Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Points required to get promoted

I know the likes of Purple and Ricardo will start to form a view about what it will take this season to go up automatically 

Anyone had any educated guesses about how much we are talking about? 

In the past few seasons 90 points would have guaranteed automatic promotion with the 3rd place team ranging from 85 to 89 points. It will possibly be a bit lower this season simply because the leaders are already a few points down on what would be a typical top 3 tally after 17 games. I suspect 86 points will get 2nd place this year, but that's just a feeling.

If we get 100 points we'll definitely get promoted, I reckon. 😉 That's my educated guess.

Edited by Grando

The EFL Statistics site is using 89 points for automatic promotion, 74 for playoffs and 42 to avoid relegation. I think they start the season with those targets and then review them on a season by season basis as it progresses. Think they reset the targets around new year.

I think 90 should do it for the top two. Could we be on course? If we are in top two by New Year's Day?

And half of that, say 46, for a team to be safe, perhaps a last day issue, of not going down.

46 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

So far we have 33 points from 17 games = 1.94 per game.  over 46 games that comes to 89 points.

Obviously that's the best in the division at the moment !

Or, if we continue to get similar results to the ones we have so far against teams in similar positions and then adjust it to account for our slow start and comparative recent good form we'll get 103 points. My guess (fantasy) is somewhere between in the mid 90s.

I reckon 2 points average will see you across the line, so 92. As there's no one running away with it at the moment, it's going to be an exciting second half of the season.  If we get through our 8 games up to New Year (Swansea (a), Hull (a), Rotherham (h), Bolton (h), Bristol (a), Blackburn (a), Derby (h), Forest (h)) and are still there or thereabouts, we can all start to get a bit excited.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think my buddy Rickyyyy's not soothsaying this season 🧙‍♂️🔮

I shall resist the temptation this season until the halfway stage Nutty. Results have exceeded even the most optimistic expectations so a reappraisal based on some actual data will take a bit of time to review.

Needless to say it will be nice to be looking up rather than looking down.

Good call Bill, I'll just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. Of course there's the added spice of what's going on at the other end of the table.