Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

England

I realise it has been fashionable to decry the Nations tournament, and even, with some justification, the whole England international package, but surely it is difficult to find complaint about things since, Southgate's appointment, the last World Cup and the emergence of the so called "academy generation" of young players that seem to fit into the set-up seamlessly.

I, personally have found the Nations tournament enjoyable, particularly the last two games. The style of  football that England play is, rather like that of Farke's Norwich City,  good on the eye for the most part. I'm even liking Raheem Sterling these days (football wise at least.)

The future's not just yellow then.

Interestingly little Switzerland are through against the odds and didn't I see our own Timm Klose celebrating with the rest of them in the pictures this morning? He was unlucky to miss out on the World Cup through injury I seem to recall so it's good to see him back in the international fold and doing well.

Perhaps he'll be up against our boys in the semis? More good vibes for the club then.

Hang onto that man Mr. Webber.

• Like 1

Enjoyed yesterday and the tournament as a whole.

The only thing I don't quite understand is that UEFA brought in this tournament to avoid meaningless friendlies yet a three team pool means one team invariably has to play a friendly on match day. England's game against the USA for example.

I tend to follow England at football the same way I do the cricket these days, from a distance. If one of our players is playing for an international team at the same time, I would far rather watch their match than an England match.  So if Klose does get a game for Switzerland I'll be watching that game. 

I saw that Timm had started - at 0-2 not long into the game things weren't looking so great for the Swiss, but that was some comeback!

Re: England, its great to see that there's a sense of coming through the ranks, it has worked well for the Dutch, France and Germany over the years and was always disappointing that decent youngsters could see c10-20 u21 caps and then have their way blocked.  I guess the issue is when to remove the 'established' players, but the fact Southgate was previously with the u21s must be a huge help.

Re: the Nations Cup, I thought it was a decent idea to make matches more competitive - too many weren't any kind of 'event' but yesterday was all-but sold out.  My main issue is the three-team format for 'A' groups feels too few matches (at 1-1 we were going to be relegated, at 2-1 we top the group). Perhaps a tweak might be needed, but I hope it catches on.

Edited by Branston Pickle

As i was out yesterday i somehow managed to avoid the score and watched the highlights programme on ITV late last night as was impressed with how we played. What is not to enjoy in defeating 2 of the world's top teams in Spain and Croatia.

What is not to enjoy in defeating 2 of the world's top teams in Spain and Croatia.

We were above Spain but will no doubt be above Croatia now. Third I would expect.

One other point about the groups, Croatia had a minus 5 goal difference but a 1-1 draw put them through. Perhaps goal difference should count first before results against each other.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I tend to follow England at football the same way I do the cricket these days, from a distance. If one of our players is playing for an international team at the same time, I would far rather watch their match than an England match.  So if Klose does get a game for Switzerland I'll be watching that game. 

Klose played for them yesterday. Full 90 mins.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

...The style of  football that England play is, rather like that of Farke's Norwich City,  good on the eye for the most part...

I've been quietly appreciating the similarities between the Norwich and England styles for a while now as they seem to have been running in parallel to an extent for a few seasons. I think that Norwich are now actually a bit further in the evolution in that we work a little bit better as a team and are passing the ball in a more productive way; conversely, England are a bit more conservative and not so dynamic especially in the movement of the midfield.

England, however, obviously have (for the most part) vastly more individual skill in every position and are capable of scoring goals that you would rarely see from a Norwich shirt. The quality of set pieces is another area where England are on another level entirely. But the philosophy is highly comparable: playing out from the back, two holding midfielders and three attacking behind a lone striker, retaining possession. Norwich do rely a little more on the fullbacks for width.

At the end of the day, this Nations League is a lot more exciting than the meaningless international friendlies that they have replaced. They create more evenly matched and prestigious ties than random, pointless run outs against Paraguay and Nigeria.

They've prompted me to start watching England outside of major tournaments, something I haven't done for probably over a decade.

• Like 1

I've also enjoyed the Nations League, as others have said it gives the majority of the games on these international weeks more meaning. It's also enjoyable watching England again, been a long time since I've been able to say that!

Watching England was, for some time, akin to watching paint dry. It was boring, insipid, always underachieving. I think what Southgate has done recently has been excellent. I mean, it was beyond our wildest dreams to get to a semi-final of a World Cup, for example.

I think another parallel to Norwich City is the fact that there had clearly been a 'disconnect' with the England team and fans. They have worked hard on building up that trust and respect again. I actually get excited to watch England play now which is something I haven't said for a long time. The fact they're willing to bring in younger players and those from teams a bit more 'unfancied' than the usual top 4 is refreshing. I think all of this (and loads more probably) has helped to bring the fans closer to the team again. Good stuff.

I agree Bob, though there aren't that many English players playing as first choice for Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool these days anyway... 

• Like 1

I was at Wembley yesterday, in the upper tier so had a great opportunity to observe the entire pitch and the movement off the ball. We look an outstanding team at the moment, full of poise, verve and confidence. Players such as Chilwell, Gomez and Sancho have been a revelation (Sancho is going to be a phenomenal player), and it's wonderful to see a largely unheralded coach nurturing young players to play on the biggest stage of all with a total adherence to the footballing philosophy. Anyone who was at the U21 game at Carrow Road would have seen how well stocked we are for the future.

It's a million miles from the days of egomaniac, overrated big-club players reluctantly trying to gel despite their rivalries and differences (Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Ferdinand, Rooney). A 'golden generation' is born on a togetherness of identity and a willingness to learn, and playing for England is actually helping these players' development, rather than being seen as a temporary and inconvenient hiatus from the riches of Premier League football. Long may it continue.

• Like 2

Additionally, results this week mean that the other Nations League semi-finalists are Switzerland, Netherlands and Portugal. I fancy us to win it – I know it's not a major trophy, but it'd be great to continue our good form from the last couple of years and have a little something to show for it.

Those games are in Portugal next June which means a large England following so unfortunately the recipe of sun and beer come into play but let us hope the fans behave.

• Like 1

Did anyone see the U21s tear Denmark apart last night? It's just brilliant to see how well the young players are working together, and how defined the pathway to the senior team is.

And Solanke's backheel goal was just ridiculous!