Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

The weekend's

two biggest games, imo. 

Friday night: 1p5wich Town v West Bromwich Albion and that rather nice recurring problem for all true Canary fans.

Saturday 3pm. Swansea Town (CITY?) v Norwich City.

I make no apology for regularly bringing up the Ipswich dilemna because it means that our team is still flying high whilst the binmen remain in the basement of the league.  

With WBA starting to look ominous in the league a win for them might go against our interests. However an unlikely win for the binners would be a very useful confidence boost in their quest for survival.

On the basis that I would prefer our promotion chances to have every chance of being alive and kicking for the duration I wouldn't object to a home win, Buddha forbid.

A draw would maintain Lambert's unimpressive win less start. No new manager bounce there then? Comments on TWTW continually praise the mercenary Scot's 'impressive' start despite not getting a result against two of the divisions weaker teams.

They expect a bumper gate at the 'Loo on Friday night (well 20, 000 then) because of just how "brilliantly" their team are now playing since the arrival of the mini-messiah.In truth it will be because they are virtually giving half of the tickets away in order to create interest and for it all to look good on the television.

Desperate times.

As for City? Not much to say really except that I hope that they can pickup where they left off and repeat the way that they came out of the blocks at the last international break. Fingers crossed then that the Florida 'holiday' has a positive effect.

I'll settle for a steady draw. I feel that these recently relegated sides are beginning to find their feet at Championship level and that the Swans, in particular, must never be under-estimated ...for now at least. They may be a club in decline at the moment and it may be a bit permanent but they still have enough of that Premier League class about them to rise to the occasion.

I enjoyed the international break but it's nice to be able to indulge in all this speculation and intrigue again.

Forecast: Ipswich 1 WBA 3

Swansea 2 City 2.

Home win at the loo is fine by me, slows west Bromwich Albion down and also teases the binners using the. 'false dawn' tactic. They will need several miracles to survive, one swallow does not a summer make.

Draws all round would be a decent set of results, but if we are the best footballing side in the division, which imo we have been in recent weeks, we should be looking at all three points against Swansea.  Should be a good game.

I'd take a draw at Swansea.

I go by the old adage that any point away from home is a good one.

If Gayle is fit again, he'll surely score against them.  I'd take a draw for us too, but if we play as well as we did in our last away games at Wednesday and Forest, who knows.

I just hope our momentum hasn't stuttered after this break.

I always used to wonder why managers moaned about international breaks but can see why now. Two away games on the trot helps us on a way as we seem to play even better away from home.

I'm always a little bit uneasy when the players normal routine is changed. It must be nice to get a bit of sun and I may be totally wrong but from reading between the lines I get the feeling that it was mainly done for commercial reasons and the playing staff were not too keen.

Swansea will be a tough one but if our friends down the road managed their one and only win there I think we'll come away with something.

A draw looks a likely result and the bookies agree.

A point would be fine but Swansea are a good side and a loss would not be the end of the world; it might even give us a reality check that keeps our feet on the ground. I would certainly take a total 3 points from the two games this week - 1 win is better than 2 draws. But, the delusional optimist in me says we'll somehow find a way to win. Fingers crossed!

A draw at Swansea is fine. Their form is a bit erratic with recent wins but defeat at Rotherham.  It seems they still play a possession based style so could be a slow game for those going perhaps ? 

My hope is that it'll be two patient sides playing similarly but we are now better at that style of play than them, so I'm going with 3 points for us !

As for the binners, it's very hard to want them to win.  ANother draw would do nicely for me.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Baggies win all day long. If we're good enough we'll go up, if we aren't we won't. No need to rely on other teams.

Don't you think it would be very nice of the scum to help our promotion push by beating WBA,, at the time prolonging prolonging their own death by a thousand cuts. They can pick up ten or so wins against top teams, thereby assisting us...,....and still be relegated.

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we're good enough we'll go up, if we aren't we won't. No need to rely on other teams.

Don't get that at all. For me it's a holistic situation - every result is influential. So the more points a rival team drops the better, even if it is against a suffolk team.

Yes, it's a pity this match is taking place immediately following the international break, because it could have, and maybe still will, provide a useful measure of exactly how good we are. Of the three relegated sides, Swansea have least altered their style of play, which is very similar to ours, while nevertheless adapting sufficiently to become one of the division's currently most consistently improving sides, reflected in their home form in particular (3 wins out of last 4 matches).  They also have Wilfrid Bony back from injury. Should be a good, tactical, game; we'll need to be at our best to win it.

Far too early to want 1p5wich to be doing us favours. We just need to keep doing our own thing and they need to keep struggling. The way we’ve been playing we can beat anyone.

If this was March/April time I may feel differently but for now I want them (and Lambert) to get stuffed.

• Like 2

Can't agree with you Zac, every point dropped by our rival table toppers now will count just as much at the end of the season. Do agree that we can beat anyone though.

Logical call would be to cheer for the draw down in deepest darkest Suffolk tomorrow night, but I must admit that if WBA did turn them into a thick blue paste I wouldn't be too unhappy.

For us, it's a tricky one. Long away trip to a decent side after 2 weeks of relative disruption; I'd be happy with a point.

A point for us would be a solid result, I'm not sure how the Binswitch game will go.  If West Brom turn up, it could be a mauling.  A draw would suit us but I don't think 1p5wich are anywhere good enough to achieve that.... Should they win, well, they'll be putting up another statue. 

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Don't you think it would be very nice of the scum to help our promotion push by beating WBA,, at the time prolonging prolonging their own death by a thousand cuts. They can pick up ten or so wins against top teams, thereby assisting us...,....and still be relegated.

No. A win for them will kick start their season and as long as we keep winning and don't choke it doesn't matter what WBA do. Seriously, 10 wins against top teams and they'll be well clear of relegation.

Personally i don't care if it does kick start their season, I would rather we went up than they go down. That said the double would be great!

7 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Far too early to want 1p5wich to be doing us favours. We just need to keep doing our own thing and they need to keep struggling. The way we’ve been playing we can beat anyone.

If this was March/April time I may feel differently but for now I want them (and Lambert) to get stuffed.

spot on

and we've no certainty who will be in the mix come next April

a draw would probably best suit as it is not what either the binners or WBA want

as to any disruption to us then that applies to both teams

Let’s face it, if the binners win, it’s good because a promotion rival has dropped points. If they lose, it just cements them even more firmly to the bottom. A draw is a bit of both. So any result is good as far as we’re concerned. 

A win or a draw away from home at Swansea would be ok for us. So five out of six possible options are positive, the only one we don’t want is a loss to the Swans.

Well last night's fixture went according to expectations, but the outcome is that the Baggies are suddenly looking ominous.

They were very good last night, without reaching some of the heights that our boys have exhibited of late. You also have to take into account the weakness of the opposition.

With my liver demanding  an alcohol holiday (along with copious amounts of green tea and milk thistle) the week-end may not be as bad as expected.

Today on Sky we have fellow high flyers Sheffield United at Rotherham (12.30pm) and 'Boro at Brentford (5.30pm.) both these games being of great  interest to us now.

I believe that Villa are on tomorrow.

Sky coverage will ensure that the matches will be on the 'naughties' for all to witness.

A bonus over and above having a team playing well and plying their trade at the business end of the table is that there are many more fixtures in the league that excite interest. Mid-table mediocrity, like last season provided, dampens the enthusiasm somewhat.

Of course, wallowing around at the wrong end of the table also throws up more games to be involved with ...but we'll leave that level of entertainment to you know who. 

What time is the RU England v. Australia,  btw?

Edited by BroadstairsR