Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

The Tony Martin programme

this show was always going to lead to a regurgitation of old arguments and views.    As long as we dont get a return of that chant at the match.

As someone who has some knowledge of this case I would say that the TV programme was, in general, quite good but failed to include one of the salient points! Where did the (unregistered) gun come from? Martin's response was that it had been left on the back seat of his car when he was drinking in Wisbech !! Nor the fact he had fired on a car reversing to turn in his gateway a year or two earlier which was the reason he lost his shotgun certificate......

There's any number of salient points that are overlooked by many, too much to go into, but the point is that a jury heard all of the evidence - not the cherry-picked version in the media  - and convicted him of murder; it was reduced in appeal (no jury) as he's bonkers.

I won't comment on the legalities of the trial or appeal. 

And the dramatic portion of the programme was just verbatim from the records.

But the ending of the programme revealed to me that there is someone freely walking about who thinks he is Paul Kersey. The explanation culminating with the hand becoming a gun was quite disturbing.

If you assault or even kill someone while preventing or stopping a crime, you will face some form of prosecution no doubt. Many would see you as a Samaritan others would see you as someone who has committed a crime.

I am not judging that either, but do worry that the streets have people walking about who shouldn't be and therefore, to me, constitute a threat to the public.

3 hours ago, thedarkside said:

As someone who has some knowledge of this case I would say that the TV programme was, in general, quite good but failed to include one of the salient points! Where did the (unregistered) gun come from? Martin's response was that it had been left on the back seat of his car when he was drinking in Wisbech !! Nor the fact he had fired on a car reversing to turn in his gateway a year or two earlier which was the reason he lost his shotgun certificate......

He had previously shot at kids scrumping in his orchard.

It was murder, premeditated murder - the moot point being whether he had the mental capacity to fully understand the implications of his action. His comment when being interviewed about being 'shot in the back of the head' as in China suggests he knew fully well what this was about.

This was certainly not reasonable force, as it was clear he had put himself into the position of not having to use that. He lied throughout which would suggest he knew he had to lie. And the stuff about him being 'molested' as a child only came out when everything else seemed to have failed.

He was not a farmer either - he lived off subsidies and inherited wealth.

Looking at the situation from his point of view the area was rife with **** stealing as if they had a right to which still goes on as they are a law onto themselves, plus the lack of policing in the area.

Just now, daly said:

Looking at the situation from his point of view the area was rife with **** stealing as if they had a right to which still goes on as they are a law onto themselves, plus the lack of policing in the area.