Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Chris Sutton

Really putting the boot into Gordon Taylor and the PFA. His father Mike has severe dementia as has my all time hero Duncan Forbes. Was this caused by constant heading of the old heavy balls ?

I did know about his Dad’s condition but still find it hard to think of him suffering as he is. Mike taught me at Hellesdon and despite being a bit of a taskmaster,  looking back it’s pretty clear that he was right about most (if not all) the things he tried to get us to be receptive to. He was a stickler for fitness and hard work and would not suffer fools; some of his reactions to opposition PE teachers were testament to that!! I still meet up with a few mates from school that also played football under his tutelage and normally a story or two will surface involving Mike after a couple of beers. He was, still is, a good man and a bloody tidy cricketer to boot. Its a crying shame to think of such a strong man being humbled by the cruellest of diseases. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards
Grammar
  • Like 1

The link to Alzheimer's and heading a football seems to be growing, to the extent that a ban on heading is being looked at for children's football.  I didn't watch it, but Shearer did a BBC programme on it I believe.  Sadly though, there are many ex-footballers who have dementia - our own Duncan Forbes being the most famous locally, though I believe Martin Peters also has it as well.  

There can't be another organisation anywhere on the planet that's had the same Chief Executive for 37 years. Taylor is also drawing over £2m a year salary which also makes him one of the highest paid.

From what I've read almost all PFA business seems to channelled through his mobile phone which is a crazy way to run something set up to help it's members.

It's high time he stepped down.

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

The link to Alzheimer's and heading a football seems to be growing, to the extent that a ban on heading is being looked at for children's football. 

Is this an over reaction? Can see the connection of course, but I would have thought that heading a modern lightweight ball is nothing like heading the old fashioned leather balls which used to threaten to knock your head off every time you went up for a header.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Is this an over reaction? Can see the connection of course, but I would have thought that heading a modern lightweight ball is nothing like heading the old fashioned leather balls which used to threaten to knock your head off every time you went up for a header.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/41932600

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41975305

Stop heading the ball? How? If you love football at 10 you will no doubt react to any ball in the air and attempt to head it.

Otherwise just play five a side indoors.

It isn't making any sense to me. What do people want? To stop enjoyment because it has risk. The stop tackling for under 11 as well. And goalkeepers throwing themselves at someone's feet.

Just baloney.