Sign in to follow this  
GenerationA47

OT: Russ in world defence

He's right - a lot of people agree with the sentiments of the green party, but don't see it as a "real" party.  That is changing in Germany and Belgium and the more we get the likes of Trump and the Brazilian president elect who is going dismantle the rain forest and other chumps like these, the more green issues will come to the fore on the serious political front.  It can't happen too soon imo. 

We could carry on voting tory or labour in, I suppose.......that works well, doesn't it.........

With the ‘first past the post’ electoral system we have, the Greens have no hope of gaining any serious influence in this country’s government, nor any small party with significant but not overwhelming support.

IMHO it’s long past the time where we should get rid of the ridiculous House of Lords with its mandatory seats for bishops and hereditary peers, and replace it with a proportionally elected second chamber. Which should probably have the real power and influence, leaving the Houde of Commons with its geographic roots with a secondary, overseeing role, like the House of Lords has today.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We could carry on voting tory or labour in, I suppose.......that works well, doesn't it.........

And not a popular view, but it does work after a fashion. To (probably mis-) quote Churchill, democracy is the worst possible system. Apart from all the others.

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

And not a popular view, but it does work after a fashion. To (probably mis-) quote Churchill, democracy is the worst possible system. Apart from all the others.

I do wonder if green politics will rise more and more as youngsters - who are very aware of the issues - grow into voting age. It would be brilliant if green issues dominated politics - or at least were strong enough to make the main parties do a bit more on the green front.

We can hope...

Green ideas in many ways are the opposing philosophy to the populist movements that are so, well, popular at the moment. Being green is about thinking about more than yourself, sometimes making sacrifices for the good of others and the planet. Whereas UKIP, Orban, Trump and the rest are all about self-interest and an inability to empathise with anyone else.

• Like 2

The trouble with the current system is if you want rid of the current incumbent you usually have to vote tactically, likely for a party you don't really want and it will take two or three election cycles before you may see a change. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The trouble with the current system is if you want rid of the current incumbent you usually have to vote tactically, likely for a party you don't really want and it will take two or three election cycles before you may see a change. 

And the viability of that depends on whether you're in a 'safe' seat or not. Some of them carry such a huge majority for the incumbent that it would take a revolution to shift the sitting party. 

It is up to the Green Party to try and convince the rest of us who vote in the usual way so that eventually our views on any Green policies are adopted by the main parties. Much of the Green Party's policies are more aligned with Labour for instance.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is up to the Green Party to try and convince the rest of us who vote in the usual way so that eventually our views on any Green policies are adopted by the main parties.

A bit like UKIP did with their efforts to have some influence about leaving the EU....the tories handled that well........

No if people want greener politics they would have to vote green. The sooner Tory/Labour parties fragment and we get some new parties emerge from the wreckage the better. 

Safe seats help in the disillusionment of politics. You can't get rid of the incumbent, no matter how dreadful they are, so you give up voting. Then because more and more give up voting the incumbent gets more and more comfy. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Safe seats help in the disillusionment of politics. You can't get rid of the incumbent, no matter how dreadful they are, so you give up voting. Then because more and more give up voting the incumbent gets more and more comfy. 

I'm 62, have lived all over the place and have NEVER been in a place where my vote counted for anything. Marginal seats are where power lies - and that is totally wrong.  I hope Russ gets a high profile for the Green Party and they can make inroads into main stream politics like they have in Germany and Belgium.  Things are against them, the system - and also the media who rarely give them fair representation that recognises the overall amount of votes they get. 

I'm not totally for the Greens, they have to up their game a bit, but I am against the totally rubbish options that I have had for the last 44 years. Maybe Russ can be the man to do help the Greens to make a breakthrough.

There was some research done recently on the amount of representation different parties and influencers get on TV political programmes. Greens were on the bottom of the list, far less than parties with no MPs. I'm not sure how they can gat their voice heard without the massive funding and influential friends in media companies. 

I've always sympathised with the Green party but can't say I'm keen on their links with feminism, which is basically just man-hating these days. 

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I've always sympathised with the Green party but can't say I'm keen on their links with feminism, which is basically just man-hating these days. 

What do you base that on? IMHO the radical feminist stereotype of the seventies has pretty much died out and ideas like intersectionality (aka the bleeding obvious) have meant that feminism is largely about equality these days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What do you base that on? IMHO the radical feminist stereotype of the seventies has pretty much died out and ideas like intersectionality (aka the bleeding obvious) have meant that feminism is largely about equality these days.

Lol. Living in the modern world? All this man hating and and lack of due process - it's not far off being illegal to be male. 

Anyway, back to football. 

Have a good evening. 

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm 62, have lived all over the place and have NEVER been in a place where my vote counted for anything. Marginal seats are where power lies - and that is totally wrong.  I hope Russ gets a high profile for the Green Party and they can make inroads into main stream politics like they have in Germany and Belgium.  Things are against them, the system - and also the media who rarely give them fair representation that recognises the overall amount of votes they get. 

I'm not totally for the Greens, they have to up their game a bit, but I am against the totally rubbish options that I have had for the last 44 years. Maybe Russ can be the man to do help the Greens to make a breakthrough.

Agree with all of that, and would just add that if people ever looked past the name and instead at the actual policies of the Green party they would find a far more intelligent and coherent set of polices across all areas than offered by the mainstream numbskulls and vested interests who have alternated in power throughout my voting life.

Having recently had the first world war centenary, its pretty sobering to think about how just far this country has declined and diminshed during that 100 years. Of course there are many factors involved, some completely outside our control, but our dysfunctional electoral system and the incompetent governments it regularly produces must be a major factor - the current government being a prime example!

Jesus H. Christ! I come in after a hugely satisfying day & evening and log on to peruse the forum to find this!

Whilst I agree the establishment that is the Lib/lab/con has failed us for years, the Green Party ffs!

They're about as much use as taste buds on an arseh@le.

To vote Green is to vote for the majority. 

Just how it is unfortunately. They’ve got some reasonable policies but they’ve as much chance of implementing them as I have of riding Enable in next seasons Arc. 

Of course, when you’ve beggar all chance of winning, it’s easy to publish popular notions. Knowing that you will never have to implement them and deal with any social or economic fall-out is a snuggly comfort blanket.

7 hours ago, Jools said:

Jesus H. Christ! I come in after a hugely satisfying day & evening and log on to peruse the forum to find this!

Whilst I agree the establishment that is the Lib/lab/con has failed us for years, the Green Party ffs!

At least their policies are ethical and something to aspire to. It's actually reassuring there is a party that has decent ideals rather than outdated policies based on class.  Tories - always going to favour those with money and poor having to rely on hand outs and charity. Labour always going to favour working classes but in doing so always going to spend their way to economic ruin.  Greens have decent policies and if the Liberals ever got their act together, or if the tory and/or labour party split, we might evenually see a sea change in the way people vote and get a better balanced and more ethical parliament than we have probably ever had. 

8 hours ago, Jools said:

Since you invariably talk through yours, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you also had taste buds in close proximity.