Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

January sales

For me the perfect January would simply be - one in and one out. 

Sell olive whose time here is spent 

Buy a new keeper as krul still hasn’t convinced me and  competition is needed in any case. McGovern not good enough 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

For me the perfect January would simply be - one in and one out. 

Sell olive whose time here is spent 

Buy a new keeper as krul still hasn’t convinced me and  competition is needed in any case. McGovern not good enough 

Best you go speak to Mr Webber then!

I reckon we're still looking at this guy as previous reports have suggested. 

Would give us a decent option on the right wing for pace and would be available for under 1 million due to his contract.

3f1b679719590e80049853392fb481b6.png

ac5ad88d1ae2a2c536ef7f7dc08ea966.png1127c5f04fb5df64034dcfdf42e878c6.png

Also with what happened to Buendia yesterday, for those few minutes, I instantly got worried about what the team would be like without him or someone like him doing all the stuff he does in games. 

I don't know anything about how Marshall plays tbh so he may work there too but for me, that position is pretty key to a lot of creative things that happen with the team.

Sell Nelson Oliveria, Ivo Pinto (don’t need 3 right backs and he leaves in the summer on a free), Matt Jarvis (haha) and any of the guys out on loan that we can shift: husband, Wildschut, raggett.

loan a home grown left back in - we lack any cover. 

The issues with signing anyone is they need to be home grown. Which is why we can’t let Marshall leave, plus he is a decent winger when played for other clubs. 

Given where we are, our finances and our recent form, it’s unlikely we’ll sign anyone to go straight into the starting 11. I can’t see us signing another keeper, I would imagine Krul was relatively expensive for us, and McGovern is adequate cover. 

I’d be keener to see more signings of young players with potential, as we did with Madders. I don’t think we will be able to hold on to Emi for more than one season after this one, and if we don’t go up, I can see PL clubs coming in for Max A, Jamal, Teemu and perhaps Mo Leitner. So we need to keep the conveyor belt supplying reinforcements. 

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Didn't Webber say at the AGM that we would'nt be buying anyone in January as the players coming back from injury would be like new signings?

Yeah, I'll back it up with Paddy's tweet.

On the other hand this might be our best chance of getting back to the EPL and worth a gamble to strengthen the squad even more on the likes of Schindler etc. Perhaps a £2m transfer is well worth a punt with a £100m on offer if promoted. Also do we really not have any cover at LB now?

Not sure what Webber means when he says 'we have to be awake', but it may include keeping an eye on our rivals.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not sure what Webber means when he says 'we have to be awake', but it may include keeping an eye on our rivals

Well he'd said prior to the previous January window that we wouldn't be doing any business, then Pritchard and Jerome ended up leaving and Srbeny, Leitner and Hernandez came in.

So whilst he's not planning to bring anyone in, if a big money bid comes in, and someone insists on leaving, we'd need replacements.

If we are top in January I would guess we have to look at bringing in someone. We do have a reliable squad but a couple of injuries could upset the balance.

I just look at the way Buendia has grown into his role in the team and the contribution he now makes apart from scoring. If Pukki were to get injured it would be serious but we also have to respect the job the others are doing as well. Hernandez looks far more effective than Murphy did for example.

It's more a case of unloading rather than adding to it would seem.

Clearly we could now benefit from getting Oliveira from off the payroll and probably Windshutt and the others in the 'not quite suitable' tray (Raggett, Husband?) Pinto remains a difficult one as for so long he was the obvious first choice, was made captain and was generally popular with all and sundry. Fans were anxious to see the good side of him being a bit of a loose cannon (or defensive liability as some put it) but now the opposite seems to be the case and his has been quite a rapid decline from hero of sorts to villain of sorts. The quality of Aarons has exposed Ivor's weaknesses I suppose, whilst Passlack will clearly have a role to play sooner rather than later if reputation and hype are any measure.

It's a long time since we've had so few glaring requirements by this time of the season and we have yet to see the best of McClean and Marshall it would seem, and especially as Webber has stated that their respective returns to fitness will be like 'new signings.' There is also Godfrey and Thompson to take into account.

Wouldn't mind this Schindler though. Would appear to be an excellent investment, at the price at least.

Irrespective of all this I, personally, have an enormous amount of faith in the current regime's nous in the transfer market. We seem to have had so many brilliant additions in the past two seasons, and all without breaking the petty cash let alone the bank, that it is difficult not to.

In an ideal world we shift Nelson and Pinto for reasonable fees and maybe use those wages to bring in a loanee.

However I think it is more likely Passlack goes back to Dortmund and nobody comes in. If we're looking for someone to impact the rest of this season you'd ideally look in the English leagues to avoid an adjustment period and that costs.

If we need anyone in January, it will be someone who fits into the long term plan and also could be possible cover for any injuries/suspensions we might have in the second half of the season.   So no need to go and buy anyone who would go straight into the team, we have plenty of cover and personally would like to see Passlack stay as he is well versed in the club and could do a job on the right if needed.

Other than that, much as I like Pinto, he and Oliveira to go would be good for them both imo.

Ivo's no villain, fans liked him because of his good attitude and exciting bursts of pace down the wing. He wasn't great defensively and his end product with crossing wasn't fantastic. It just happens that Aarons is a much better player, and he's homegrown too.

Based on a couple of cup performances I have a feeling Felix Passlack would be ahead of Ivo if it came to it.

41 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Based on a couple of cup performances I have a feeling Felix Passlack would be ahead of Ivo if it came to it.

If fit I'd expect Marshall to be ahead of both of them, simply due to the homegrown rule as much as anything else.

Passlack is decent but Dortmund have already cancelled one loan spell of his due to a lack of playing time so I could see them doing it again.

36 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Rejecting interest for our best players will be a key achievement in January; Aarons & Lewis must be on the wish-list of several Premier League clubs...

I think the excellent business done over the summer should put us in a position  to reject all but the most ridiculous bids for our key players.

Oliveira out would be good for everyone concerned at this point, hopefully he can go on and have a good rest of his career somewhere.

Can't see us buying another 'Keeper in January, McGovern isn't good enough but realistically he's not likely to kick a ball in anger again this season unless Krul gets injured; if we get promoted we'll have the money to either look for a better option if Webber and Farke think we need it, or to bring in a decent backup.

Would like to see a new LB in as cover but most likely a youngster on loan as they won't realistically dislodge Lewis form the starting lineup, no sense in spending significant money on them. Someone like Steven Sessegnon (younger brother of Ryan) from Fulham might be ideal. 

Schindler has stated a couple of times he isn’t going to leave until the summer when his contract expires. He is eyeing up a big signing on fee. 

If Norwich can shift players like Pinto, Oliveira etc then we might see some players coming in, but I doubt there will be anyone other than loans. For me, the possibility of promotion actually makes it less likely anyone will be signed. The club won’t want to bring in a Championship quantity player if they feel there is a realistic chance of promotion and those players then becoming not good enough for the Prem. 

Left back cover would be nice, although Aarons and Passlack can both play there. Would be hard to get a loan player as back up as clubs don’t generally want their loanees to be back up (and players rarely want to go on loan as back up). 

• Like 1

The last thing we want to do is get to the Premiership and then start looking for players to bring in. We only need to look at the recent past to see how that worked out. Leroy Fer, Mbokani, Naismith. All Premiership quality players but none of them wanted to be here. They take huge sums of money from the club and then become disinterested. After one season they'll be off or hang around if the contract is still paying out a big salary. We' ve been here before (Watkins, Wildschut) and we get burnt everytime.

What works better is to pickup the most talented youngsters and then develop them. They are cheaper, have lower salaries, greater potential and more likely to buy into Farke's system than a journeyman pro. Maddison, Murphy twins, Redmond all fall into this category. Of course, doing it this way means you need to be looking two years upstream and some of the talent won't work out.

But I'd rather see us nurturing talent than watching a highly-paid, disinterested Naismith ambling around Carrow Road.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2018 at 20:54, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

For me, the possibility of promotion actually makes it less likely anyone will be signed. The club won’t want to bring in a Championship quantity player if they feel there is a realistic chance of promotion and those players then becoming not good enough for the Prem.

Agree with this- I think Middlesbrough signing Rhodes is a good example of this.

If we're still around the top 4 in January, its very much stick or twist. Fulham went for it by loaning in Mitrovic who almost singlehandedly took them up.  I agree though, Farke (and Webber) seem to have confidence in what they have and there's no doubt we have over achieved so far. I just hope we don't get to the end of the season with heroic failure and look back on what might have been.

Looks like Nelson will be loaned out to Besiktas, with a view to that move becoming permanent in the summer. I agree with what a lot on this thread are saying. More likely we'll bring a loan player in. Who knows what position, but another winger with an eye for goal would be good. Hernandez sometimes flits in and out of games, as much as I love the fella! And, yesterday, Buendia was excellent in first half but dropped off a bit second. (Having said that, he was still MOTM for me). It would just be good to have some options/cover.