Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

New Sky EFL TV Deal Not Going Down Well With Some.

I think his response says it all really Lapps as i thought it was a subject that might provoke a discussion on this new TV deal but little did i know it would get derailed in the first post.

Ed Balls was on the Adrian Chiles show on 5 Live last week and would only say that the club were watching the situation. Well worth finding on a podcast. Think it was last Friday 

I was reading about this and in the list of “big” clubs who weren’t happy was the usual suspects - Leeds, Boro, Villa ... and Preston! What’s going on at Deepdale? Weren’t they calling us a “small” club before they played us earlier this season?

If Leeds, Villa and Boro we're able to negotiate separate deals with Sky, there wouldn't be a lot of cash left for the rest of the division. 

I don't think we can realistically expect to negotiate a better deal away from the EFL. 

I read in The Times last week that we were one of the less vocal clubs against the deal, although still very much opposed to it.

Premier League 2 may be the next discussion.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

32 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I read in The Times last week that we we were one of the less vocal clubs against the deal. Premier League 2 may be the next discussion.

In our interests maybe to have a poorer deal and keep rich clubs from getting richers meaning we are able to compete more. I don't fully believe that, but you never know.

I think there is a genuine issue here. My understanding is that some of the Championship clubs feel that red button for midweek games is a bit of a "game-changer" and undervalued in the deal.

The red button has certainly made the Sky package better value for those that are not obsessed by the EPL and is probably a big part of Sky's competition against the fact that BT has the Champion's league rights - I have both Sky and BT Sport but would rather watch a championship game involving us or our rivals than a Champions league game.

Given that some clubs feel (probably correctly) that this might also affect attendances, the Championship probably should get more.

However, ultimately all it would mean is that they would then be a position to pay their under-paid stars a little more and there would be greater wage and transfer value competition!

• Like 1

Sky pay the EFL clubs involved in a live game around £100,000 for a home game and £10,000 for an away game.

Burnley were on 6 times and were paid an additional £12.3 million for those games on top of the £34 million for domestic rights and £40 million for overseas they received.

I can see why some Championship clubs believe they can get a better deal than the one the EFL negotiated.

Can understand why some think it is undervalued compared to the Ridiculous figure that the Premier deal goes for. At the end of the day it's part of the reason why there's such a big gulf between the two leagues. 

Basically ITV Digital overpaid years back and found the audience figures didn't justify it.  Unless that changes or other TV players are interested, the TV rights lower down realistically are never going to be anywhere near the Prem at the moment.

I'm not sure how its divided between the Champs teams and the 3rd & 4th tiers ?  I can see a similar argument there that most of the value comes from the Championship, basically the same reason that the Prem broke away so it could control it's own revenue.

It is paltry in comparison but the EFL bargaining position is paltry in comparison.

When the big clubs are playing on Sunday, people stay for longer at my golf club, particularly if they don't have Sky at home.

I don't think the same would happen if we were on.

It is hype more often than not as our games have been very entertaining of late and better than most Prem games.

Weren’t Sky the only bidder for the EFL rights? Kind of difficult to play hardball in that situation.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who knows, it might be irrelevant for us next season

Trouble is it is usually relevant the season after

Parachute payments😀

Parachute payments

If we get promoted, will the board change the self financing policy?

Obviously some will disagree, but this squad will get hammered in the Prem. So new players would have to come in. And to be of a standard that will require higher wages once again. Unless we can somehow take the Burnley approach and try and keep our money realistically expecting to hang on for as long as possible.

Parachute payments don't seem to last long especially if you are in the Prem for one season only. They seem to just bail out some of the posers who you sign (Naismith?)

In fact, the gulf in the differing TV deals for the two divisions sums up the gulf itself and how difficult it is for a club like us to handle it.

There we have the problem.

I suppose we could deliberately just miss out every year😀

How long before someone cottons on?

No KG, If we went up we would have to adjust the model to the circumstances.