is likely to end sooner than later this is Norwich City.  When it starts to get tight we cannot afford Calamity Krul to make mistakes as watching the ball go past him, throw the ball straight to the opposition or fail to hold onto a shot straight at him.  Perhaps he feels secure as McGovern is no competition or we need to maintain the English qualified contingent, we can change that in January maybe give him a kick up the r's and drop him.

It was only against WBA errors cost us points which if we had a penalty taker a game City would have won.  Krul's errors and penalty misses have meant goal difference we would be 7 goals better off perhaps telling at seasons end.

• Sad 1

To get a better keeper than Krul....we'd need to either spend rhe sort of money we havent got...or get lucky with a loan signing i.e Gunn.

By and large after a shaky start ,he's been good for us, yes there's been a couple of howlers but as you point out , the alternative in McGovern would be a frightening thought

What is it with this (small) group of poster's who seem determined to keep on Krul's back and seem anxious to jump upon every perceived "mistake" by the 'keeper when the truth is that he is now doing a consistently good job between the posts since his initial horror show.

I, personally,feel that his signing was a good piece of business by the club and that we are fortunate to have a player of his calibre on the books. 

Do his critics actually still yearn for the days of young Angus Gunn between the sticks? Well the youngster made a few mistakes himself last season I seem to recall, and remind me just how much he cost Southampton just to sit on the bench.

Krul has played well for City since the WBA game. He has fitted into the the team ethos admirably and seems very much part of the healthy set up that seems to have come about.

I seem to remember the bad throw incident was discussed last time and many concluded that if a 'keeper is required to dispose of the ball quickly and short then occasionally he will get it wrong. By and large, Krul's distribution is good.

So to yesterday's mishap. Do we expect an impeccable goalkeeper who is able to cleanly stop every shot aimed at the goal every time? Does one even exist?

I do not even think that yesterday was as big a blunder as is being made out, although one report described the 'keeper as "spilling" the shot. It was in fact a long range , low shot hit with power that somehow made it's way through a crowded penalty area. Krul would have seen it late, it may have had a slight deflection, his effort and subsequent recovery were adequate and excellent in that order.

No mention either of the good saves he did make during the rest of the game, particularly one where he came out to somehow intercept a ball to prevent what seemed like a certain goal for the Swans.

Krul is one of those goalkeepers who is never reluctant to leave his line, Bruce Grobelaar style.Sometimes such performers can appear erratic, but it is called command of the box and is usually very effective in thwating opposition attacks.

It seems that with little to find fault in the team at the moment some posters remain keen to keep digging.

Lay off of Tim Krul. He'll do for me at least.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 5

Pete's character reminds me of one of Bor's characters.  Just sufficiently kosha to make us think he is real, but with an edge that is designed to get reactions. 

Even the goalkeeper was really an issue, we are still top of the league with a good defence and a growing positive goal difference. That suggests the team as a whole is doing ok, from goalkeeper to striker. I also think that McGovern is a decent enough goalkeeper as a back up who could do a decent enough job if required.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think he's adequate for the Championship, but if we get promoted I'd be surprised if he was first choice.

Davitt largely scored everyone else 7 or 8, but Krul only 6. It wasn't just the spilled shot, the save from their first half free kick, to his stronger left side, should really either have been comfortably held or at least pushed away from the goal.

He's obviously not a bad keeper but I think he's found his level in the Championship. I would definitely like to see an upgrade for the Premier League.

• Like 1

Speaking of Gunn, what a pointless move to Southampton it appears to be. Hasn’t played a single game and would have progressed his career far more playing every week here.

• Like 1

The way I see it, is that he's been an integral part of the team that's current 2 points clear at the top of the table. "Clangers" or not, his overall contribution the the defence has been substantial, so why risk making any sort of change?

Perhaps we should also drop the players who have dropped a "clanger" or two by missing a penalty?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Pete's character reminds me of one of Bor's characters.  Just sufficiently kosha to make us think he is real, but with an edge that is designed to get reactions. 

Even the goalkeeper was really an issue, we are still top of the league with a good defence and a growing positive goal difference. That suggests the team as a whole is doing ok, from goalkeeper to striker. I also think that McGovern is a decent enough goalkeeper as a back up who could do a decent enough job if required.

Hard to argue with both parts of your post Lakey, you have to ask yourself where we were in the summer? Gunn back to Man City, some rookies and McGovern.

Krul had long lay off, he is a good keeper and it will take a good time for him to get back to his best.

• Like 1

Home TeamSwanseaAway TeamNorwich

Shots on Target
Home6
Away7
Corners
Home7
Away2

They had more shots on target & corners then us, yet we yet won 1-4 - it shows our defending was better than them and that includes Krul

• Like 2

“I do not even think that yesterday was as big a blunder as is being made out, although one report described the 'keeper as "spilling" the shot. It was in fact a long range , low shot hit with power that somehow made it's way through a crowded penalty area. Krul would have seen it late, it may have had a slight deflection, his effort and subsequent recovery were adequate and excellent in that order.”

i would be just as concerned that when Krul did recover enough to block the first shot, it was then passed into the net, and in all that time our defenders didn’t move. If they’d have reacted to it instead of standing watching we could have possibly cleared the ball away.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JF said:

Speaking of Gunn, what a pointless move to Southampton it appears to be. Hasn’t played a single game and would have progressed his career far more playing every week here.

Absolutely. And there’s a good chance we could pass him in the other direction at the end of the season. If he goes back to Man C he’s unlikely to play. He might have pocketed a bit more money but with better advice he could of been knocking on Gareth Southgate’s  door by now.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say Krul is right now the obvious weak link in the team. We're less than 50% of the way through the season and he has already been directly responsible for 4 or 5 goals.

He's fine for now but if we were making one signing in January I'd argue keeper is the obvious choice.

• Like 1

Keepers are nearly always perceived to be directly responsible for conceding goals as the buck stops with them. People always question whether they could have done more.

• Like 1

Was it really though? It was a low shot that came through a lot of players and the weather didn't exactly look great. Yes he could have palmed it to the left but I really think this is just nit picking trying to blame Krul for the goal. Were top of the league and just won six games in a row, why can't people just enjoy the moment and stop looking for someone to blame for something! 

• Like 1

Leitner cost us a goal yesterday with a wayward shot,  and has done in the past. Is anyone calling for him to be dropped?

1 hour ago, pete said:

Whilst City keep banging in the goals Krul's mistakes might not cost us dear but the current free scoring is likely to end sooner than later this is Norwich City.  When it starts to get tight we cannot afford Calamity Krul to make mistakes as watching the ball go past him, throw the ball straight to the opposition or fail to hold onto a shot straight at him.  Perhaps he feels secure as McGovern is no competition or we need to maintain the English qualified contingent, we can change that in January maybe give him a kick up the r's and drop him.

It was only against WBA errors cost us points which if we had a penalty taker a game City would have won.  Krul's errors and penalty misses have meant goal difference we would be 7 goals better off perhaps telling at seasons end.

Really. Funny how you fail to mention the excellent saves he has made, or the fact that he has come back after an unwanted really serious injury. Like McGovern, and another point you fail to mention, he too is an experienced international goalkeeper!

3 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Only Pete, Keith Scott and Lincoln would be looking for negatives after a 4-1 away win.

+Highland Canary.

Even Derby Canary has joined the Percy Positives at the moment.

41 minutes ago, JF said:

Well yeah but we couldn't give Man City £13/14m for him like Southampton have. 

Hardly helped by the defenders, who all just stood and watched.

Slight error from the keeper, the first in a while. Not overly worried.

I think it's only fair to put all the blame on Krul for the goal yesterday. After all, it's not like he shut the rebound down with an excellent block and the defence played musical statues and did not react to it at all... the defence had no part in yesterday and covered themselves in glory with their rapid response to the danger.

Seriously. We're top of the league, having won 6 straight and scored 4 goals in each of the past 3 games (two of them away). Anyone looking for an excuse to whinge is a grade A ****.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Hardly helped by the defenders, who all just stood and watched.

Slight error from the keeper, the first in a while. Not overly worried.

As you and Fenway point out, the defence was still static after the second block. If he had help the ball could have been cleared, or someone could have got back to goal line etc.

53 minutes ago, DAVID SEWELL said:

Absolutely. And there’s a good chance we could pass him in the other direction at the end of the season. If he goes back to Man C he’s unlikely to play. He might have pocketed a bit more money but with better advice he could of been knocking on Gareth Southgate’s  door by now.

David old chap I'd say it's nailed on that he's unlikely to play for Man City if he goes back there seeing he signed a £13.5m five year deal in the summer to join Southampton.

Do please keep up. We know you've got form for this . Tilly still mine host at The Cottage when he left almost 10 years ago ring any bells ? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

55 minutes ago, DAVID SEWELL said:

Absolutely. And there’s a good chance we could pass him in the other direction at the end of the season. If he goes back to Man C he’s unlikely to play.

Now then Mr Sewell if you had been paying more attention to football rather than concentrating on having continual pops at me you might have realised that he won't be going back to Man City as Southampton bought him for around £13 million. 😜

I watched it live on iFollow and my first reaction was one of disappointment and I do think he was partly to blame, but I do think he is a very good addition to the team. Most goalkeepers have a ricket in them, but this team seems to be united and support each other. As a collective they have brought me so much joy over recent weeks, and I for one, am thoroughly enjoying this journey. I cannot remember the last time we had so many highly skilled  players in a squad. 

• Like 2

I dare say Krul will be disappointed that he didn't manage to hold it, but the defence should have moved more quickly to either block the shot or react to the rebound.  The thing is that most, if not nearly all, goals come from a mistake of sorts somewhere along the line and keepers aren't immune; Gunn made several last season but people were too busy scapegoating others to notice.  I guess given how well the season is going someone has to take the little flak that there is, and it's fallen to Krul.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I dare say Krul will be disappointed that he didn't manage to hold it, but the defence should have moved more quickly to either block the shot or react to the rebound.  The thing is that most, if not nearly all, goals come from a mistake of sorts somewhere along the line and keepers aren't immune; Gunn made several last season but people were too busy scapegoating others to notice.  I guess given how well the season is going someone has to take the little flak that there is, and it's fallen to Krul.

Agreed Branston, especially the comment about Gunn, maybe some on here need negative shiote to feed on?

6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Agreed Branston, especially the comment about Gunn, maybe some on here need negative shiote to feed on?

TBF, Pete’s Eeyore-ish comments do generate responses, 28 and counting, so you may be right. Even if it is a pile-on to say he’s an idiot.